Timber in the tornado yesterday-Southeast TN

9 replies to this topic

#1 Lil Timber Buck

Lil Timber Buck

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

So we had a super scary day again with tornadoes. It came in so fast! We have a lean-to for the big horses and one for Timber. At the last moment, they all decided to run out of their barns and stand in the hail and rain and wind. I don't understand this unless it was because Timber is a baby and they wanted to be with him to protect them. They are in separate pastures, but they adjoin. All three stood right at the fence with each other. When it was all over and everyone calmed down, Timber thought the hail was fun to play in. It was about dime to golf ball size and 2 inches deep in places.
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Great things come in small packages :-)

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Minimor

Minimor

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,272 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

It's very typical behavior for horses to run out of their shelters to be out in the storm, especially if it is hailing. I think a big part of it is they do not like the sound of the hail on the roof and suspect part of it may be a natural instinct to be out in the open where they cannot be "trapped" inside when there is a scary storm overhead. If there is an area of bush in the paddock horses are more likely to shelter in there than they are to go into a loose housing shed.
CEDAR PLAINS SHETLANDS and MINIATURES

Specializing in Miniature 'over' division driving horses/prospects with conformation, MOVEMENT and refinement!

American Shetlands...just FOR THE FUN OF IT!

#3 vickie gee

vickie gee

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Glad he is safe now. That had to be scary!
Vickie Gee

#4 Lil Timber Buck

Lil Timber Buck

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Yes it was scary. I was so glad it hit after work when I was here with him and my other horses. Bless their hearts.

#5 supaspot

supaspot

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Interests:almost anything with four legs

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

I bet those hailstones sting when they hit you but he looks none the worse ! :-)

www.celticmistminiaturehorses.com
home of RHA Rangers Absolut -
SUPREME GRAND CHAMPION OF IRELAND 2011 & 2012 RESERVE SUPREME 2013
ALL-IRELAND CHAMPION STALLION 2011 , 2012 and 2013 
UK AMHS Honour Roll Champion
2004 AMHA World Top Three and AMHR National top Ten ,
AMHA & AMHR multiple grand champion stallion
European , Regional , National and world champion producer

#6 sundancer

sundancer

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:Miniature horses, jack russells, great danes. american saddlebreds. stain glass projects

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Glad everyone made out ok with the tornado! What a scary experiance!

Julie
Victory Pass Stable
Maine

#7 rubyviewminis

rubyviewminis

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Glad all are safe. I have a funny story, everytime it hailed or rained those awful monsoon rains, our horses also ran out of their 40 X 16 breezeway that was attached to the side of our barn. But our first mustang was a weanling and if he happened to be out and about, he ran INTO the breezeway an the QH ran out. Same thing happene here with our other mustang. We just assumed the mustangs had more smarts and knew a good thing lol.

Rubyview Miniature Horses

Becky - Personal Chef & Chief of Staff to:

Minis R Us Xquisite Miss

Pacific Masquerade
HHH Its A Ukelele

Rubyviews Sinnamon Skye

HHH Justa Buckin Bar Bar E Doll

Affectionately known as Missy, Masq, Music, BarbeDoll, and Skye

#8 rimmerpaints

rimmerpaints

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:I love my family I have 5 beautiful children and love my horses we have 4 big horses and two minis

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Sogladyou are safe and your horses are ok
Kelly

#9 Riverrose28

Riverrose28

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts
  • Interests:minis of course, bulldogs, sewing, reading, baking, grand kids

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Horses seem to have a sixth sence about these things, we had a hopping tornado come through here a couple of years ago, and I had four mares in a dry lot paddock with a run in that would hold 10, all four of them stood out in it, good thing as the tornado picked up the run in shed and threw it about twenty feet into the big barn. Jumped over the big barn and hit our woods taking out about four large trees and several fences, not to mention three windows in my house, water everywhere, and debris hit the roof of the runin shed were one of stallions was, and he was not injured as he was standing outside waiting for us to come get him out of the rain and hail. I have to give the horses credit, they know how to try and keep themselves safe. Looks like your guy came through OK, thank your lucky stars.

River Rose Farm Miniature Horses
www.riverroseminiatures.com
Home of Lucky Four Sugar Boys sundowner, AMHA Regional Reserve Champion Senior Stallion, AMHR Champion Senior STallion, and Champion or Champions "A" division, and his get River Rose Twinkling Sundown, multi Champion Jr. & Sr. Mare in halter and liberty.
Theresa Cameron "Terry"

#10 Lil Timber Buck

Lil Timber Buck

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Thanks everyone for that sweet thoughts and comments. Every day I thank my lucky stars that we didn't get hit worse. Several people at work lost everything....My thoughts and prayers go out to them as they piece their lives back together. For us, it is life as usual thank goodness :-0)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users