Signs to watch for as foaling approaches

19 replies to this topic

#1 wcr

wcr

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:46 AM

One of the most asked questions I see on the forum is what signs to watch for that the mare is getting ready to foal. Changes start about a month out with the bagging and body changes that experienced people look for to predict when a mare is leading up to foaling.

Let's hear from all you experienced people what signs you look for, at what time you put your mare in the barn, when you know foaling is imminent. All mares are different but we all have signs we watch out for.

I have found that mares start to bag up about a month out. As soon as they start to bag then I keep them close to keep an eye on them. I spend more time with them scratching and feeling the bag as it develops and baby my mares as they like the attention and are used to me messing with them. This rapport helps when I have to be in the stall at foaling time and they are used to my presence.

As foaling time approaches they will get a little like jello in the muscles above their tail(not all do this) Sometimes you can see the hooves move in this area when the foal is in position to be delivered.

The last week or so the foal moves into position towards the birth canal and your blimpy looking mare will start to look more slab-sided. This is definately when I put them in the barn under cameras. They will also lose the rounded abdomen in front of their back legs and tend to be a little flatter. Edema and milk veins along the bottom of their abdomen and in front of the bag tends to be more prominent.

I know I will think of more so lets hear from everyone.
Kathi Donnell
WARDS CREEK RANCH (WCR)

Rogue River, Oregon

Home to - DORADAS SPIRITWALKER

WORLD CHAMPION
RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION
Pinto Champion

Overo Horse of the Year 2003, 2004 and 2005

Visit us online: Wards Creek Ranch Online

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 pepperhill

pepperhill

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Interests:Pepperhill Miniatures started as a way to let my young daughters (4 and 5 yrs. at the time) be involved with horses. I bought 3 mares. We now have 14! The miniature horse has done wonderful things for my daughters confidence and sense of responsibility. We don't get to as many shows as I would like, but we usually enter 2 or 3 a year. We take our minis to parades, birthday parties and retirement centers. We have between 1 and 10 foals per year and my daughters attend every one. We also have 7 riding horses, 1 mini donkey, 1 mini mule, 2 bucket calves, 4 cats, 7 dogs, exotic pheasants, peafowl, and ducks. I am so glad to have found this forum!

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:03 PM

I watch for the bag development, of course, but I also pay attention to their rear end as a whole. They can start walking funny on those back legs. As the muscles start to relax they get loose gaited and unbalanced. I watch for that softening of the tail area, and have noticed that many cannot hold their tails down towards the end. Also, the elongation and swelling of the vulva area is a good thing to watch. When they get really close they start kicking at their belly and nipping at their sides in a reaction to painful contractions, and they seem to want to stand off by themselves. And finally, I have a few mares that stand with their butts pushed up against the fence, almost as if the counter pressure feels good. As we all know, there isn't just one or two sure-fire things to look at to make foaling predictions. Maybe these observations will help! Linda
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, marguarita in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "Wooo Hooo what a ride!!"

#3 rabbitsfizz

rabbitsfizz

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,897 posts
  • Interests:I have had horses most of my life, and I have been breeding Miniature Horses for just over thirty five years. I have a specific interest in colour and pattern genetics.

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

Define "bagging up"!!! smile.gif
My mares bags start changing around Christmas, and it is from then on that they are checked every day.
This year my foals are due later and so the change is starting later.
From now on, which is up to four months from foaling, I can see a definite change, especially in my maiden mare. Her tiny little scrunched up baby bag has sort of relaxed, you can now feel both nipples, and they are definitely larger, deeper than they were.
My experienced mares, who are not due this year until May, the "left over" bag they had from the last foal has gone and the bag is developing in a similar fashion too the maiden, except they will start to make milk before she does.
Probably rolleyes.gif
The Arabs always started to actually bag up, ie let down and start a tiny bit of milk production that you could feel but not express, thirteen weeks before they foaled.
The Minis do roughly the same, but each is far more of a law unto herself than the Arabs ever were.
Again, the Golden Rule of Foaling is....
There is NO rule!! wacko.gif yes.gif
Jane

DUMP THE CHECKREIN!!!!!

All good things come in small packages.......including horses!
Proudly breeding British Miniature Horses since 1978.
http://www.shadowplayminihorses.co.uk/

#4 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,047 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:58 PM

Nicole just provided a great photo example of a mare "dropping" -- which is a definite sign.

I also watch a mare's bag (or rather feel!) and I also feel the mare's butt muscles. The muscles get all mushy -- one description I tend to use is "jello butt".

Some mares, but not all, will have a "bloody show" where the blood vessels will come to the surface and expand inside the vagina.

If liquid is able to be expressed from the mare's teats, the sign that colostrum is present is how sticky and thick the liquid is. The consistency can change over night. (We are a milk test strip user.)

Mares will flip their tails a lot, kick at their bellies, and bite at their sides.

MA

Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#5 littlesteppers

littlesteppers

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

Last year I took this picture of my mare..I came in to upload it..when I looked out the window she had her foal!!
IPB Image
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
- Teddy Roosevelt

"It isn't that liberals are ignorant, its just that they know so much that isn't so."
- Ronald Reagan

#6 Joyce

Joyce

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:17 PM

First off, I hand breed so know approximately when the mare is due, give or take a few days. I watch the bags, look for the V shape of the mare, keep her on camera where I can watch her in her stall nights, and most of all I go by the "bloody show" in the vagina. When it turns that bloody dark red, foaling is emminent.
Besides the camera I also use the Breeder Alert so I don't have to spend nights in the barn. I have been present for every birth but one which was an old mare who didn't lay down to foal outside so the Breeder Alert didn't go off. The sack broke when the baby landed on the ground apparently and all was well but I missed seeing the little fellow arrive.
Joyce

Miniatures are like potato chips......you can't have just one !!
An Animark Ultrasound Distributor
Home to: Cedar Books Big Business, Little Folks American Express & Mustardseeds Mickeys Image

#7 HGFarm

HGFarm

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,591 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

Oh boy, well I dont think ANY of the Mini mares have read the 'rule books' on what to do prior to foaling. I have had them bag anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks prior. I have had some that really relaxed and got the 'rafter looking' rear- some did not at all. I have had some wax up, some never did.

I watch for over all belly shape- and the nipples on the bag (which may or may not be a sign!!) changing which way they are pointing.

However, my mares come in when they are at about 305 days, as I had one foal on day 310!!! I have a camera and a breeder alert as well and my beeper going off is the sign I look for, LOL!!! One thing I have observed with the camera and beeper. MOST of the time, when they get close - like a day or two before foaling, they do not seem to lay flat at ALL. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, another good sign is the color inside the vulva deepens to a DARK deep red prior to foaling rather than just the healthy pink. I find this sign pretty consistant.

Laurie
Heather Glen Farm

AMHA/AMHR Appaloosas

#8 OhHorsePee

OhHorsePee

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

Any advice for one that wants to kill you if you touch her? I think I'm gonna have trouble! It is Promise. She is 50% better than she was when I first got her. But I do know she is not going to be a picnic to assist if needed and she is a maiden. Kay has been able to witness her behaviors. Terrible!
And I just have to say that it is wonderful all of the information you guys generously hand out. I think your great!
Fran
Fran

Thorn Meadow Farm

Thorn Meadow is located in Thornville, Ohio. A couple of our accomplishments include:

D&S NESTLIES CRUNCH (HOF)2007 AMHR National top 5 in Country Pleasure Driving and 4th in Stallion Solid Color Over.

BUCKEYE WCF CLASSICAL BLUE EYED BABY
(2007 Congress Reserve Champion Foundation Amateur owned and shown mare: 2007 Congress 7th place Foundation Mare, Yearling 40"& Under: 5th place Congress Foundation Futurity Yearling Mare and 2007 Congress 3rd place Foundation Mare, Amateur Incentive)

#9 Guest_kaykay_*

Guest_kaykay_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:07 PM

fran i am praying really hard that ginger doesnt have trouble because i have serious doubts that she would let you help. For sure I think you are going to need to have a twitch on hand just in case.

One of the most predictable signs we have found is a hot to the touch udder.

#10 Frankie

Frankie

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Tennis, and my 4 Grandsons and 1 Granddaughter!

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:15 PM

Well, they foal when you quit watching!!!!!!! new_shocked.gif

None of my mares have ever read the book, and all have been different. Last year had one who delivered almost a month early and honestly, had zero signs! Baby was fine.
Your gut is a great indicator. yes.gif
CAROLYN

Email me

BUCKEYE'S WCF QUEEN OF HEARTS
CMHR Miss Tennessee "Misty"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users