13 replies to this topic

#1 yankee_minis

yankee_minis

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:minis, computers, being the Mom of 3 adults

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

I understand that you cannot touch your horse when you do the back-up, for instance. (horse backs up and turns a right angle, still going backwards)
I've seen people take both hands and put them on each side of the halter and push the horse back and guide them that way. I think this is "touching". Am I wrong?
Bit-O-Blue Miniature Horses in Central Maine
Become a Fan on Facebook: Bit-O-Blue Minis

Home of
Little Kings BT Yessirre (BTU son)

Buckeroo Granddaughters:
Buck Ons Sugarbay (sire-Buck On Broadway)
Erica's Big City Attention Please (sire-Big City)
Little Kings Russian Rita (sire-White Russian)
Shadys Cinnamon Bucks (sire-Buckeroo Bandolero)

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 eagles ring farm

eagles ring farm

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

just my opinion but I have seen the same, and in one case with one of my own horses had to do the same.

but the person who's horse back up nicely with no help except a cue will place better with the judges
but pushing your horse with their halter if necessary at least they have completed the obsticle

just my observation

Lori
Lori
www.eaglesringminiatures.com

Triple K Boogies Bow Tie-AMHA/AMHR-"Little Kings Boogie Buckeroo" son
Little Kings Buckeroo Buzz-A/R"Boones Little Buckeroo" Son-and 2011 AMHA Top Ten Senior Stallion 30-32"
Eagles Ring Bows Spicy Mustard Seed-A/R-2010 AMHR National Futurity Top Ten mare
Uno Lotus, D'Armond Darling Echo, Cedar Fields Awesome Coco Chanel, A&Lms Rompin Cody Chera Pooh, RF Bars Warrior Princess

#3 targetsmom

targetsmom

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

Rules about this can also vary - for example, in PtHA you are allowed to touch the horse when sidepassing. This seems to be interpreted as anything from a light touch with a thumb to body-checking! But again, the horse that sidepasses correctly without being touched will place higher.

Mary

On Target Miniatures, AMHA/AMHR/PtHA registered minis & Little Hooves 4-H Club
www.ontargetminiatures.com
Current avatar: Vermilyea Farms Exotic Exposure (B/W ex-broodmare now 4-H project: head shot); Aloha Acres Fashion by Magic (driving; also 4-H project); OTM Moonlight Snow (2013 B/W filly with ball); OTM Hit the Jackpot (2013 silver bay/white colt); OTM Sure Shot (2012 bay/white gelding); OTM Calling the Shots (2012 Gray/white filly). Almost half the herd of 14. Photos from summer 2013.

Some horses come and go, and others come, leave hoof prints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same. RIP Max & Target, our special boys.

#4 Ashley

Ashley

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:20 PM

Do NOT touch your horse at all or do ANYTHING that looks like touching or you WILL get DQ'ed
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath."
Author Unknown

#5 The Simple Life Farm

The Simple Life Farm

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  • Interests:My husband and I train and show all our own horses, so all the mistakes and successes are our own.

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

I also have been taught not to ever touch your horse in obstacle, or a DQ will be coming your way. yes.gif
Kelly Kolb

Visit my new updated website The Simple Life Farm

In loving memory of Divinity Nicole 7/27/1995 - 03/31/2009 My precious white Miniature Schnauzer

#6 JMS Miniatures

JMS Miniatures

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

The best way I think to teach yourself not to even to try to touch your horse by the halter is to use a lead with a stud chain on it. Not to punish the horse, but that way you don't touch the chain and you won't go near the horse's head.

#7 Cedar Ridge Farm

Cedar Ridge Farm

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:01 PM

Not only was I taught that it would mean a DQ, but it looks sooo much nicer to have a horse back without all that tugging and pushing. rolleyes.gif
Peggy Haverly

Cross Country Down Under

Watch for us in 2010

#8 Jill

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,392 posts
  • Interests:horses, public speaking, investing & money management (my career), loving our dogs, cooking, fishkeeping, reading (2-4 books a month), news junkie & US politics

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:39 AM

I would also feel that touching both sides of the halter to guide the horse backwards is about the same as touching the horse and if it were up to me, that would cause a dq. Especially seeing that others have trained their horses and will not need to handle the horse by grasping either side of the halter. Just the lead...
Whinny For Me Farm
Jill O'Roark & Harvey Hamilton, Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit our website at www.whinny4me.com to see our prestigiously bred champions and treasured companions including our beloved NATIONAL winning stallions:

Erica's Echos of My Destiny HOF, 33" Smokey Silver Black: Nat'l Champion / Res. Nat'l GRAND Champion / HOF
Erica's Gone and DunIT, 31" Smokey Grey Grullo: Nat'l Top Ten / AMHA Honor Roll / Multi Grand Champion --and--
Erica's Can't Take My Eyes Off You, 29" Black: 3x Nat'l Champion / Supreme Champion / Nat'l All Star Champion

#9 yankee_minis

yankee_minis

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:minis, computers, being the Mom of 3 adults

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:54 AM

Well I was wondering... because my daughter showed at a local show under AMHA rules and she never touched her horse. Since we had talked about it before, I was watching others and she was the only one that didn't touch-- she did it by the lead rope only. Feather was so good!!!
Thanks for your replies.
Bit-O-Blue Miniature Horses in Central Maine
Become a Fan on Facebook: Bit-O-Blue Minis

Home of
Little Kings BT Yessirre (BTU son)

Buckeroo Granddaughters:
Buck Ons Sugarbay (sire-Buck On Broadway)
Erica's Big City Attention Please (sire-Big City)
Little Kings Russian Rita (sire-White Russian)
Shadys Cinnamon Bucks (sire-Buckeroo Bandolero)

#10 Dream

Dream

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

I will hold the lead very close to the halter when executing the back, side pass, turns on the fore and hind. with a young horse I may put one or two fingers on the halter (be careful not to look like you are touching the face). I never put 2 hands on the halter or touch the horse anywhere else on its body. I haven't been DQ'd yet and always place well.
Michelle Courtemanche DVM
www.mpequine.com

Proud owner of JEM Nite Dancer

Follow me on Twitter @MTCDVM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users