Anyone have experience with COPD?

19 replies to this topic

#1 JMS Miniatures

JMS Miniatures

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

I had to take one to the vet with respiratory issues and he thinks he may have COPD. He is on a respiratory drug to see if it helps. He starts having problems when he starts exercising but when he is relaxed he's fine.

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 happy appy

happy appy

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

I am quite experienced in it. I haven't had minis with it only big horses. Owned one for 10 years. You can email me directly or post on here any questions that you might have. blink33@gmail.com

Happy Appy Acres

Tina E.

www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=happyappy

#3 wwminis

wwminis

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

We have a 22 year old mare with COPD and she usally has a flare up about once a year! We treat her with Dexamethasone liquid! She get 2cc twice a day for 5 days and then 1cc once a day for 5 days! We draw it up in a syringe and squirt in her mouth. Very easy to give orally rather than a shot. We have also used Ventipulmin (sp) in the past!
Bill
W W Miniature Horse Farm
Home of Champion Poco de Oro Idols Golden Hawk son of Billy Idol
Email wwminis@embarqmail.com
http://wwminihorses.tripod.com Jonesborough, TN. 37659

#4 JMS Miniatures

JMS Miniatures

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

The vet thinks this is a one time a year thing too, hopefully he will be cleared up for show season. The vet gave us Tri-Hist Granules to try first and see if it helps. He also had Ventipulmin but it was close to $200 so hopefully the Tri-Hist will help. I'll save this just incase to show my vet.

#5 happy appy

happy appy

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

The biggest thing that I found was to manage their enviroment. Wet hay, limit dust, feed nothing unless there is moisture with it. With the dex powder or liquid you really have to watch for founder.

Happy Appy Acres

Tina E.

#6 griggsmel

griggsmel

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

We have a 22 year old mare with COPD and she usally has a flare up about once a year! We treat her with Dexamethasone liquid! She get 2cc twice a day for 5 days and then 1cc once a day for 5 days! We draw it up in a syringe and squirt in her mouth. Very easy to give orally rather than a shot. We have also used Ventipulmin (sp) in the past!
Bill

I also have a lot of experience with copd or heaves, both big and small horses. The dex helps a lot but like another person mentioned, you have to watch for founder. As long as you ween off and don't overdose it's usually fine. I would put mine on feed, but squirting in the mouth assures it gets in. The venti syrup is really expensive and i have never had any luck with that. There's also pills you can use but I would have to go to the barn for the name. Whatever you do, just make sure if you see symptoms you treat quickly. I had one horse get pneumonia due to my employees not paying attention. We treat by enviroment first (i.e. dust, cooling off with fans, clipping heavy coats, etc) then go to dex and that usually gets it gone. Does you vet think it's due to spring weather or dust? There are two different treatment protocols for either. Hope that helps!
Melissa

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not on thine own understanding, in all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path. Prov. 3:5,6

www.SouthernStarRanch.com

#7 Marty

Marty

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,258 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Me too and also we had one in CMHR. As long as the horse is on their meds and not running around they can do well.Damp the feed and hay,, use little to no shavings and you can damp them down too. Some do very well outside but when in you may need a fan depending on your set up. Don't let any of his pasture mates get him running. You may have to separate him. If it were my horse I would retire him right now. Exercise is the last thing I would do with him and yes I agree to be careful with dex as it can cause a founder issue..

CMHR ~President~

www.Martysbarnyard.com

I'm no Angel but my child in heaven is. With his hand on my shoulder I can weather any storm.

Michael, My Archangel, My Teen Angel in Heaven
His life was brilliant, His love was pure, He saw an Angel, of that I'm sure...
September 1, 1987- June 10, 2006 Hopelessly devoted to you, then, now and forever
See you in my dreams my love

Welcome to my life grandaughter Lexis Clair Garrison I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

#8 happy appy

happy appy

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

Actually the more fit that he is the better he will do. It's like a person with asthma, they need to increase the lung's ability and it makes the condition better. You just have to do it a little at a time. The horse that I had was rescued with severe COPD. While I owned him, he improved with what he could tolerate. Got to the point where I didn't need to medicate him any more except in extreme conditions. W had him out 24/7 with a run in shelter, wet his hay (or steamed it). He was rode almost every day for a short time. He loved the exercise and it showed. He could gallop through the fields with the rest of the herd without an issues. He finally passed away 15 years later from old age.

Happy Appy Acres

Tina E.

#9 JMS Miniatures

JMS Miniatures

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

He thinks its allergy related. He's out 24/7 and you can only do so much with the dust around here but trying to get the placed fixed up since the tornado destoryed it. We are still using temp. pens right now.

I wouldn't say he is real bad but if he can't do it then he just can't do it. He's already a proven show horse and had a few years off but wanted to bring him back out this year. I'll use the paper shavings for him if I do end up showing him. I've wetted his hay but he's not too thrilled by it. Would you absoutely soak it or just wet it down? He's not getting fed any grain but if he did it would also be soaked. Last year I had to deal with choking issues with him and he did get scoped and the vet couldn't find anything wrong, so now he is on a all hay diet and was perfectly fine with that and he had a lil bit of grain thru the winter and I gave that to him in a mash.

The vet didn't mention about restricting exercise and of course I know not to over do it. But like happy appy said for example I have asthma and I know my allergies are killing me right now but if I wasn't exercising I would be feeling real bad and get worn out just walking, but now training horses sure at first it was hard to get back into the routine but now I feel a lot better. The other horses were feeling the same way just being real lazy but they were just starting back into training but they are back to almost their normal selves but he isn't. He's loosing the necessary weight but not the stamina because of this issue. He is having a couple of days of rest and see if he is improving or not, because you can't notice anything wrong until he's actually working.

#10 happy appy

happy appy

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

There is a product called Lung Flush by Omega and it works really well. I use to give it during the bad times. It made a noticable difference. You have to squirt it right into their mouth but they like it.

Happy Appy Acres

Tina E.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users