WHY is my "frost free" outside barn water spigot

22 replies to this topic

#1 Sanny

Sanny

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:01 PM

It is the standard barn spigot with the heavy duty red on/off handle that everyone has.
Just went out to fill the water tank and it seems to be frozen solid. The one inside the barn works fine and I ran a hose out to fill the water tank but I have to deal with it asap. Last year we had the whole thing replaced in December and didn't have any trouble with it freezing at all and January and February were our coldest months. If I have to, I can call the well company to come out and thaw it out however they do it, but if anyone has a way I can do it myself tomorrow and save the money I will.
I'm SO frustrated it isn't even that cold (for Minnesota anyway) it is about 6 degrees out - no wind chill or anything. I maybe could see if it was 40 below but it isn't.
Mary Sansevere
ENCHANTED HOLLOW
www.enchantedhollow.net
Home to AMHR and Shetland Congress National Champions:
Enchanted Hollow King Zebulon (2010 AMHR Division B Performance Horse of the Year and 2010 Super Gelding in AMHR B Performance Division) ... Classique's Phantom Gold (AMHR-record 9 Hall of Fames) ... Whispering Hill Farm Magician ... Quail Creek's Rumorhasit ... D&S Double Dutch Chocolate ... D&S Excuse My French ... Mini Bucks Little Sabrina ... Mini Bucks Pure Nitro ... Festervans Bodaous ... Bandito's Beauty Queen EH
(Since 2005, Enchanted Hollow has won 62 National Championships and 66 Reserve National Titles.)

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Getitia

Getitia

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:10 PM

Did someone have a hose hooked to it? If so it will freeze up as the hose prevents the spigot from draining.

Also, at the bottom of the spigot, it should have a drain. Normally when the spigot is installed, gravel is put around the drain to allow the water to drain away quickly, if for some reason that drain is clogged or if the handle was not put all the way down, it will freeze.

If it is frozen up top, we have used a blow dryer to dethaw the upper section before - this is safer, but slower, than the blow torch which can damage the spigot if not used carefully. If you have a clog at the bottom that is not allowing your spigot to drain, about the only thing you can do, is dig it up to correct the drain problem. Can you tell that we have dealt with many frozen pipes in the past? biggrin.gif

Good luck - it is so frustrating to have your water spigot freeze on a cold night.

BUCKEYE WALNUT CREEK FARM
Circleville, Ohio

Breeders and exhibitors of National/Congress winning halter, futurity, and performance Classic Shetlands and Miniature Horses; aspc/amhr, amha/amhr, PtHA.

Proud breeders of multiple AMHR National/Congress
GRAND and/or Reserve GRAND Champions in halter and/or driving including -
Buckeye WCF 1 Hot Unbelievable, Buckeye WCF Summer Dance
Buckeye WCF Classical Elegance, Buckeye WCF Classical Obsession
Buckeye WCF Classical Muzak, Buckeye WCF Classical Love Note
Buckeye WCF Cicada Song, Buckeye WCF Amazing Grace
Buckeye WCF Classical Diplomat, Buckeye WCF Be Steel My Heart
Buckeye WCF Miss Ohio, Buckeye WCF I'm On Fire (including 2009 Halter Horse of the Year) and many others

Buckeye Walnut Creek Farm

=

#3 Farmhand

Farmhand

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

It's a little late now, but I put a couple bales of straw around each hydrant in the winter. Helps keep the ground from freezing. Once they're froze it takes a while to thaw out. Have you had a lot of rain lately?

Edited by Farmhand, 02 December 2005 - 08:17 PM.

Filipowicz Farm

Home of Filipowicz That's All Foulks (HOF) ASPC/AMHR
FFF Sun's True DreamCatcher (HOF)
Former Home of Filipowicz Peanut (HOF)
Quality Show Horses
AMHA/AMHR/ASPC

#4 slv

slv

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(Farmhand @ Dec 2 2005, 08:16 PM)
It's a little late now, but I put a couple bales of straw around each hydrant in the winter. Helps keep the ground from freezing. Once they're froze it takes a while to thaw out. Have you had a lot of rain lately?

View Post

Mine froze once because it wasn't draining properly. You can buy a heat tape at the local hardware store that is made just for spickets. Also I agree - do not leave your hose hooked up.

#5 Margo_C-T

Margo_C-T

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:31 PM

Sanny-
Did you by any chance leave a hose connected to the faucet? I found out the hard way, years ago, that the 'standpipe' cannot drain if you leave a hose attached-and that, of course, is what makes it 'freezeproof'-the fact that there's no water in the standpipe-and that it is buried far enough underground! Or-was the faucet firmly turned OFF? Sometimes the water flow will cease, but on close inspection, you will find that the handle isn't firmly seated in the full "off" position-this would allow water to remain in the standpipe, also. How deep is your bury?
I have 8 of the things here! They are all a 3 ft. bury(if your temps get to -40(!), I imagine yours are even deeper - a 4 or even 5' bury!! However, if they weren't buried deep enough for your coldest anticipated temps, this could also account for a freeze-up...though freeze-ups for that reason usually only occur after a prolonged period of really cold temps, as the freezing occurs deeper and deeper into the soil-and it seems a bit early in the winter season for that...? ( I have had to dig up(my own self, to save money)two and have them repaired in the past couple of years-but then, they were around 20 years old!) The only other thing I can think of is that something has gone wrong in the inner mechanism of the faucet, so that it isn't draining when shut off, that would cause it to freeze up.
Hope you figure it out, and the 'fix' is simple...there is NOTHING worse than having problems getting water during winter weather! Best wishes!
Margo

Jess Miniatures-home of "homebred, homemade" Champions!
Near-lifetime resident of New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment--and wouldn't live anywhere else!

#6 zacharyfarms

zacharyfarms

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:55 PM

YUP, a hose left on will do it everytime.. I know we just replaced the spigot on ours. no.gif
JUDY
Specializing in Appaloosas & Pintos (Overos, Tobianos, Pintaloosas & Toveros) 30" and under
Zachary Farms
Select American Miniature Horses
"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." FDR
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." Eleanor Roosevelt

#7 Sanny

Sanny

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:21 PM

Fortunately I didn't leave the hose on it, but I suspect I might have been in a hurry and didn't shut it off tightly enough and I think it is frozen up top. I couldn't lift the handle at all and I had a thin ICICLE (big clue) hanging out of the spigot. GRRR.

I wasn't dressed warmly enough and it is pitch black out so all I did for the night is cover the top and wrap a heat tape around the pipe and plug it in. I figured at least that way it won't get worse overnight. Tomorrow I will take the blow dryer out and work on the top. I wish I had a blow torch, but then again, in my hands it might be a hazard and make things worse. no.gif
Mary Sansevere
ENCHANTED HOLLOW
www.enchantedhollow.net
Home to AMHR and Shetland Congress National Champions:
Enchanted Hollow King Zebulon (2010 AMHR Division B Performance Horse of the Year and 2010 Super Gelding in AMHR B Performance Division) ... Classique's Phantom Gold (AMHR-record 9 Hall of Fames) ... Whispering Hill Farm Magician ... Quail Creek's Rumorhasit ... D&S Double Dutch Chocolate ... D&S Excuse My French ... Mini Bucks Little Sabrina ... Mini Bucks Pure Nitro ... Festervans Bodaous ... Bandito's Beauty Queen EH
(Since 2005, Enchanted Hollow has won 62 National Championships and 66 Reserve National Titles.)

#8 Jean_B

Jean_B

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:27 PM

Hey, you could always move to Arkansas biggrin.gif ! You have no idea how much lower my electric bills are since moving here!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

But the hair dryer is a good start, but a blow torch might be better. And then bales around the area plus keeping the heat tape on there full time. And maybe build an insulated box/cover with a hinge on it to open it up when you need to use it?? That's what I did at my old place. Heck....I had a heat tape, plus a 100 watt light bulb inside the insulated box that I then covered with 3 HEAVY blankets!!
Dusty Lane Miniatures
http://www.miniature...e.com/dustylane
Home of Wa-Ful Unique Rhythm and Lust's Par Excellence
and forever resting place of Hilltop's Little Vegas

#9 shminifancier

shminifancier

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • Interests:Retired now so not much but watching TV, computer, and one mini horse.

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:32 PM

I bet I know what happened~! You were in a hurry, you already said that.. You Pushed the Handle down and the water shut off, BUT I just bet you did not Push the handle FAR enough off to let the water drain back~! I can just see the handle about 1 to 2 inches from the end~! Yes the water was shut off BUT the handle has to go further to Open the Valve at the bottom of the pipe to let the water drain back below ground level which maybe 36 inches at least that far below the frost level~! I bet cha.. I hope you can get it thawed out because IF THAT did happen the frozen water is all the way to ground level and maybe some what lower.. Good luck....

Edited by shminifancier, 02 December 2005 - 09:50 PM.

#10 Farmhand

Farmhand

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(shminifancier @ Dec 2 2005, 10:32 PM)
I bet I know what happened~!  You were in a hurry, you already said that..  You Pushed the Handel down and the water shut off, BUT I just bet you did not Push the handle FAR enough off to let the water drain back~!  I can just see the handle about 1 to 2 inches from the end~!  Yes the water was shut off BUT the handle has to go further to Open the Valve at the bottom of the pip[e to let the water drain back before ground~!  I bet bet cha..  I hope you can get it thawed out because IF THAT did happen the frozen water is all the way to ground level and maybe some what lower..  Good luck....

View Post

yes.gif
Just make sure if you moved the handle, that the screw that we talked about is in the correct spot and not moved. no.gif

Edited by Farmhand, 02 December 2005 - 09:43 PM.

Filipowicz Farm

Home of Filipowicz That's All Foulks (HOF) ASPC/AMHR
FFF Sun's True DreamCatcher (HOF)
Former Home of Filipowicz Peanut (HOF)
Quality Show Horses
AMHA/AMHR/ASPC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users