Photo

Bending Cattle Panels?

16 replies to this topic

#1 whitney

whitney

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts
  • Interests:PALOMINOS, Q.H. and MINIS, YORKIES,Gardening,Crafting,Photography,Practical inventing,Working/Playing HARD

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:06 PM

Can you bend these? If so HOW?

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,016 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:10 PM

Are you talking about PIPE PANELS???? If so, I wouldn't think you could without breaking the metal.

MA
Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#3 whitney

whitney

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts
  • Interests:PALOMINOS, Q.H. and MINIS, YORKIES,Gardening,Crafting,Photography,Practical inventing,Working/Playing HARD

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:25 PM

These panels are used for making pens. There made out of heavy gauge wire.

I'm trying to make hay feeders out of them, but I want to bend them instead of cutting them so I don't have any sharp edges.

#4 minimule

minimule

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:29 PM

They could probably be bent but you would need something VERY heavy to place on the one side and then either a sledge hammer or something else very heavy to bend the other.
Sounds like a lot of work though. unsure.gif You could always cut them and then grind down the sharp point until smooth.

One of my friends is using the metal milk crates for their hay feeders. Looks like it works really well.

Edited by minimule, 20 September 2005 - 12:29 PM.

minimule
Sagebrush Miniatures
Home to Short Assets Kilroy, producer of top quality miniature show mules!

Living the Dream!

#5 justaboutgeese

justaboutgeese

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:Driving

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:33 PM

It can be done. There are many ways to go about it. I have no idea of what you have avalable for tools or equipment. I have used a break to bend them to fit several times. Are you bending with or without a warp (vertical) wire. If not you can heat and bend each wire separatly , its slow but requires the minimum of effort. You can also bend them by just clamping and using a lever. If all else fails most welding shops will do your bending on their brake for just a minimal fee. I sometimes think that the fee is more than worth it.

#6 yankee_minis

yankee_minis

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:minis, computers, being the Mom of 3 adults

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:59 PM

Bend or curve? Well, I guess you wouldn't need advice on HOW to curve them!

But my husband did bend one panel. Not sure why...I guess he thought it would attach better to the wooden fence. Looked like a lot of work. He used a cement block as a base and a hammer.

It was 6-12 inches toward the end of the panel, so if you wanted to do this in the middle...I would think it would be much more difficult.

Use a hack saw to cut it in half and put a post in there. yes.gif
Bit-O-Blue Miniature Horses in Central Maine
Become a Fan on Facebook: Bit-O-Blue Minis

Home of
Little Kings BT Yessirre (BTU son)

Buckeroo Granddaughters:
Buck Ons Sugarbay (sire-Buck On Broadway)
Erica's Big City Attention Please (sire-Big City)
Little Kings Russian Rita (sire-White Russian)
Shadys Cinnamon Bucks (sire-Buckeroo Bandolero)

#7 REO

REO

Admin / Administrative Entertainment Coordinator

• Forum Moderator
  • 15,709 posts
  • Interests:Breeding Black Splash horses with Superior conformation!

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:33 PM

We bend those heavy cattle/stock panels. yes.gif

I'm a heavy gal and I stand on them while hubby lifts up one end. A little at a time it is bent. Then we both push on it and finish the bend.
No tools needed, just my fluffy self! blush.gif

You can lay it across a log/post where you want the bend and push on it to get it started. I can go take a pic of one of ours that we bent if you'd like.

I'm just saying we have done it with no special tools.

ROKO MINIATURE HORSES

RHA LOTTO LOCOMOTION~ Black Splash stallion

ROKO LOTTO SPLASH OF PERFECTION~ 29.75" Black Splash stallion

Forum Moderator and Official L'il Beginnings Entertainment Coodinator

#8 Jill

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl

• 35,190 posts
  • Interests:horses, public speaking, investing & money management (my career), loving our dogs, cooking, fishkeeping, reading (2-4 books a month), news junkie & US politics

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:35 PM

I'm thinking she might mean not pipe pannels but those wire mesh panels where you can get the cattle ones that are like 48" or so tall and 16' long, or the hog ones that are shorter.

If that's what she's talking about, they are not hard to bend but takes two people, like if you're making a round pen or something.

Whinny For Me Farm
Jill O'Roark & Harvey Hamilton, Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit our website at www.whinny4me.com to see our prestigiously bred champions and treasured companions including our beloved NATIONAL winning stallions:

Erica's Echos of My Destiny HOF, 33" Smokey Silver Black: Nat'l Champion / Res. Nat'l GRAND Champion / HOF
Erica's Gone and DunIT, 31" Smokey Grey Grullo: Nat'l Top Ten / AMHA Honor Roll / Multi Grand Champion --and--
Erica's Can't Take My Eyes Off You, 29" Black: 3x Nat'l Champion / Supreme Champion / Nat'l All Star Champion

#9 Jill

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl

• 35,190 posts
  • Interests:horses, public speaking, investing & money management (my career), loving our dogs, cooking, fishkeeping, reading (2-4 books a month), news junkie & US politics

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:38 PM

Okay, I read the thread better now I'm more up to speed.

I've seen some people make hay feeders out of thin PVC pipe. I'm not totally for sure howt hey do it, but I"m thinking that the thin (but strong) PVC pipe goes over nails or screws.

That might be an easier way to do it (? but I probably would spend a year trying to figure it out!!! Not crafty at all unfortunately for me.)

Whinny For Me Farm
Jill O'Roark & Harvey Hamilton, Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit our website at www.whinny4me.com to see our prestigiously bred champions and treasured companions including our beloved NATIONAL winning stallions:

Erica's Echos of My Destiny HOF, 33" Smokey Silver Black: Nat'l Champion / Res. Nat'l GRAND Champion / HOF
Erica's Gone and DunIT, 31" Smokey Grey Grullo: Nat'l Top Ten / AMHA Honor Roll / Multi Grand Champion --and--
Erica's Can't Take My Eyes Off You, 29" Black: 3x Nat'l Champion / Supreme Champion / Nat'l All Star Champion

#10 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• 17,016 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE(REO @ Sep 20 2005, 03:33 PM)
No tools needed, just my fluffy self!  blush.gif 

I'm just saying we have done it with no special tools.

View Post

laugh.gif Too Funny! No special tools??? I'd say YOU were pretty darn special! biggrin.gif

MA
Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users