Photo

Safe Barn heater?????

20 replies to this topic

#1 misty'smom

misty'smom

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Interests:Retired Kindergarten teacher from a private school in Va. I Love Dachshunds!! I now have a Lab puppy!! Like to read. I have 2 granddaughters, 2 yrs and 9 months and 1 grandson 3 months.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

I am  in the process of getting electric in my barn. The electrician was here and did all the wiring and put in lights, plugs, ceiling fan and outdoor lighting. He mentioned I might want a heat source which he is looking into for a safe option for a barn. Our first winter last year was a very cold one here in Va. My 2 minis were under a year old but did really well and had nice furry coats!! I would like a heater just to keep it above freezing so it is not so bitter cold.

Do any of you have heat in your barns? What would be a good safe heat?? I do store my hay on one side of my barn so no heater maybe safe enough?????? Please give me any advice or experiences you may have with heating your barns!

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,476 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Quilting

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

Barns really don't need heat, healthy adult horses do just fine with out added heat in their barns.   I'd say the only exception for heat in barns would be those with early foals and debilitated horses.      Heat in barns is usually for the comfort of the people in the barns, not the horses; most horses are most comfortable in the 40-60 degree range and do quite well below those temps.  

My horses are outside with access to shelter 24/7 year round, including our deep freeze winters with temps well below zero.  They do quite well in the cold temps.

• Minimor likes this

Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Showy, Caddy, Honey, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota and Jasper

Donkey: Tilly

2012 colts: Monty, Manny and Junior

#3 MountainWoman

MountainWoman

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:25 AM

No heated barns here and not in my boarding barn either and we can get to 20 below at night.  Our highs are usually around 10 in the winter.  When the barn doors and windows are shut, it's nice and cozy in there from the body heat generated by the horses.  I do have a heated tack room though but that's for me.  The horses do fine even in the bitter cold.  I use blankets as needed but they develop very thick coats.  I think they enjoy the cold more than summer heat and bugs.  And I free feed hay in the bitter cold to help them generate body heat.  

#4 bevann

bevann

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • Interests:Welsh Corgi dogs, Miniature Horses, family tree research, Delaware and US history, reading

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

If you think you must have something I would suggest a Kal-Glo heater or something similar over each stall.The horses can stand under it if needed but most horses don't need heat unless sick or stressed from something,.I have used mine for very early foals.If you do install them just be sure it is placed so horses can get away from it.They are plugged in as needed.

I love my life on the farm

#5 drmatthewtaylor

drmatthewtaylor

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

I would discourage heating a barn. In fact, I recommend a thermometer both in/outside of the barn so both temperatures are known. The difference should not exceed 5' and should be no where near 10'. That means water buckets should freeze on 20' days.

Temperature differences >5' spread respiratory disease.

If the barn needs to be heated for 'your' comfort, then I would recommend using a radiant heater in a tack stall or office room so you could go in to warm up.

Dr. Taylor

• sfmini and Charley like this

#6 Genie

Genie

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • Interests:We are breeders of small miniature horses, under 34 but preferably 30 inches and under. We breed purebred Papillons.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

I agree with Dr.Taylor. 

I hate the frozen pails and the freezing hands up here in the frozen north but  our horses always winter well. 

Jim and Gene Baynham

NIxons Hill Farms

Home of Timber Ridges Dazzle, Kobecks Chief O Hatchee, Piddy Paddocks Glori Halylooyla, Grosshills Chief Crazyhorse,Nixons Hill Hats Off To Larry, Nixons Hill Johnny Be Good

Our goal is to be "TINY" and the perfect example of a full sized horse in miniature.

http://www.freewebs....iniaturehorses/

#7 Riverrose28

Riverrose28

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts
  • Interests:minis of course, bulldogs, sewing, reading, baking, grand kids

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

I have to agree with everyone else, I live in MD just across the river from Quantico, VA., and my weather is comparable to yours. You won't need a heater in your barn, it will only cause problems. Horses need ventalation for their respiratory system and their hooves. The cold wont' bother them at all, besides having all that undercoat and fluff the blood vessels at the skin dialate to help warm the skin, and their long face helps to warm the air they breath. If you must have a warm place for yourself, get a small ceramic heater for your tack room, I have one, but would you believe I've never used it. Be very careful in the winter with anything that heats, people a couple of miles from me had a barn fire from a heat lamp, and another person in the next county had a barn fire from a bucket heater. My fellow trail rider friends just around the corner lost their barn and tractor when he pulled it into the barn because it was getting ready to snow, and a small piece of hay ignited on the hot muffler.

River Rose Farm Miniature Horses
www.riverroseminiatures.com
Home of Lucky Four Sugar Boys sundowner, AMHA Regional Reserve Champion Senior Stallion, AMHR Champion Senior STallion, and Champion or Champions "A" division, and his get River Rose Twinkling Sundown, multi Champion Jr. & Sr. Mare in halter and liberty.
Theresa Cameron "Terry"

#8 amysue

amysue

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Breeding miniature horses of color as well as miniature Mediterranean donkeys and Nigerian dwarf goats. Also raising india blue peafowl, super African geese, bantam cochins and mini rex rabbits. I enjoy training horses to jump and drive as well as riding hunter seat and saddleseat equitation.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

Horses do much better in the cold than the heat. If you worry about cold ponies, blanket them. If you have foals early in the year, you can securely hang a heat lamp (like the ones they hang over baby chicks) to provide safe heat.  Hang it from the ceiling and raise it high enough that the animals cannot touch it or knock it over.  Oil filled electric radiators in a tack room are a safe choice as long as they are regularly dusted and kept clear from flammable materials. I work with many people who keep a tack or wash room heated so ensure running water is always available. As for freezing water buckets, I like insulated buckets better than heated ones, as they are free to operate and pose no risk of fire. Smartpak sells bucket cozies at a reasonable price.

~ AmySue

Ponies, Inc.

Canterbury, CT

www.poniesinc.com

#9 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

I agree with not heating the barn and Dr. Taylor explained it well.

The only place I'd consider heating is for foaling stall(s) which can also be used if and when you have a seriously ill horse. A Kal Glo heater is spendy but awesome for those kind of needs.

We use heat lamps, but there is a safety risk with them.
Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#10 misty'smom

misty'smom

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Interests:Retired Kindergarten teacher from a private school in Va. I Love Dachshunds!! I now have a Lab puppy!! Like to read. I have 2 granddaughters, 2 yrs and 9 months and 1 grandson 3 months.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for all the great advice! I wil not heat my barn, it kind of made me nervous anyway barn fires scare me! If the cold is better for the horses than that is the way I will go! I certainly do not mind the cold, I'd rather it be cold than hot!!

Amysue, I think I will look into those insulated buckets! Maybe our Tractor Supply or Co-Op will have them!!

Thank you again everyone for the advice and experience!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users