Photo

Alfalfa.

51 replies to this topic

#1 Lizzie

Lizzie

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Horses. Dogs. Antiques. History. Writer of Historical Fiction and poetry.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

Interesting article which is being discussed on our Gypsy Horse forum.

http://theintentiona...t-feed-alfalfa/#

In some countries, Alfalfa is known as Lucerne.

Lizzie

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

http://harlequinfarmsgypsyhorses.com/
Home of Gypsy Horses

and

Miniature Horses

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Nathan Luszcz

Nathan Luszcz

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

Not to feed it for minis, or all horses? I've had issues with minis because its so rich, but its a fine product overall and with proper awareness and diligence it makes a WONDERFUL top quality feed.

#3 Castle Rock Miniatures

Castle Rock Miniatures

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,239 posts
  • Interests:Family--especially my Grandchildren--horses, good friends and good books!

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

I won't try to "fight" the research in your article or get in a "pis&*(ing match over it, but all I can say is I LOVE ALFALFA and have fed only 100% Alfalfa hay (or pellets/cubes) to all my horses (big and small) over many, many years, and have NEVER had a problem with it.

I consider it the "hay of choice" for all mine -- especially the babies and lactating mares. I have never experienced ONE thing mentioned in the article, and pretty much TOTALLY disagree with it.

In the minis especially, I find comfort in the protein content -- especially for the babies and weanlings who need the extra protein. Yes, it's expensive ($18.00 per bale here), but I can't even imagine what would compete with it for nutritional value -- or as a 'supplement' to grain feeding. It can comfort upset tummies and I believe there is NOTHING like it!

I've raised show Arabians and imported Peruvian Pasos (as my 'big' horses) in addition to the minis that I have now. I most certainly disagree with EVERYTHING in this article, and hope it doesn't deter anyone from feeding, what I consider, the BEST hay for miniatures.

JMHO -- Diane at Castle Rock
Diane C. Wolcott - Castle Rock Miniature Horse Farm - http://www.castlerockminiatures.com
Breeding for Quality in Falabellas and American Miniature Appaloosas - AMHA / AMHR / FMHA / FBR
Breeding for that "big horsey look" in Miniature!

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

President - International Miniature Appaloosa & Pintaloosa Club
President - Falabella International Preservation Association

#4 Lizzie

Lizzie

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Horses. Dogs. Antiques. History. Writer of Historical Fiction and poetry.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

I wasn't condoning the article Diane, but just thought it was interesting and maybe worthy of discussion. Being out here in the South West, Alfalfa is pretty much the norm for all horses. It is also less expensive than most other hays and since there is no pasture here, all hay feed must be purchased. Like you, we have always fed Alfalfa. I had forgotten you also had PPs, like us. We will have to discuss that one day. I also had American Saddlebreds, Arabians and one Missouri Foxtrotter. All were fed Alfalfa with no problems.

My daughter feeds her Minis Alfalfa pellets and hay. She feeds her Gypsy Horses, half Alfalfa and half Bermuda. No pellets or cubes.

Lizzie

http://harlequinfarmsgypsyhorses.com/
Home of Gypsy Horses

and

Miniature Horses

#5 Genie

Genie

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • Interests:We are breeders of small miniature horses, under 34 but preferably 30 inches and under. We breed purebred Papillons.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

We feed a timothy/alfalfa mix and I doubt that there are any farms around here that you can get straight timothy.

I know I could get straight alfalfa but I would think it's too rich for my horses as well.
We had Quebec buyers here and they had bales of straight orchard grass which looked nice but I didn't like the way it smelled :OKinteresting

I guess I am just used to the timothy alfalfa mix and I chop it to feed it to my horses who will waste hay if in a slice.

Touch wood, we don't have many colic problems.

Interesting article and always so many different ideas.
Jim and Gene Baynham

NIxons Hill Farms

Home of Timber Ridges Dazzle, Kobecks Chief O Hatchee, Piddy Paddocks Glori Halylooyla, Grosshills Chief Crazyhorse,Nixons Hill Hats Off To Larry, Nixons Hill Johnny Be Good

Our goal is to be "TINY" and the perfect example of a full sized horse in miniature.

http://www.freewebs....iniaturehorses/

#6 Lewella

Lewella

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

I must say the whole "increased incidence of disease" portion of that article is one of the most scientifically flawed things I've read in a really, really long time!
Platte Ridge Farm
Lewella Tembreull & Family
Home of Modern Shetland Halter Hall of Fame Stallions:
Grassmere's Mr. Unique (HOF) - 1997 Modern Halter Pony of the Year - ASPC/AMHR
Willowlawn's Mr. Unique (HOF)
Plattes Unparalleled (HOF)

#7 Charlotte

Charlotte

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts
  • Interests:Beautiful little horses, 18th century American antiques, Art, Music, Flowers, Friends...Everything!

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

thank you for posting that article. It should lead to a good discussion.

We've fed alfalfa for many many years to big and small horses without experiencing the problems listed. I much prefer alfalfa in the diet over high grain/starch diets. We find it greatly reduces the incednece of colics and ulcers. Having said that though, all of our horses get 'some' grass hays too of varying amounts.
REFLECTIONS a miniature horse farm

Home of:

the *Knight* PtHA World Champion (multiple), PtHA Horse of the Year, AMHA World Top Ten (multiple), AMHA Regional Champion

"We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and
joyfulness. It is here on earth and has four legs."

#8 shadowpaints

shadowpaints

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

interesting.

i have always fed second crop alfalfa. has more nutrition than the grass hay. i am careful not to get my minis overly fat . never have had one founder either :)

new home, new adventures.

#9 JMS Miniatures

JMS Miniatures

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

I don't think alfalfa is a bad hay. I prefer not to feed straight alfalfa I really like the alfalfa/orchard combo.

#10 Hosscrazy

Hosscrazy

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

I've got the minis on timothy hay / soaked timothy pellets and the full size horses (Quarter horses) on #1 Alfalfa. I'm very happy with the results! :yeah

Liz N.
Liz N.
Forum Moderator
Located in Southern California - home to:
Quarter horses, miniature horses, and a few dogs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users