Photo

Internal scanning of pregnant mares

94 replies to this topic

#1 WJS

WJS

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Horses, wood carving & gardening, amongst a wealth of others.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I would be very interested to know if you scan your mares internally for pregnancy, what percentages would you scan? are there ever complications such as bowel rupture? dose your vet carry out the procedure?.are the mares given a bowel relaxant?
I am told "No serious Horse stud would carry out scans on miniatures" I do not believe this to be true... your thoughts would be appreciated.

how many mares have you had scanned and how many problems were caused by the scan?

many thanks
Don't look for flaws as you go through life, and even when you find them, it is wise and kind to be some what blind and look for the virtues behind them.

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Riverrose28

Riverrose28

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts
  • Interests:minis of course, bulldogs, sewing, reading, baking, grand kids

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

I have had one mare scanned, because the buyer wanted her confirmed that way. The vet sedated the mare and used a probe made for llamas, but still lacerated the rectum. I do not usually scan, but sometimes it is required to take mares to sale.

River Rose Farm Miniature Horses
www.riverroseminiatures.com
Home of Lucky Four Sugar Boys sundowner, AMHA Regional Reserve Champion Senior Stallion, AMHR Champion Senior STallion, and Champion or Champions "A" division, and his get River Rose Twinkling Sundown, multi Champion Jr. & Sr. Mare in halter and liberty.
Theresa Cameron "Terry"

#3 happy appy

happy appy

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

My vet wont do it at all.

Happy Appy Acres

Tina E.

www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=happyappy

#4 drmatthewtaylor

drmatthewtaylor

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

I ultrasound many mares of many varied sizes on both quite large and small farms. I have never torn a rectum or colon, but that's not to say because I'm better than other Vets, simply reporting my facts. Tearing a colon is an 'inherent risk' of the procedure and is more a factor of what the mare does rather than the Vet.

I appreciate the procedure has a cost, but so too does keeping a mare that isn't in foal. I think the cost of mare care far out ways the cost of ultrasounds.

Dr Taylor

#5 tagalong

tagalong

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

No serious Horse stud would carry out scans on miniatures" I do not believe this to be true... your thoughts would be appreciated.

What did they mean by "serious horse stud"? We are serious here, with many national champions to show for it.

All our mini and pony mares have been ultrasounded for many years. We have never had any tears or other issues. The mares are sedated first and the vet does the U/S. I also like being able to see how old the fetus is - and if there is no pregnancy - what the ovaries are doing follicle-wise. It is good breeding management and eliminates a lot of guesswork.
Foaling rule #1... the most predictable thing about a mare is her unpredictability!!

#6 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,604 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Quilting

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

While not as accurate, the vet did external ultrasounds on my mares last year, all were open (this would have been late season scans for last year's foals, which there weren't any, and we were dealing with other issues which have since been resolved).

Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Showy, Caddy, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota and Jasper

Donkey: Tilly

2012 colts: Monty, and Manny 

#7 Genie

Genie

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • Interests:We are breeders of small miniature horses, under 34 but preferably 30 inches and under. We breed purebred Papillons.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

I know of at least one tragedy with the internal ultra sound. The mare died due to bleeding.
Jim and Gene Baynham

NIxons Hill Farms

Home of Timber Ridges Dazzle, Kobecks Chief O Hatchee, Piddy Paddocks Glori Halylooyla, Grosshills Chief Crazyhorse,Nixons Hill Hats Off To Larry, Nixons Hill Johnny Be Good

Our goal is to be "TINY" and the perfect example of a full sized horse in miniature.

http://www.freewebs....iniaturehorses/

#8 Blue rose

Blue rose

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

I have had my mares ultrasound for most of their pregnancies, just like to make sure that everything looks good etc. Had one vets office in the area tell me there was no way they could U/S, so called the practice that does more reproduction work and they said no problem. They only concern they had were if the mares were very small. , Everything went fine and we did not sedate the mares, they stood just fine.

#9 raine

raine

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

My Vet US my mares with no problem and one is only 28" No need to sedate them unless they are very nervous.My small girl doesnt have a problem standing nice and still..
Dimundo Miniatures www.miniature-horses-spain.com

#10 ThreeCFarm

ThreeCFarm

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

When we were breeding, we always had our mares internally ultrasounded with no problems. My vet has a mini probe (is that the correct word?) and does a lot of reproductive work. Our mares were never sedated, but all of mine were very easy to handle.
Stephanie www.ThreeCFarm.com

Home of:
OMP Pizazzs Yessiree Bob
2008 AMHA World Top Ten (6th) AOTE Country Pleasure Driving
2011 AMHA World Top Ten (6th) Youth Classic Pleasure Driving 12 & Under
Top Ten in driving the only two times Bob went to World!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users