Photo

What age do YOU wean??

21 replies to this topic

#1 mini horse mania

mini horse mania

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:mini horses, classic cars, good books,,,,work,,,work,,,work!!

Www.whiteoakboergoats.net

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

Ok- I know everyone weans at different times- 3-6 months- what are the pros and cons of weaning early/late?? We have had to wean early on one of our QH mares that was older, and she was getting pulled down so bad-but 4 months was the earliest. I am picking up my colt this weekend. He is 3 1/2 months old-born aug. 1st. I just think it is a bit early. Should I ask to leave him a bit longer?
Heather...http://www.whiteoakboergoats.net

Home of National Top Ten Supreme Halter ....Nostalgias Double Jeopardy...

We specialize in B size black pintos with great conformation, movement, pedigree and temperament in eastern nc.

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Tremor

Tremor

I gotta get a life...

• Youth Member
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

Personally I wean at 5-6 months.

EDIT: Under no circumstances (unless mare is in poor condition or dead) would I bring a foal home before 5-6 months. No way.

Edit again: I should say that I have weaned later. I weaned an August filly this spring at about 8-9 months of age.

#3 Wings

Wings

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

5-6 months is my rule of thumb. Later if the foal needs it and the mare won't be effected, earlier if the mare needs it. I wouldn't wean before 4 months unless there was a big health reason.

Marlanoc Miniature & Icelandic Horses

www.marlanoc.com
Wildflower Trouble With Love
Fire Walker Tinkers Toy Boy

Avatar Horse: Kooka Heights Mystical Dream

#4 disneyhorse

disneyhorse

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

I think it depends on the mare and foal. I wouldn't wean earlier than four months but I think five is average.

#5 Becky

Becky

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,960 posts
  • Interests:Miniature horses, of course!

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

I generally wean at 4 - 5 months of age. I make sure the foals are eating well and used to the diet they will be on after weaning. It's worked well here.
Redrock Miniature Horse Farm
Superior Splashed White and Tobiano Miniature Horses

Fiesta Acres Mystique - World Champion and Top 10 exotic and exciting jet black Jr Stallion

Catca Woods Duke Of Earl - Palomino tobiano/sabino pinto son of Lucky Four Rangers Imperial out of a daughter of Little Kings Phantom Buckeroo

Located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

#6 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,954 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

Our weaning ages are all over the place between 4 to 6+ months. A lot depends on the mare and in dependency of the foal. We even left one foal with his mom til he was almost 8 months old, but that was an usual situation.
Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#7 frostedpineminis

frostedpineminis

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:miniature horses, animal health, volleyball and spending time with family and friends

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

I wean at 4 months, foals are pretty well independant as far as I have noticed, dont really go to see mom and neither mom nor baby protests when I seperate but they are always weaned with another baby or more to play with and I make sure that they are readily eating a feed that is 16-18 percent protein, I havent had any trouble, if it looks like they need more of mom I wouldnt protest to keep them on up to 6 months but dont see a reason to ever leave them on after that.
www.frostedpineminis.com

#8 mini horse mania

mini horse mania

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:mini horses, classic cars, good books,,,,work,,,work,,,work!!

Www.whiteoakboergoats.net

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

Well- I just called to ask to leave him a bit longer with his mom, and found out he was weaned at 3 months old-2 weeks ago!! . What do I need to do special for him? Anything? I am just disgusted at this point-he wasnt supposed to be weaned until christmas...he already has the mare bred back !!!!
Heather...http://www.whiteoakboergoats.net

Home of National Top Ten Supreme Halter ....Nostalgias Double Jeopardy...

We specialize in B size black pintos with great conformation, movement, pedigree and temperament in eastern nc.

#9 Tremor

Tremor

I gotta get a life...

• Youth Member
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

Well- I just called to ask to leave him a bit longer with his mom, and found out he was weaned at 3 months old-2 weeks ago!! . What do I need to do special for him? Anything? I am just disgusted at this point-he wasnt supposed to be weaned until christmas...he already has the mare bred back !!!!

There's nothing wrong with breeding the mare back. We've always bred on the foal heat. The mares tell us when they need a year off.

Honestly I think all you can do is provide him good hay (alfalfa?) and a good feed with protein (14-16%)

#10 JMS Miniatures

JMS Miniatures

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

I would not wean any eariler then 4 months. There was a foal that we got back that was weaned at 3 months because momma was getting pulled down and it certaintly was not fun. Defintelly give a jr feed but I would also add some foal-lac pellets. I would not get the foal unless you know for sure that he is eating grain and what.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users