Photo

Feeding Severly Underweight Pony Mare ((Pictures))

21 replies to this topic

#1 emnhorserider

emnhorserider

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

I am purchasing a underweight pony mare. She is 16 years old, about 12 hands palomino. Picking her up tomorrow. I need feeding advice. Her owner lacked in her nutritional needs, so she lost quite a bit of weight. A horse trader traded of his other horse for the little mare. I contacted him about her. His plans were to take her in her baby to auction. I decided I wanted to give her a shot.

I have very little experience with breeding. Have had 2 other foals and everything went well but their moms were in our care from beginning. .

Anyway she is pretty underweight. She should be foaling with in the next month or two apparently. What is the best route to go has for has feeding goes? She will have unlimited good quality coastal hay, mineral block. Thinking about mare plus with just a small amount of 12 % pelleted feed? Trying to figure out what is the best route to go. Any advice on her feeding would be greatly appreciated!

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 muffntuf

muffntuf

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

Do you know at all what she is getting right now?

Figure out how much underweight she is before you start taking action.

Visit Us At Triangle Acres
Home of ASPC:
Big N Rich FMF
Big N Rich I'M JUSTA PLAYBOY TAP
Big N Rich I"M JUSTA HOTTIE TAP
Triangle Acres Standing Ovation
I Like to Move It Move It TAP 2011 HOF MP Halter
AMHR: Sue's Lil' Laptop Angel
Daddly's Lil Dividend TAP
ASPR: Tulip
Lady Slipper
Synergy TAP - First inductee into the ASPR Halter Hall of Fame - 2011

#3 txminipinto

txminipinto

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:22 PM

First, you need a body score and I would take her to a vet for bloodwork and parasite check. Your initial feed plan is good. Has she been on any grain? If not, I would start on half pound increments to see how her digestive tract handles it. Increase in half pound increaments every other day as long as there is no diarrhea or colic. Wet beet pulp is a great filler with protein as well. My favorite weight supplement is Cool Calories, a 99% fat supplement sold thru SmartPak but I think you can get it elsewhere. It takes time to get weight on a horse and even longer on a wet mare. Good luck!
Carin Ponder, RVT
Iola, TX

Pondering Oaks Stables - Training, Sales, and Foaling services
Home of Pinto WORLD CHAMPIONS Happy Hooligan OK (HOF/ROM) and CSF Rosie Flores (ROM).
We work hard to make dreams come true!

Classic ASPC and Pinto Ponies

#4 MiLo Minis

MiLo Minis

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts
  • Interests:My daughter and driving....driving and driving! I am also a graphic designer - visit my website at www.designbylori.com

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

How underweight is "pretty underweight"? If she is severely malnourished then you don't want to put weight on her too quickly until after she foals. Anything you give her right now will go to growing the foal bigger rather than her and that could be hard on her in the long run. I cared for a very pregnant, very malnourished mare who was practically emaciated. After consulting with a vet and a nutritionist I set her up on a feed schedule of 3% of her body weight in good quality second cut grass hay. Once the foal was born I could start to put the feed to her but both the vet and nutritionist advisesd against doing that till he was born.
Lori Rafter

MiLo Acres Training Centre
Home of Maple Mountain Miniatures
A breeding and showing partnership with
my sister, Dale Zimon

Home of:
MiLo Acres Buckeye Captain Mack Splash
National Top Ten All Star
Canadian Top Ten Grand Champion B Stallion

and Echos Golden Arrogance!

Maple Mountain Miniatures

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it!" ~ Author unknown

#5 Guest_krissy3_*

Guest_krissy3_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

We rescued a QH that was about 200 lbs underweight or so, and 20 years old ... very ribby. I agree find out exactly what she was getting before , and get a vets advice and OK on the rest. We started with Hay , good old pasture grass hay of good quality. Then slowely introduced her to real pasture grass fresh , then a little Equine Senior, then Stradegy ( less sugar)... she beefed up in a month or so , and is AWSOME... 25 this year and the vet thinks she looks like a 10 year old. I dont believe in a lot of additives , a little corn oil for a little fat under the skin for winter and shine, carrots have a multitude if vitamins. Salt or mineral block is great ...and good clean hay. I really dont think you can go wrong with just starting out with giving lots of good quality hay....and if she is underweight , dont worry about the "grass belly"... just feed the poor thing, she will love you for it . mares in foal need a LOT more food ...keep it comm^in, just what i did for my Quarter horse that was very thin wink.gif PS milo mini has a point... my mare was NOT prego ...consult with the vet first .

#6 emnhorserider

emnhorserider

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:09 AM

I took some pictures of the little mare. Boy was I shocked when she got off the trailer. Skin and bones. I am feeding her unlimited hay, 14 % safe and sound with mare plus and some other supplements and access to grass part of the day.

#7 muffntuf

muffntuf

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

Take it slow, hopefully you are working with a vet. Bless you for homing her.
Visit Us At Triangle Acres
Home of ASPC:
Big N Rich FMF
Big N Rich I'M JUSTA PLAYBOY TAP
Big N Rich I"M JUSTA HOTTIE TAP
Triangle Acres Standing Ovation
I Like to Move It Move It TAP 2011 HOF MP Halter
AMHR: Sue's Lil' Laptop Angel
Daddly's Lil Dividend TAP
ASPR: Tulip
Lady Slipper
Synergy TAP - First inductee into the ASPR Halter Hall of Fame - 2011

#8 ~Lisa~

~Lisa~

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:39 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track with her and her feeding and the safe and sound is a great choice for her. Just wait in about 6-8 weeks she will not even look like the same horse. She wont be totally fit of course but amazing how quickly they can start looking better!

Lisa
Ruff N Tuff Minis and Shetlands

Ruff N Tuff Minis and Shetlands

#9 Reijel's Mom

Reijel's Mom

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

Bless you for taking her in, can't wait to see her in a month or so. Do be careful with the unlimited hay - my equine vet also recommended that for an underweight mare I bought but it was too much for her and she started to get colicy. Nothing serious thank goodness but we slowed down after that!
BTW, I think that mare might be older than 16.

#10 MiLo Minis

MiLo Minis

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts
  • Interests:My daughter and driving....driving and driving! I am also a graphic designer - visit my website at www.designbylori.com

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

This mare is SERIOUSLY underweight. Get her teeth checked immediately. Get her wormed. You really need to be careful NOT to feed her too much to start. Good quality grass hay fed a handful at a time in as many feedings per day as you can manage. Don't give her unlimited amounts as she may well gorge herself and that will only cause more problems. As I said earlier, you don't want the foal to do a whole lot of growing right now. She will give everything to him first anyway. Gradually increase the amounts of grass hay until the foal is born. Afterwards you can put her on a pregnant mare feed and add some oil. Talk to your vet or call your feed store and ask to speak to their nutritionist. Good luck with her and her baby!
Lori Rafter

MiLo Acres Training Centre
Home of Maple Mountain Miniatures
A breeding and showing partnership with
my sister, Dale Zimon

Home of:
MiLo Acres Buckeye Captain Mack Splash
National Top Ten All Star
Canadian Top Ten Grand Champion B Stallion

and Echos Golden Arrogance!

Maple Mountain Miniatures

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it!" ~ Author unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users