8 replies to this topic

#1 TNT

TNT

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Hi,

We are new miniature horse owners. Do you have any advice about cold/snowy weather care?

Thanks!

#2 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,291 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Quilting

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

That's a pretty general question. Is there anything in particular you want to know?
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head: make sure they are drinking (some don't drink enough when the water is too cold); when the temps drop increase hay to help them stay warm (the digestion of hay/fiber creates heat and helps warm them); be sure to feel them (topline and ribs) to make sure they are holding their weight (winter woolies make it difficult to see weight loss or even gain, they tend to look chubby in winter due to all the hair); guess that's all I can think of at the moment.

Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Showy, Caddy, Honey, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota and Jasper

Donkey: Tilly

2012 colts: Monty, Manny and Junior

#3 Marty

Marty

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,128 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

I always provide warm water. They don't like cold water in the winter and they need to keep drinking to keep from colicing so warm water here is a key factor in winter care. I also offer soaked beet pulp in warm water daily also in addition to their two feedings a day. Good quality grass hay is a must and last but not least, shelter, shelter, shelter, out of the winds and to keep them dry.

CMHR ~President~

www.Martysbarnyard.com

I'm no Angel but my child in heaven is. With his hand on my shoulder I can weather any storm.

Michael, My Archangel, My Teen Angel in Heaven
His life was brilliant, His love was pure, He saw an Angel, of that I'm sure...
September 1, 1987- June 10, 2006 Hopelessly devoted to you, then, now and forever
See you in my dreams my love

Welcome to my life grandaughter Lexis Clair Garrison I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

#4 Lori W

Lori W

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Miniature horses, Mini Whinnies 4-H Club,
    hot air ballooning in Seventh Heaven with my husband.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Since feed and water have been discussed already, I'll provide my opinion about being outside in the cold,,, As long as they're healthy and have a good thick furry haircoat, they can certainly be outside in cold weather. Don't blanket them unless they're old and/or have a poor haircoat or are clipped. A three sided shed or other windbreak is a benefit (really, a necessity) to provide some respite where they can get out of the rain or wind. Since coyotes are a problem in our area, we put our horses in the barn overnight and back outside during the day.

Because I work and he's retired, my hubby often feeds our horses for me and - bless his heart - he leaves them in their stalls during the day if the weather is bad (blowing snow, cold rain, wind chill in the teens). I'd put them out, at least for a few hours, but since he often cleans stalls, too, I'm certainly not going to complain!

Edited by Lori W, 21 December 2012 - 02:58 PM.

Wayward Winds Miniature Horses
Visit us at
www.waywardwindsminiatures.com
Home of these beloved stallions...
- LDB Double Troubles Gunsmoke (ASPC) / Silver Birchs DLBs Trouble Gunsmoke (AMHR), 37.5" blue eyed buckskin, son of Rhapsody's Rio Del Oro; grandson of Captain's Show-man & Rudolph's Golden Comanche
- Dusty Lane Vegas Bet A Buck, AMHR/AMHA, 32" grullo, homozygous for the dun factor; son of Hilltops Little Vegas; grandson of Iowas Little Kernel & Little Kings Buck On Broadway (BOB)

- Alvadars First Lieutenant, AMHR/AMHA, 34" buckskin, son of Little Kings Buckeroo Times Two; grandson of Boones Little Buckeroo.

#5 Hosscrazy

Hosscrazy

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Here's a link to my blog that has some good tips:

http://sweetwaternut...for-your-horse/

Liz N.
Liz N.
Forum Moderator
Located in Southern California - home to:
Quarter horses, miniature horses, and a few dogs.

#6 mshasta88

mshasta88

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

I live at 9000 ft in the mountains with 8 minis. Everyone so far has great information. Mine do great in the cold but I due lock them up at night only to keep them out of reach of lions, bears and coyotes. If it wasn’t for the extra predators around my house then I would just let them have access to a barn/windbreak. I don’t think any of us could stress enough to make sure you feel your minis because they may look fat with their winter coats but this can be deceiving.
Myles Shepherd
R bar S Miniatures & Equine Services
http://rbarsminiatur...vices.webs.com/

#7 Merogsrha

Merogsrha

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Dogs, My children, Reading, gardening, outdoors (when it is under 70 degrees)

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Can definetly attest to the fact of FEELING your mini's reguraly. I just got in a rescue who appears to be of healthy weight - until you touch her. Spine, Hips, Shoulders, Sternum are ALL easily felt and pronounced. Her winter woolies though give her a nice rounded, "plump" look... If you didnt touch her, you'd think she was on the plus side.

#8 targetsmom

targetsmom

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Lots of great information here already, especially on the blog, but one thing I didn't see mentioned was ICE! We often get ice where we are, and it is difficult for people and minis to walk on. We put down used bedding (with the poop removed), which for us is broken down pellets/sawdust, to cover any ice. Used kitty litter or fireplace ashes might also work, but we know the bedding is safe. We start stockpiling it about now, either in piles or containers. We let the minis make their own paths through the snow, which they do quite well with the snow depths we usually have around here.

Most of our minis have heated buckets in their stalls or heated tubs in their runs but for those we don't trust with electrical cords, we make insulated buckets by putting different sized buckets, one inside the other, with insulation in between. If needed, we use a regular carabiner to hang it. We also will add very warm water to top off buckets at bedtime. This gives them warm water to drink and keeps the insulated buckets from freezing.

Mary

On Target Miniatures, AMHA/AMHR/PtHA registered minis & Little Hooves 4-H Club
www.ontargetminiatures.com
Current avatar: Vermilyea Farms Exotic Exposure (B/W ex-broodmare now 4-H project: head shot); Aloha Acres Fashion by Magic (driving; also 4-H project); OTM Moonlight Snow (2013 B/W filly with ball); OTM Hit the Jackpot (2013 silver bay/white colt); OTM Sure Shot (2012 bay/white gelding); OTM Calling the Shots (2012 Gray/white filly). Almost half the herd of 14. Photos from summer 2013.

Some horses come and go, and others come, leave hoof prints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same. RIP Max & Target, our special boys.

#9 TNT

TNT

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for all the helpful answers. We keep them in a small barn at night and they have heated water buckets and plenty of hay. They seemed to love the last snow fall.

Have a Merry Christmas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users