5 replies to this topic

#1 Richters Mom

Richters Mom

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hi:

I would like to use one of my minis as a therapy horse specifically with youth in residential facilities. Does anyone have info on organizations that certify horses for this purpose?

Thank you.
Richter's Mom

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Becky

Becky

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,960 posts
  • Interests:Miniature horses, of course!

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

You might look into this organization, Creatures and Kids. Although it's Oklahoma based, they might be able to give you some good information.
Redrock Miniature Horse Farm
Superior Splashed White and Tobiano Miniature Horses

Fiesta Acres Mystique - World Champion and Top 10 exotic and exciting jet black Jr Stallion

Catca Woods Duke Of Earl - Palomino tobiano/sabino pinto son of Lucky Four Rangers Imperial out of a daughter of Little Kings Phantom Buckeroo

Located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

#3 Sixstardanes

Sixstardanes

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Drawing/Painting/Creating, Great Danes & Equines of all sizes

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

Where are you located?
I believe the Delta Society http://www.deltasoci...ge.aspx?pid=261
registers equine therapy animals.

Our boy Saber was tested and registered through Love On A Leash. http://www.loveonaleash.org/
However, I don't know if they will test & register new equines as they found out their insurance group policy does NOT cover horses. :No-Sad
Saber can still be registered through LOAL if we wished since we privately purchase liability insurance on him yearly.
Rachel C.
Keeper/caretaker of 4 cockatiels ,3 Great Danes, 1 Chi/Terrier X, 6 housecats & Saber, a registered Therapy Mini stallion a.k.a. Dodger Billieu 32" AMHA/AMHR

#4 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,998 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:29 AM

Yes, DELTA does register equine therapy animals.

And once you are registered, the animal is bonded.........Do some research and you will find out what is best for you.

I will also add......there are many of us who have visited senior centers and places like it with a mini without a special license. One thing that helps legally is if you ask for the organization or facility to send you a request to visit them with your mini.........

Have your mini's hooves wrapped in vet wrap so he doesn't slide on the floors......and don't let people give him treats or he'll get nippy.

Take a garbage bag and some rubber gloves in case of a poop accident, but he'll probably do it in the trailer. :RollEyes

Otherwise, you are set!
Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#5 Richters Mom

Richters Mom

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

Yes, DELTA does register equine therapy animals.

And once you are registered, the animal is bonded.........Do some research and you will find out what is best for you.

I will also add......there are many of us who have visited senior centers and places like it with a mini without a special license. One thing that helps legally is if you ask for the organization or facility to send you a request to visit them with your mini.........

Have your mini's hooves wrapped in vet wrap so he doesn't slide on the floors......and don't let people give him treats or he'll get nippy.

Take a garbage bag and some rubber gloves in case of a poop accident, but he'll probably do it in the trailer. :RollEyes

Otherwise, you are set!

#6 Richters Mom

Richters Mom

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hi All:

Thank you for your input. I will definitely follow up on the suggestions. I've trained 11 Search and Rescue K9 teams to National Police Certification but had no idea about equine certifications. Your info is invaluable.

Richter's Mom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users