#1 Mona

Mona

I just can't help myself :-)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,613 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, Horses, Dogs

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

I see Abby (4 year old Boxer) has recently grown what looks like a "root" out of her leg, just below her elbow. I noticed it about a week or so ago. It doesn't really look like a wart or tumor, so am thinking it may be a skin tag?? Have any of you had skin tags grow on your dogs before, and is this what they look like? It doesn't appear to anything that "alarms" me. I have an appointment with the vet next Thursday for snap tests and Heartworm meds so will ask then (if I remember), but just curious so thought I ask you guys.

Here are photos of it that I just took...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

$$$ The Money Pit Ranch $$$

Home to the following large and small money gobblers:

"Cheyenne"
- Smokey Black Pinto Tennessee Walking Horse Mare

"Angel" - Grulla Minimal Pinto Miniature Horse Mare
"Chamois" - Buckskin Tennessee Walking Horse Mare

"Abby" - Spayed Female Boxer
"Monkey" - Neutered Male Chinese Crested/Chihuahua Mix

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Matt73

Matt73

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hmmm....doesn't really look like a skin tag to me (looks too blood-filled), but who knows. Are you sure it's a part of her and not some parasite....? :s

#3 Lizzie

Lizzie

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Horses. Dogs. Antiques. History. Writer of Historical Fiction and poetry.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hmm. Odd. I have had skin tags on some very elderly dogs in the past, and just snipped them off. However, they did not look like this one. Your vet will have more ideas.

Lizzie

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

http://harlequinfarmsgypsyhorses.com/
Home of Gypsy Horses

and

Miniature Horses
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

#4 bevann

bevann

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • Interests:Welsh Corgi dogs, Miniature Horses, family tree research, Delaware and US history, reading

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

I've never seen anything like that.My guess is "parasite"not skin tag.Looks like it is filled with blood.Anxoiusly awaiting your vet's reply and to hear how it is treated/removed.
I love my life on the farm

#5 Mona

Mona

• Admin
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

This is definitely not a parasite. It may not be a skin tag either, I don;t know, that is why I asked. What it looks like is a "root" of some sort growing outwards. It is pointy at the end. I can pull on it and it doesn;t seem to cause her pain, but is VERY attached. It is not blood filled, as in full of liquid...more like a wart or something but the wrong shape.

"Cheyenne"

#6 shorthorsemom

shorthorsemom

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

I would get it checked just for good measure. Boxers can on occasion have some skin cancer issues. Not that I think this looks suspicious at all, I have no clue what it is, just suggesting considering your breed of dog, to have your vet take a quick look. Best wishes and keep us posted..

#7 Matt73

Matt73

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

Is it wrong that I want to squeeze it....lol

#8 Mona

Mona

• Admin
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

Yes, she has an appointment on Thursday so will have the vet look at it then whoile she's there. Matt, if you could see and feel it in person, you would lose that temptation, as when you see it in person, it is obviously clear that it is not "filled" with anything. I can squeeze/pinch and pull etc. and it is just a fluidless growth...like I said, it just seems like a "root" that should be growing INTO something. It really is wierd. When I see it, it just makes me want to snip it right off and put some QuikStop on it if it bleeds, and be done with it.

"Cheyenne"

#9 shorthorsemom

shorthorsemom

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

you know... i just took a look at it and noticed it is on your dogs elbow. My doberman Max used to get things like that on occasion on his elbow. They were like some weird ingrown hair thingy from dropping down on the elbows when they lay on a hard floor. When I was a youngster and we didn't run to the vet for everything, I remember tying a thread around the base of one of those and putting on some antibiotic ointment and it was gone in no time. Nowadays, I just ask the vet. I am such a wus. LOL. I remember getting my dog a big bed to lay in and he didn't get so many any more. He ended up being a thyroid dog too and all the skin taggy weird thingys went away when he started taking thyroid meds. Anyway... hope it is nothing:-) , can't wait to hear what your vet says or maybe drmatthewtaylor will write in for you .....take care. Adair

#10 Boss Mare

Boss Mare

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Not sure what it is, so no help there. However being a dog groomer for seven years I have seen many skins growths - tumors, tags, warts, etc.. I have seen the type of growth thing that's on your dog quite a few times actually. Am curious what it technically is though! Good job for being an observant pet mom.
-Michelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users