Photo

Yearling colt with bloated/hay belly......

5 replies to this topic

#1 Lil' Horse Lover

Lil' Horse Lover

Totally Addicted

• Youth Member
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:I love my minis! I have two geldings named Alba Hursts Quite the Ruckus ("Ruckus") and "Spirit". And one filly named "Sunny".

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

I have a yearling colt that appears to have a hay belly. He gets about half a flake of alfalfa/grass mix twice a day. Its not really very stocky at all and is really good as far as nutrition and quality. Its 70% grass and 30% alfalfa. Some of it can be fairly stocky but I try not to give that stuff to him. He isn't getting any grain as of now, do you think I should get him on some??? If so what kind would be best?? Should I add anything to it??? I have some mare and foal grain, would that be good??? He is about 31.5-32" tall. Should I switch him over to grass hay??? Or is he fine on the grass/alfalfa mix with some foal grain?? He isn't fat at all he just has a hay/bloated belly. I attached a couple of recent photos of him but you can't really tell how big of a belly he really has, it sorta gives you a picture of what I am talking about, he is the pinto. I also have a 15 year old stallion with the same type of belly. He gets exaclty the same hay and amount. Should I change his feed in any way??? I also attached a photo of him, he is the silver dapple. Any info. will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

In Loving memory of "Potentos Smoke" a.k.a "Smokie" ~Black~29" (died at 10 months old) 2/14/05-12/23/05.
Spirit~Chesnut pinto~27"(4 yr. old gelding)
Alba Hursts Quite the Ruckus~Chestnut pinto~28"(3 yr. gelding)
Sunny~Palomino~35.5" (2 yr. old filly)

ThreeMinute Boogie~Dun QH~(28 yr. old rescue gelding)
Leos Flaxen Red~Sorrel w/flaxen mane/tail Paint (solid)~ (5 yr. old gelding)

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Frankie

Frankie

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Tennis, and my 4 Grandsons and 1 Granddaughter!

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

Has he been wormed on a regular schedule?
He is missing a lot of nutrients by not giving him grain, so yes, I think he should have some. Has he never had grain?
I use Platform Mare and foal. My weanling gets almost the amount of hay you are giving, PLUS pretty much all the grain he wants. I keep track and he is eating about 5 cups on the a.m. and 5 cups in the p.m. He does not have that belly, is filling out nicely.
I believe it will brighten up your colt as well, giving them more energy and making them feel better.
If he has never had grain, I would start him slow the first few days. I think you will see improvement in a short amount of time.
Good luck.

CAROLYN

Email me

BUCKEYE'S WCF QUEEN OF HEARTS
CMHR Miss Tennessee "Misty"

#3 Lil' Horse Lover

Lil' Horse Lover

Totally Addicted

• Youth Member
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:I love my minis! I have two geldings named Alba Hursts Quite the Ruckus ("Ruckus") and "Spirit". And one filly named "Sunny".

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(Frankie @ Sep 24 2006, 07:32 PM) View Post

Has he been wormed on a regular schedule?
He is missing a lot of nutrients by not giving him grain, so yes, I think he should have some. Has he never had grain?
I use Platform Mare and foal. My weanling gets almost the amount of hay you are giving, PLUS pretty much all the grain he wants. I keep track and he is eating about 5 cups on the a.m. and 5 cups in the p.m. He does not have that belly, is filling out nicely.
I believe it will brighten up your colt as well, giving them more energy and making them feel better.
If he has never had grain, I would start him slow the first few days. I think you will see improvement in a short amount of time.
Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Yes he was on grain until about a couple of months ago, he was also wormed around then. I'll get him wormed and I will start him on it slowly and work him up. So should I give him as much as he wants once he is totally used to it??? Thanks for the input!!!
In Loving memory of "Potentos Smoke" a.k.a "Smokie" ~Black~29" (died at 10 months old) 2/14/05-12/23/05.
Spirit~Chesnut pinto~27"(4 yr. old gelding)
Alba Hursts Quite the Ruckus~Chestnut pinto~28"(3 yr. gelding)
Sunny~Palomino~35.5" (2 yr. old filly)

ThreeMinute Boogie~Dun QH~(28 yr. old rescue gelding)
Leos Flaxen Red~Sorrel w/flaxen mane/tail Paint (solid)~ (5 yr. old gelding)

#4 Guest_kaykay_*

Guest_kaykay_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:50 AM

Hes so cute smile.gif I would get him on a good foal grain and up his hay. A half a flake 2x per day is not much for a growing colt. Some grains can be fed free choice and some cant. be sure and read the label. If he was mine i would leave him on the alfalfa/grass mix hay and add the grain. But you will get many different opinions on that smile.gif

#5 HGFarm

HGFarm

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,591 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

There was an article a while back in MHWand our vet (who raised Minis for years) confirmed that Minis need more protein than the big cousins. A pot belly can be a sign of not enough protein. Also I would check worming schedule and with what type of wormer.

Laurie
Heather Glen Farm

AMHA/AMHR Appaloosas

#6 Sue_C.

Sue_C.

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts
  • Interests:DRIVING my minis, and going for nice long walks with my best buddy, Baillie...my min pin...dog of my life.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

A pot belly can be a sign of not enough protein.

Exactly so! I had been feeding my bunch, Barley/oats/corn, but had my Vet out to draw blood on a couple of yearlings because they just weren't thriving, and looked potty. The only thing that he could find, was theat their protein levels were down some. Since then, I have had a lot of luck with my Purina sweetina, Omelene 200 and 300. No more pot-bellied babies, and the mares, stallion and geldings are in perfect flesh.
"God forbid I should go to any Heaven in which there are no Horses"

Crocker's Critters Miniature Horses

Nova Scotia, Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users