sanding feet

7 replies to this topic

#1 GAILS

GAILS

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

Just read a topic here where someone said they use their Double K clippers to sand horses feet. Would someone please explain how this is done? thanks
GAIL SPECK

#2 Becky

Becky

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,960 posts
  • Interests:Miniature horses, of course!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

You can buy the sanding attachment with replaceable sanding disks. You remove the clipper handpiece and replace it with the sanding attachment. This works really great to sand hoofs at horse shows.
Redrock Miniature Horse Farm
Superior Splashed White and Tobiano Miniature Horses

Fiesta Acres Mystique - World Champion and Top 10 exotic and exciting jet black Jr Stallion

Catca Woods Duke Of Earl - Palomino tobiano/sabino pinto son of Lucky Four Rangers Imperial out of a daughter of Little Kings Phantom Buckeroo

Located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

#3 Sandee

Sandee

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • Interests:miniature horses, sewing

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

I assume that they are referring to sanding the outside of the hoof to clean and smooth it before putting on polish for show. However, you must be very careful when using it as the walls of their feet are not thick as a big horse and you can do a bad oops. I use several grades of sandpaper to very carefully smooth the hoof walls of my guy with the white feet after washing and he gets sensative to even me using sandpaper.
There's nothing better for the inside of a person than the outside of a horse.....Will Rogers. Navarre Mini Acres
Royal Oaks Simply Awesome - 2008 Champion.... AMHR Nat'l Western Pleasure Driving 32" and Under
Royal Oaks Mandalay Bay - 2009 Champion....Wis.State Horse Council - mini/pony driving; 2010 Top Ten.... in Golden Age Jumper, Golden Age Pleasure Driving Under, Amateur and Open Halter Obstacle; 2011 Top Ten Nationals....in Golden Age Jumper & Golden Age Country Pleasure Under
Brush Creeks Magic Spell - 2011 Champion Park Harness Over ....AMHR Youth, Amateur, & Stakes

#4 ruffian

ruffian

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

There is a sanding wheel attachment for the Double K's. You can do the same thing with a drill and fine sanding wheel sold at hardward stores. It's used to smooth out the outside hoof wall ridges and bumps, making the hoof polish smoother and gives a more finished appearance. I've also used it to very carefully take down some heel or to gently trim a foal instead of using a rasp.

Surprisingly, the horses don't seem to mind it at all
Limited Edition Farm

HOME OF
ERL's Zeus Lightning Bolt
2009 AMHA WORLD GRAND CHAMPION SENIOR STALLION
Eastern Championships Grand Champion Senior Stallion.

LDS Smooth Operator
2011 AMHR NATIONAL YEARLING STALLION, 30 and under

LDS The Buckeroo Kid
[b]2011 AMHR NATIONAL Top Ten CP Driving Over -

#5 Bess Kelly

Bess Kelly

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

You must use a great deal of caution when doing these procedures. It goes fast and can get hot from the sanding action. In fact, the heat may be more noticeable to them than anythng else about it.....use care.
Bess
Bootstrap Manor
Franklin, VA

We love them all, prefer them small

#6 ruffian

ruffian

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

Wanted to add, if you do this while the feet are wet, you can take off too much very quickly as the feet are softer. I always sand the feet before bathing.

You can also sand them by hand with a sanding block, or a bit of sand paper wrapped around some wood, but it's a long hard process.
Limited Edition Farm

HOME OF

LDS Smooth Operator

LDS The Buckeroo Kid

#7 susanne

susanne

dB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,128 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

I've always wondered...

Does anyone here ever use a power buffer -- the sort used to buff oxidation out of automotive paint? This device is similar to a sander, but uses a chamois or much less abrasive material than sandpaper, so it would remove hoof wall in finer increments than a sander -- somwhat like buffing your fingernails with a power tool. Obviously, caution would still be needed, but it seems a bit safer than a sander.

........................................................................................

What if it's all a big hoax and we create a better world for nothing?

#8 ruffian

ruffian

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

I don't think that would take the ridges and bumps out. Plus the sanding wheels are only about 1" wide, and don't get into the ankle fetlock areas.
Limited Edition Farm

HOME OF

LDS Smooth Operator

LDS The Buckeroo Kid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users