How to Make a Miniature Pony Harness

26 replies to this topic

#1 susanne

susanne

dB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,195 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:17 AM

Since, as they say, these are "Tips from people like you," I thought you'd all be interested in this knowledgeable ehow page:

How to Make a Miniature Pony Harness

Miniature Ponies need harnesses too. This is an easy how to on how to make a homemade mini pony harness...

Instructions

Things You'll Need
* STRONG Material
* Sewing knowledge
* Strong tread
* Tape measure
* Buckles

1. First, you'll need to measure your pony. Take measurements around the neck where the harness would lie, down the spine, and around the belly of the horse. You never want a harness that is too tight, you don't want to hurt the pony.

2. once you have your measurements, you'll need to cut your material for the straps. A good choice is leather, canvas, or nylon. The stronger the better. If you would like to make a satin harness, go for it, but it might not last. Cut your fabric into the strips, for extra strength, double the fabric. Sew the pieces together, be sure to double stitch, for extra strength. Be sure to leave extra room at the ends for the buckles. To secure them, place the end of the strap through the metal loop, fold into the inside of the layers, and sew.

3. Once you have all your straps sewn, you can strap up your pony. The buckles should be easy to get to. One on the back of the neck, and 2 along the back of the pony. This way you can get the harness on and off easily.

Tips & Warnings

* If you cant sew, how about ropes, with slip knots? Not good enough? Try buying a pony harness.
* Pony's can kick you. Be careful.

http://www.ehow.com/...ny-harness.html

........................................................................................

What if it's all a big hoax and we create a better world for nothing?

"I guarantee you that every person of color in this country has faced an indignity, from the ridiculous to the grotesque to the sometimes fatal, at some point in their..I'm going to say last couple of hours, because of their skin color. Race is there, and it is a constant. You're tired of hearing about it? Imagine how ***ing exhausting it is living it. -- Jon Stewart

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Minimor

Minimor

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,407 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:19 AM

Now that is good knowledge, for sure. :wacko Such detailed instructions they give, and it sounds so simple & easy to make!

I am glad that I hadn't seen this tidbit of helpfulness before now. :OKinteresting
CEDAR PLAINS SHETLANDS and MINIATURES

Specializing in Miniature 'over' division driving horses/prospects with conformation, MOVEMENT and refinement!

American Shetlands...just FOR THE FUN OF IT!

#3 Performancemini

Performancemini

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:Minis! Horses! Dogs! Baking. Music. Reading. Creative "stuff".

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:58 AM

:gaah

#4 Reignmaker Miniatures

Reignmaker Miniatures

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • Interests:Horse, dogs, gardening

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

Good grief!!! That is just ummmmm....yes well, what CAN a person say about such a great explanation? :doh:

#5 Peggy P

Peggy P

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

Now don't we all feel stupid for spending hundreds of $$$ on a harness when we could have sewn one ourselves? I especially want one out of satin....it would just be so pretty!! I am off to fire up the old sewing machine! (Tongue firmly in cheek)
Peggy
proud Mom of:
Sundance Kid 1993 36" mini AMHR
Butch Cassidy 2004 (?) 38" VSE rescue
Festins Pharoh 1997 OTTB 16.3H

#6 hobbyhorse23

hobbyhorse23

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,638 posts
  • Interests:Driving my two boys single, pair and tandem

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

I'm with Peggy- why have we all been complaining that biothane was too shiny when we could have been going with SATIN?! :rofl My goodness, how "special."

Leia

Horses, like people, are never "finished." The work of self-improvement is never done.

Proud partner of Arrowstar's Dakota, Evergreen Miniature Horse Club's 2008 Preliminary Combined Driving and Western Country Pleasure Under Champion

RIP Oak Bay Turbocharged Edition, April 15, 2008 - March 17, 2013

Beloved Partner of Leia and Kody

Taken Too Soon

RIP Spyderman, January 12, 1977 - May 27, 2010
You are (still) missed

#7 Performancemini

Performancemini

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:Minis! Horses! Dogs! Baking. Music. Reading. Creative "stuff".

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

Personally I think the sequined micro dot would be much snazzier :HappyBounce! And we could get some real sharp ones done up for the halloween season with the fabrics available for then :rofl- or even one for every season and holiday- why not!:BananaHappy

#8 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

O darn. My vintage sewing machine won't sew through double thicknesses of canvas or leather. Too bad, as I have some vintage rhinestone buckles that would have looked good.

#9 susanne

susanne

dB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,195 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

I'm going to try my hand at a macramé harness, but knowing Mingus, I'd better heed their warning that ponies can kick!

........................................................................................

What if it's all a big hoax and we create a better world for nothing?

"I guarantee you that every person of color in this country has faced an indignity, from the ridiculous to the grotesque to the sometimes fatal, at some point in their..I'm going to say last couple of hours, because of their skin color. Race is there, and it is a constant. You're tired of hearing about it? Imagine how ***ing exhausting it is living it. -- Jon Stewart

#10 Minimor

Minimor

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,407 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

Ooohh, oooo, oooo--I just remembered--I have a drawer full of material that I once bought to use in a parade outfit--I have oodles of silver satin and black w/silver velvet...I am QUITE sure that I can make that all into a lovely silver & black show harness. If I use it only for showing, the satin and velvet should hold up quite well, don't ya think?? :OKinteresting
CEDAR PLAINS SHETLANDS and MINIATURES

Specializing in Miniature 'over' division driving horses/prospects with conformation, MOVEMENT and refinement!

American Shetlands...just FOR THE FUN OF IT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users