Photo

Endless diarrhea..

21 replies to this topic

#1 Jean A

Jean A

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Family, small farm, disability advocacy..and horses.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

So..the old gentleman said that the one mare had 'scours'..and he had wormed her. The vet, when testing blood, also wormed the herd. With what, I don't know. She had dried up..but the stress of an hours trailer ride, and a new home, seemed to begin it all over again.

She has loose stools, though not what I would call watery. Formed as she goes, but a puddle when it hits the grass. It looks between cow and horse manure.Her rear and tail are a disaster. Glad it's warm, because someone is getting a bath tomorrow!

I really doubt that worming again would help..or be appropriate (twice in a month already?) I can't find biosponge anywhere, and one place suggested I try a probiotic. She is not showing any signs of distress..acts completely normal. They are all eating the same (the mares' hay is different now), but the previous owner fed them all from the same round bales.

Any ideas?

Ever grateful..

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 MBhorses

MBhorses

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,327 posts
  • Interests:We love animals.We have minis, dogs and cats.Our animals are like our children we love each and everyone.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

http://www.valleyvet...CFW-CtgodORY-gQ
http://www.platinump...uctinfo/EBIOP4/
http://www.horseheal...e/252-1400.html
here is some bio sponge good luck.I hope she feels better soon. Check with your vet :) I know that sometimes change of food and new area will stress horses as well. Did your vet check her stool?I use this bio sponge on a foal it worked great.
Paint By Numbers Ranch

Clay & Melissa Bynum

We love all animals Big or Small.

For God so loved the world, that he gave
his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should
not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

#3 Genie

Genie

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • Interests:We are breeders of small miniature horses, under 34 but preferably 30 inches and under. We breed purebred Papillons.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

We have used kaopectate
Jim and Gene Baynham

NIxons Hill Farms

Home of Timber Ridges Dazzle, Kobecks Chief O Hatchee, Piddy Paddocks Glori Halylooyla, Grosshills Chief Crazyhorse,Nixons Hill Hats Off To Larry, Nixons Hill Johnny Be Good

Our goal is to be "TINY" and the perfect example of a full sized horse in miniature.

http://www.freewebs....iniaturehorses/

#4 Riverrose28

Riverrose28

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,541 posts
  • Interests:minis of course, bulldogs, sewing, reading, baking, grand kids

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Maybe you could try some sand clear, it is sold at tractor supply, it'a a five day treatment. I once bought a mare that had chronic lose stools and it helped her. Just a suggestion, as most mini's are kept on dry lots.

River Rose Farm Miniature Horses
www.riverroseminiatures.com
Home of Lucky Four Sugar Boys sundowner, AMHA Regional Reserve Champion Senior Stallion, AMHR Champion Senior STallion, and Champion or Champions "A" division, and his get River Rose Twinkling Sundown, multi Champion Jr. & Sr. Mare in halter and liberty.
Theresa Cameron "Terry"

#5 happy appy

happy appy

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

I'd try real pumpkin, yeast or sand clear. I have had great success with feeding the horses, dogs, cats and kids real pumpkin when they have had the runs. Works great. A few tablespoons a few times a day and you'd be suprised at the outcome. Brewers yeast also works great if they have a nervous stomach. You can buy it from Purina in a tub.

Happy Appy Acres

Tina E.

www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=happyappy

#6 Jean A

Jean A

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thank you, folks! I looked at the sand treatment..wondering if something other than worms is going on. I have never gotten animals from a totally unknown background like this. Will try each suggestion, one at a time until we get it figured out.

Our vet hasn't seen them yet. He will think I have gone nuts..but that's ok, haha. We have an aged Angus heifer and 2 mini-donkey geldings in another pasture. All 3 are curious about what's happening in the lower field, it will take time though, before we let them get close.They want the barn back, so am glad the weather is beautiful.

All 3 horses are wonderful..calm, easy to lead..and put up with nearly everything. I hope that includes a completely inexperienced equine midwife. At this point, I'd rather deliver my own baby by myself in the barn..be less nervous!!! Course..I have 7..lol

#7 LittleBittyBritches

LittleBittyBritches

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • Interests:Miniature Horses, dogs, animals in general I guess

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

Yogurt does wonders for diarrhea too!

#8 Jean A

Jean A

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Yogurt is great stuff..

I am just happy she isn't ill..just messy. She's roan with a white rear too..<sigh>

#9 disneyhorse

disneyhorse

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Some causes are worms and sand in the gut.
Sometimes a couple weeks on Metronidazole antibiotic is needed to get the gut working properly... I've seen it work many times in horses with chronic diarrhea.
Meanwhile, be sure to slather Desitin or a diaper rash cream around her anus and below after bathing ... Looks ugly but helps prevent burning and irritation.
Good luck,
Andrea

#10 Marty

Marty

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,236 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

All the above and Activia is very good.

CMHR ~President~

www.Martysbarnyard.com

I'm no Angel but my child in heaven is. With his hand on my shoulder I can weather any storm.

Michael, My Archangel, My Teen Angel in Heaven
His life was brilliant, His love was pure, He saw an Angel, of that I'm sure...
September 1, 1987- June 10, 2006 Hopelessly devoted to you, then, now and forever
See you in my dreams my love

Welcome to my life grandaughter Lexis Clair Garrison I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users