27 replies to this topic

#1 YHFF Miniature Horses

YHFF Miniature Horses

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:My miniature horses, cross country, and track

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:53 PM

A few horses in my herd are Sweetwater horses or else they're parents are. Can anyone tell me where this farm is? I can't seem to find a website either. All I've figured out is that it's owned by a guy named Charles Penland and is the worlds biggest mini farm?? I'd like to find out more about their parentage .
Thanks,
Courtney

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Tony

Tony

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:58 PM

Yes, Charles Penland owned Sweetwater miniature horses. He is not active in the operation currently and I am not sure if his sons are still operating it or not. To my knowledge they do not have a website.

Tony, Carol, and Lauren Greaves
Little America Miniature Horses
Buda (Austin), Texas

Take a tour of our 200 acres and 165 horses Little America Miniature Horses. Historical Stallions, National Grands.

Email: LtlAmerica@aol.com

#3 lyn_j

lyn_j

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,841 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:11 PM

He is in jail and his wife MAry is disbursing what is left of the herd. She sends them to sales in lots of 30-40 at least that is what I heard from someone who knows the man that goes and gets them.
Lyn

]disclaimer, I am not now nor have I ever been a vet, professional trainer, and am no longer a REGISTERED nurse. Any and all opinions I state are based only on 25 years of horse experience as a breeder.They are only opinions and or suggestions.[/font]

for the love of the little ones!

home of:
Michigans Sweet Tart 2003 2004 2005 2006 AMHR National top ten

Michigans Shirley T Area 1 Jr Champion Foundation and Res Grand. 2005

Michigans Man of Steel Hall of Fame halter 2004 National Top Ten Halter and futurity now living at Michigan Pony Farm

New Hope's Carbon Copy 3rd at Nationals 2004, top 10 halter and top 5 roadster 2005 in furutity
www.landkminiatures.com

#4 bevann

bevann

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • Interests:Welsh Corgi dogs, Miniature Horses, family tree research, Delaware and US history, reading

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:11 PM

I was recently at a Mini auction in New Holland,PA and there were 20+ mares sold from Sweetwater and man who brought them said he could get papers, but didn't have them at the time. There was no info on the mares&they looked at the teeth to determine age.So sad.They were really nice looking mares and Penland had some very good bloodlines at 1 time.They were selling in the $300-$ 400 range and the Amish were snatching them up.Look for lots of unregistered nice looking foals at the sale in 2006.It sure hurts the market.Maybe some of the buyers will harship those mares, but those good lines are lost forever.
I love my life on the farm

#5 k9mini2

k9mini2

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Minis almost anything about them. Driving, breeding, maybe showing one day. Horses in general, been addicted since childhood.

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:06 PM

that is real sad. I know he bought some wonderful bloodlines that cost big $'s. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like we will ever see some of those horses again as the horse it really is/was. It seemed like his program was going bad 4 or 5 years ago when he was having those production sales. To bad our industry has lost some of these horses.

#6 Hosscrazy

Hosscrazy

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:41 AM

I thought he had passed away... unsure.gif

Edit: Nope, I sure was mistaken!

Edited by Hosscrazy, 26 September 2005 - 03:15 PM.

Liz N.
Forum Moderator
Located in Southern California - home to:
Quarter horses, miniature horses, and a few dogs.

#7 beaminewbie

beaminewbie

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:11 PM

Does anyone know how to get ahold of anyone at the farm? I would be interested in possibly trying to purchase some mares!!

#8 runamuk

runamuk

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,354 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(lyn_j @ Sep 25 2005, 08:11 PM)
He is in jail and his wife MAry is disbursing what is left of the herd. She sends them to sales in lots of 30-40 at least that is what I heard from someone who knows the man that goes and gets them.
Lyn

View Post

decided to check into this and wooo doggy

local paper

naughty naughty
http://www.pet-law.com/
http://www.naiaonline.org

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

#9 Dontworrybeappy

Dontworrybeappy

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, Mini Silver Dapple Appaloosas, Spinning wool, model horses, science fiction, reading, needlefelting, facebook, Leafy Sea Dragons....

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:18 PM

boy, I'm sure glad our Sweetwater's EKS Queen is safe with us, along with her filly Sassy! (We bought Queen from a nice place, though!)

user posted image

For a short, fat, unclipped broodmare, the girl can MOVE! biggrin.gif

(and her head is beautiful, not as big as it looks in this photo!)

Edited by Dontworrybeappy, 26 September 2005 - 04:21 PM.

- Karen Malcor-Chapman
KpM Honeypony Miniature Horses
Norco, California

Home of Woodstock North's WHO'S APPY NOW(HOF)
Multiple National Top Ten Stallion and Res. Nat. Ch!

#10 Sue_C.

Sue_C.

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts
  • Interests:DRIVING my minis, and going for nice long walks with my best buddy, Baillie...my min pin...dog of my life.

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:27 PM

How very sad...especially for his family...cannot imagine having a husband or Father like that. no.gif no.gif sad.gif

My favorite mare, is a Sweetwater horse. She is a 12 year old daughter of NFC Egyptian Kings Mistique, a son of "The" Egyptian King; so I have always assumed their horses to be of good stock. She also carries a large amout of Dell Tera blood as well.
"God forbid I should go to any Heaven in which there are no Horses"

Crocker's Critters Miniature Horses

Nova Scotia, Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users