Foaling and age of the mare

23 replies to this topic

#1 zoey829

zoey829

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

At what age do you stop breeding your mares? I like to stop at 17 and let them live thier life as a pet. Enjoying life. I am considering buying a mare who is a little older (14 in May)and hesitant to buy her. She is a high quality mare and prob coudnt afford her if she was in her prime. So I just wanted to get thoughts.

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 supaspot

supaspot

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Interests:almost anything with four legs

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:42 PM

you only need one foal from her and then shes paid for herself , everything after that is a bonus , I would guess she should breed for at least another four years so if he a quality mare I would go for it ,

www.celticmistminiaturehorses.com
home of RHA Rangers Absolut -
SUPREME GRAND CHAMPION OF IRELAND 2011 & 2012 RESERVE SUPREME 2013
ALL-IRELAND CHAMPION STALLION 2011 , 2012 and 2013 
UK AMHS Honour Roll Champion
2004 AMHA World Top Three and AMHR National top Ten ,
AMHA & AMHR multiple grand champion stallion
European , Regional , National and world champion producer

#3 HGFarm

HGFarm

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,597 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

I would also go for it (but you know that already) Some horses seem to be old at 20 and some much later. If the mare is healthy and she is obviously a viable quality mare, GO FOR IT. Her foals have been good quality also. That is not old, in my books, and I know mares that are producing in their early 20's with no problems. You just have to go by each individual horse and you know this mare has been well cared for and had a good life so far too. DO IT. I would.

Laurie
Heather Glen Farm

AMHA/AMHR Appaloosas

#4 ForeverFarma

ForeverFarma

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:31 PM

My first mini mare was 22 when I bought her in foal, she delivered a healthy filly at 23 yrs, and while I was hesitant to breed her, she had her own ideas about that and delivered her last and only colt (all fillies till him!) at 24. We lost her due to a stroke when that colt was 3 1/2 mths old, but I honestly believe she'd still be around had it not been for that stroke- she was healthy and full of herself and acted much younger than 24 yrs old. She was the queen bee and let all teh younger mares know it.

Right now I have a 15 yr old & a 16 yr old in foal, and am on the fence about breeding my 19 yr old mare for a last foal come spring. I love older mares, and that's generally how you get your better horses by buying the older gals that most folks don't want to deal with anymore.

#5 MountainMeadows

MountainMeadows

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:36 PM

I would check her foaling history - if she has missed in the last couple of years that MIGHT be a warning to you. If she has been a consistent producer and foaled as early as 2010 then she is probably a gold mine. The key to some of these older mares is KEEPING THEM PREGNANT. I know that sounds cruel, and anyone who knows me that I am the biggest crusader for the mare out there - but if she is keeping her weight up, foals with no problems and is a happy pregnant mare, then the best thing for you to do to ensure that she will continue to produce is to keep her in foal and PANDER TO HER NEEDS. If she is looking worn out, gets ultra thin, has trouble foaling, etc, etc, then it is probably time for her to retire. I have several mares that are in their late teens and early 20's that are happily perking right along - rest assured that when they don't have an easy pregnancy that they will retire to a cozy stall and live out the rest of their lives as pampered pets.
Mountain Meadows Miniatures
Home of National and World Grand Champions

#6 zoey829

zoey829

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:41 PM

Hmmmm very interesting. This mare has been WELL taken care of. And yes she has produced consitantly. And looks really good. And as sone mentioned if she was younger I prob coudnt afford her anyway. So it is a good way to get nice stock. Thanks for the help, will keep everyone posted

#7 Guest_StarRidgeAcres_*

Guest_StarRidgeAcres_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

If she had not foaled successfully in 2010 then I might think harder on it, but if she had a healthy foal with no problems recently, I'd go for it. I LOVE older mares. And I mean in their 20's, not teenagers. Been there, done that and know how to do it again!

#8 zoey829

zoey829

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

Yes she had a foal in 2010 and is very healthy and looks to be 10!! And I dont wnat to give anything away but has produces some nice foals!!!

#9 rabbitsfizz

rabbitsfizz

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,904 posts
  • Interests:I have had horses most of my life, and I have been breeding Miniature Horses for just over thirty five years. I have a specific interest in colour and pattern genetics.

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:27 AM

14 is not all that old for a consistent broodmare. I tend to let them stop at around 17 but, if I am on a roll, as it were, and the mare foals OK I will go on longer. Sometimes broodmares do not appreciate being left out of foal!
I would go for it, as Supa says, one foal form her and she has paid for herself.
Jane

DUMP THE CHECKREIN!!!!!

All good things come in small packages.......including horses!
Proudly breeding British Miniature Horses since 1978.
http://www.shadowplayminihorses.co.uk/

#10 bannerminis

bannerminis

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
  • Interests:My miniature horses, love reading when I get the chance, music, and a big fan of the CSI's, and Dexter

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:11 AM

I think if the mare is healthy and foals with no issues then as others have said I would go for it. Some mares thrive on pregnancy and love their little babies and wont have it any other way.
I dont have a problem letting older mares go in foal if they are healthy and happy. So judge your mares individually and take it from there. And 14 is not old in a mare - she has many good yrs left in her and foals.
Karina
Banner Miniature Horses

http://www.bannerminiaturehorses.com/#!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users