Photo

When should I deworm and vaccinate my foal?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel

Rachel

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:30 PM

My little filly wub.gif is already 6 weeks old! I can hardly believe it. She is growing like a weed and doing just wonderfully - a constant source of entertainment for all of us around here biggrin.gif. Now onto my question. When do I first deworm her and also get her her first shots? I dewormed my mare the day she foaled and then again last week if that means anything. Also, her umbilical stump hasn't completely dried up and fallen off yet. Should I be worried about that? Thanks in advance!
Proud to own 1 beautiful B gelding -- Rowbuck JJ

Rowbuck Commander BOB -- BOB gelding (sold)
Utopia's Lady Liberty -- Mickey Mouse granddaughter (sold)
Deiles Excellent Adventure -- Andy daughter (sold)
Stark's Private Doll -- 2007 Puck filly (sold)
Bubba -- 2008 son of Lucky Hart's Yahoo Eroo Aye (sold)

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 wwminis

wwminis

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:26 PM

Hi Rachel, saludando.gif
We start worming our foals at 2 months and once a month after that until they are 1 year old! We give them there first shots at 5 to 6 months of age or as our vet recommends, with a booster shot 30 days after the first! The Umbilical stump sometimes takes a while to dry up and fall off! As long as there is no swelling around the stump, it should be just fine! yes.gif We love to watch the babies play here also! aktion033.gif
Bill

W W Miniature Horse Farm
2005 World Top 10 in 28" & Under Mares, 2005 World Top 10 Solid Color Mares Reflections Fancy Foot Work CBY
Email wwminis@embarqmail.com
http://wwminihorses.tripod.com Jonesborough, TN. 37659

And then a little "Angel" appeared in my barn!

#3 nootka

nootka

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:41 PM

I would talk to my vet were I you, just because they get a better idea of your conditions and particular needs for your horses.
My vet recommends vaccinations beginning at 6 mo. for my area/horses, and worming to begin at 6 weeks as a rule. Zimectrin is a good wormer to use as it has a high safety margin, also Eqvelan, or pyrantel, I think it is is a good one, but definitely run it by your vet.

Liz M.
No links to my page here. I have no more minis.

LB Forum member since May, 1997
RIP Dell Tera's Betty "Gramma Pony" 1976-2008 ~ we will always miss you

#4 AJ

AJ

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:33 PM

Deworming at 2 mo's and 4way vaccination at the vets first farm visit after foal reaches 30 days. During summer vet attends farm regularly.

#5 rabbitsfizz

rabbitsfizz

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,869 posts
  • Interests:I have had horses most of my life, and I have been breeding Miniature Horses for just over thirty five years. I have a specific interest in colour and pattern genetics.

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:25 AM

Did you deworm the mare when she foaled and was she dewormed regularly before foaling?? If Yes, you can wait until two months, although I never do. I deworm at ten days with Fenbendazole (Panacur) and at one month with Ivermectin, and then at three months with the five day Guard (Fenbendazole again) Then I do them routinely with the mares. I am just about to do my first ever tapeworming as I suspect a colt who has come in and, if you do one, you have to do them all.
Jane

DUMP THE CHECKREIN!!!!!

All good things come in small packages.......including horses!
Proudly breeding British Miniature Horses since 1978.
http://www.shadowplayminihorses.co.uk/

#6 Dona

Dona

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:07 AM

IF the mare had her booster shots 1 month prior to foaling....the foal shouldn't need it's first shots until 5 - 6 months old. If the mare did NOT have her boosters 1 month prior to foaling, the foal will need to be started on shots earlier. Check with your vet on this & get their recommendations.
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Kickapoo Acres</span>....where we are breeding little & loud Overos!

Located in Southwestern Ohio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users