Photo

Cost of cremating a dog? and knowing when to euthanize.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Cimarron

Cimarron

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

My 16 yr old dog Sandy is nearing the end and I have been toying with the idea of having her cremated but called to see how much it would cost at our vet and they priced it at $198 plus 35 for Euthanization! That seems outrageous to me but I have never priced it before. That is way too much so we will just bury her but I wanted to know if that is reasonable. She weighs 35 pounds.
I really hate to bury her. She has been with my husband and I for 15 years since before we were married. I just cant bear to think of life without her. I have good days and bad days just like her. I am taking a week of vacation next week to spend with her.
She has a mass in her abdomen. She is doing fine most of the time, is eating, acting happy and runs in the yard. She has had a couple bouts of diahrea and throwing up in the past 3 weeks but has bounced back. You would never know she is 16th except that she is so thin. Everyone says she will tell me when she is ready.... Is that true? Thanks, Sheila

Edited by Cimarron, 04 June 2008 - 11:56 AM.

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 RobinRTrueJoy

RobinRTrueJoy

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Sheila,
I know from several sad experiences that eating is not a good way to decide if it is time. Most dogs will eat right up to the end. I once had my Doberman crunching on a dog biscuit as she was put to sleep. She suddenly became paralysed from her neck down( she was very old for a Dobie) but wanted a dog biscuit because she always got one at the vet's.
You need to watch to see if she still has many more good days than bad. Does she have pain? Is it easy to control, or is she just drugged up and sleeping a lot... thats no fun.
Is she vomiting? Diarrhea? Is her belly getting really distended? That wouldn't be comfortable.
I always seem to know somehow "when" its time. When they aren't having fun anymore, its time.
You will know when. Always remember that allowing your dog to go to the Rainbow bridge is your great gift to them, not holding them back for our own selfish needs is that gift.
I hope that you have a good week off with your dog.
Robin
ROBIN RUSSO
( I am not a vet, my opinions or hopefully helpful information comes from my own experience from having horses for 30 some years. Please contact your vet!)

TRUEJOY MINIATURES... home of Havencrofts Phantom Warrior, black homozygous pinto stallion.
Sewell, N.J.
Add a little "TRUEJOY" to your life!
truejoymin@aol.com
www.truejoyminiatures.com

#3 minie812

minie812

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • Interests:MINIATURE HORSES-GRANDKIDS & GREAT GRANDKIDS-A LITTLE FISHING-.KICKING BACK AND SPENDING TIME WITH FAMILY &-FRIENDS

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:37 PM

We had to put our three year old Aussie to sleep due to bad seizures. The vet said we could keep medicating more but the quality of his life was more important to me...he was my buddy and I miss him terribly but know I did the right thing after his grand mal seizure this last time. He is buried nx to our other older dogs. We have lost 3 dogs in 2 1/2 years. The others to old age and they died quietly in their sleep. bye-sad.gif
HOME OF "TINKER TOYS FIESTA"-HOMOZYGOUS SIRE OF NATIONAL & RESERVE CHAMPIONS.... www.willowrocminiaturehorsefarm.com
and "VERMILYEA FARMS ATLANTIS"- 2009 World Top 5 Two year old Stallion-29"& under
2009 Central Championship Top 3 Two year old Stallion-29"& under
2008 World Top 10 Yearling Stallion
2008 World Top 10 Futurity Yearling Stallion

Until one has loved an animal, one's soul remains unawakened...

#4 Mona

Mona

I just can't help myself :-)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,597 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, Horses, Dogs

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

The price you were quoted for the cremation and euthanasia sounds about right to me. It's such a tough decision to have to face as a loving pet owner, and I wish you the best in knowing when it's time and that you are doing what is best for your girl.
$$$ The Money Pit Ranch $$$

Home to the following large and small money gobblers:

"Cheyenne"
- Smokey Black Pinto Tennessee Walking Horse Mare
"Whitey" - White (Maximum Expressed Sabino Pinto) Tennessee Walking Horse Gelding

"Abby" - Spayed Female Boxer
"Monkey" - Neutered Male Chinese Crested/Chihuahua Mix

#5 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

It is a hard decision. Robin gave some good advice. Being an animal lover and sensitive to your dog's moods and behavior, I'm sure you will "know".

Many times, I've had our dog(s) and horses "ask" to be "let go". Even if you aren't an animal communicator, you will see it in their face and especially in their eyes......The spark of life is gone.

We have had our dogs cremated. One way you might look into is by calling your local humane society and asking if they would do it. The one we had at our old location provided individual cremations for pet owners. The cost was a little less than going through the vet. (The shelter near us now is a no-kill.)

God bless you in the decision you have to make.
Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#6 Neil

Neil

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(Cimarron @ Jun 4 2008, 07:53 AM) View Post

My 16 yr old dog Sandy is nearing the end and I have been toying with the idea of having her cremated but called to see how much it would cost at our vet and they priced it at $198 plus 35 for Euthanization! That seems outrageous to me but I have never priced it before. That is way too much so we will just bury her but I wanted to know if that is reasonable. She weighs 35 pounds.

I have a Norwich Terrier at the pet cemetary right now for cremation. The cost for a 10 lb dog is $125. When my Norfolk Terrier died last year the cost was $105. I would expect for a 35 lb dog the cost here would be a little higher.

The cost for having her put down was just over $42.

I don't envy what you are going through.

Neil I Hamilton
Rancho Sundowner
Madera Ranchos, CA

Eats Shoots and Leaves
or
Eats, Shoots, and Leaves

Say what you mean, mean what you say.

#7 horseplay

horseplay

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

I had a 5 lb dog cremated a few yaers ago and it was $150.00, My vet charges $75.00 to put a dog to sleep. so sorry yuo are having to go through this, so hard to lose a pet no.gif
I am ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!

To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.

#8 MeadowRidge Farm

MeadowRidge Farm

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with our grandkids, Standard Poodles, horses, donkeys, quilting and scrapbooking.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

We had our Shado, cremated last August. he died at home, he was 14. The cost of having him cremated was $175.00, but we also had a "private" cremation (one/only dog in the crematory at a time) I do know you can also have a group cremation done for alot less...but then all the ashes are mixed together. I didnt want that. Cremation also goes by the weight of the dog. Shado weighed #110. My daughter had her pomeranian cremated also last year.Sassy weighed 10 lbs, she also died at home, of old age, she was 18 yrs old. My daughter paid $155.00 for Sassy, also a private cremation. It is always so hard on us to lose a pet, who has been part of our family. (((hugs)))

Edited by MeadowRidge Farm, 04 June 2008 - 07:13 PM.

MEADOWRIDGE FARM, nestled in the beautiful northwoods of Wisconsin. Home to WOODSTOCK NORTH TOPAZ. PLEASE visit us at: www.meadowridgeminiatures.com

In memory of our beloved furchild of 13 years, Shado 7-15-1994~ 8-18-2007
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a bridge, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Memory of Lance, my brother -March 31, 1954 to April 28, 2008 -Nothing can ever take away, the love a heart holds dear. Fond memories linger everyday, remembrance keeps them near,

A special life leaves memories, and memories last forever!

#9 NoddalottaFarm

NoddalottaFarm

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've been there and its NOT easy. Right now, we're trying to convince my sister to let her 15 year old dog (with medical issues) go. As far as price, our vet clinic actually charges per pound or weight range. For example, I have pet rats, and it cost $30 to have one of them put down. We didn't pay to have her cremated, we just brought her home and burried her. My furkids didn't have to "tell" me it was time... when the time came, I just knew. You will know too.
~Diane G.~

Noddalotta Farm
Illinois

Hickory Hills Farm Little Samson (June 2, 1997 - August 21, 2008)
Rest in Peace little guy..... I miss you and I love you my little Sam-I-Am!

#10 The Simple Life Farm

The Simple Life Farm

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  • Interests:My husband and I train and show all our own horses, so all the mistakes and successes are our own.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

I just had to go through this myself for the first time. It is very hard to describe, but she will let you know when she is ready. You will get that "feeling". That is the last gift you can give her. May you be strong through this difficult time. Just know in your heart that you ARE making the right choice, do not doubt yourself.
Kelly Kolb

Visit my new updated website The Simple Life Farm

In loving memory of Divinity Nicole 7/27/1995 - 03/31/2009 My precious white Miniature Schnauzer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users