8 replies to this topic

#1 joylee123

joylee123

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:17 AM

Hey there,

My sweetie has offered to build me a mini hot walker. Could someone explain (and hopefully show some pictures wink.gif ) how to put together the drive train-for lack of a better term?? I've been told you use a car rear end and transmission with shifter for the speed control and use an electric motor for the power? Could someone explain and show me how the running part works and are connected together? We can weld the arms and supports ourselves, just not too sure on what we need for the working parts rolleyes.gif

Thanks so much saludando.gif
Joy

Vali Mini Ranch
Bill and Lauralee(Joy)Cunningham

http://www.valiminiranch.com
Lucky Four Buckdeluxe Bodacious Bey 30" AMHA/AMHR AMHA Regional Champion, World Futurity Top Ten, World Top Ten

Ravenwood Do You Remember 32.75" AMHA/AMHR  Multi Supreme Halter horse, Multi Grand Champion, Honor Roll Grand Champion, Multi Honor Roll Top Ten, World Top Ten Futurity.
Beloveds Double Divine One 29.5" AMHA/AMHR Multi World Champion Gelding, Multi World Top Ten, World Futurity Res.Champion Halter, World Futurity Top Ten Hunter, Multi Central Regional Champion, Multi Honor Roll Grand Champion, AMHA Ultimate Gelding Award, ROM
Vali Mini Ranch Bodacious Fiesta 30"
AMHA/AMHR Supreme Halter horse, Multi Grand Champion, Multi Honor Roll Top Ten.
Vali Mini Ranch Classic Melody 30" AMHA/AMHR AMHA Regional Res. Champion, World Top Ten

Deven Creek Patented Princess Gwen 32" Multi AMHA World Top Ten, Multi Supreme Halter horse

Westwind LKB Buckeroo Dream Chimera 33" AMHA/AMHR.Multi Grand Champion, MultiTop Ten Honor Roll, ROM

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 joylee123

joylee123

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:02 PM

Anyone out there unsure.gif unsure.gif rolleyes.gif

Vali Mini Ranch

Lucky Four Buckdeluxe Bodacious Bey 30" AMHA/AMHR AMHA Regional Champion, World Futurity Top Ten, World Top Ten

Ravenwood Do You Remember 32.75" AMHA/AMHR  Multi Supreme Halter horse, Multi Grand Champion, Honor Roll Grand Champion, Multi Honor Roll Top Ten, World Top Ten Futurity.
Beloveds Double Divine One 29.5" AMHA/AMHR Multi World Champion Gelding, Multi World Top Ten, World Futurity Res.Champion Halter, World Futurity Top Ten Hunter, Multi Central Regional Champion, Multi Honor Roll Grand Champion, AMHA Ultimate Gelding Award, ROM
Vali Mini Ranch Classic Melody 30" AMHA/AMHR AMHA Regional Res. Champion, World Top Ten

Deven Creek Patented Princess Gwen 32" Multi AMHA World Top Ten, Multi Supreme Halter horse

Westwind LKB Buckeroo Dream Chimera 33" AMHA/AMHR.Multi Grand Champion, MultiTop Ten Honor Roll, ROM

#3 Marty

Marty

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,258 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:22 PM

The best one I ever had was built by my first husband Bigfoot the Ape Man.

He welded chain link posts for the apparatus.

He used a washing machine motor of all things and set the RPMS.

The biggest problem was setting the time but he finally got it.

Worked great.

CMHR ~President~

www.Martysbarnyard.com

I'm no Angel but my child in heaven is. With his hand on my shoulder I can weather any storm.

Michael, My Archangel, My Teen Angel in Heaven
His life was brilliant, His love was pure, He saw an Angel, of that I'm sure...
September 1, 1987- June 10, 2006 Hopelessly devoted to you, then, now and forever
See you in my dreams my love

Welcome to my life grandaughter Lexis Clair Garrison I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

#4 hhpminis

hhpminis

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Interests:Miniature Horses (of course) all aspects, yes even mucking stalls. I love to travel and show my horses. My husband is supportive and tries to keep up on the honey-do lists I give him for the farm but it seems never ending. Still we love what we do.

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

I think the problem here is you are talking to mostly the women who dont actually do the work of making htem. HAHA
I will ask my husband to explain it later when we are both inside.
Mine is very simple. It is a single speed and goes one direction. I only use it for cooling down after I work them or drying them after a bath. It runs on an electric motor and is chain driven.
If you wanted to get fancy I am sure you could make it go faster or slower. I do remember my hubby saying something about a 2 speed rear end would make it go both directions?

Annette
Eastern Washington State
HHP Miniature Shetlands & Training Center
"We Share Your Dreams"
My Webpage

#5 joylee123

joylee123

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(hhpminis @ Jan 6 2008, 01:39 PM) View Post

I think the problem here is you are talking to mostly the women who dont actually do the work of making htem. HAHA
I will ask my husband to explain it later when we are both inside.
Mine is very simple. It is a single speed and goes one direction. I only use it for cooling down after I work them or drying them after a bath. It runs on an electric motor and is chain driven.
If you wanted to get fancy I am sure you could make it go faster or slower. I do remember my hubby saying something about a 2 speed rear end would make it go both directions?

hhpminis smile.gif Awesome biggrin.gif Thank you thank you!! Yes if you could please ask him, I'd sure appreciate it aktion033.gif aktion033.gif We just aren't sure about the mechanical items needed. I knew there was a rear end something 'er other involved ohmy.gif but not too sure how to use the electric motor.... does it turn the chain pulley to turn the rear end to make the arms turn? Do you have to fabricate the rear end to accomodate the chain? See what I mean ohmy.gif Do you by chance or could you by chance take some photos of it in the near future pray.gif
Thanks so much,

Joy

Marty ,
Bigfoot the Ape Man? new_rofl.gif new_rofl.gif new_rofl.gif

Vali Mini Ranch

#6 Becky

Becky

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,960 posts
  • Interests:Miniature horses, of course!

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:58 PM

Joy, if you'll send me your email address, I'll email pictures I just took of mine. It's a factory built walker, but older. And yes, it uses a 3 speed forward and reverse automotive transmission with an automotive rear end. Chrysler to be exact! Mine uses belts instead of chains. It has a 3/4 hp electric motor. I believe the arms are 18' long. You can email me if you like at redrock@swbell.net
Redrock Miniature Horse Farm
Superior Splashed White and Tobiano Miniature Horses

Fiesta Acres Mystique - World Champion and Top 10 exotic and exciting jet black Jr Stallion

Catca Woods Duke Of Earl - Palomino tobiano/sabino pinto son of Lucky Four Rangers Imperial out of a daughter of Little Kings Phantom Buckeroo

Located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

#7 xxs

xxs

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

You shouldn't use a chain drive. You should use a belt drive so it will slip if there is a lot of tension. A chain can be very dangerous in that if the horse were to rear and fall down, it will be dragged...I know of a valuable Arabian stallion that was actually dragged to death.
Blue Diamond Farm
http://www.bluediamondfarm.com
Avitar picture of Blue Diamond Tia Dalma 2008

gallopinkid@hotmail.com

#8 hhpminis

hhpminis

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Interests:Miniature Horses (of course) all aspects, yes even mucking stalls. I love to travel and show my horses. My husband is supportive and tries to keep up on the honey-do lists I give him for the farm but it seems never ending. Still we love what we do.

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

OK, here it is from the man. The most economical way is to get a rear end out of a car, any car. Pull the rear cover, weld up the spider gears in the rear end, stand it on end, take one side of the axle out and weld a plate against the housing where the axle came out. Weld a frame to stand it up so it doesn't tip over. Mount an electric motor by the pinion, put a pulley on the pinion, and a pulley on the motor and place a belt betweent he two to drive the rear end.
If you want to go both ways, use a reversable motor.
You can put a transmission in it if you want to go more than one speed or put a switch (reastat, that dims lights) on the electric motor, or use a variable speed motor.
I guess there are many ways to do it.
Hope this makes sense to your hubby, it is greek to me!
Oh and mine is belt driven not chain, see what I know! LOL
Annette
Eastern Washington State
HHP Miniature Shetlands & Training Center
"We Share Your Dreams"
My Webpage

#9 joylee123

joylee123

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

Thanks everybody biggrin.gif

hhpminis, I'm sure he'll know what you mean! Thanks so much yes.gif

Becky, I will email you!

Thanks again all aktion033.gif aktion033.gif
Joy

Vali Mini Ranch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users