Photo

Unbeleivable!!!! Judge says Champ can go back to people who starved him!

77 replies to this topic

#61 rabbitsfizz

rabbitsfizz

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,889 posts
  • Interests:I have had horses most of my life, and I have been breeding Miniature Horses for just over thirty five years. I have a specific interest in colour and pattern genetics.

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:54 AM

I have told them that the eyes of the world are now upon them, waiting to see the power of American justice!!
We need to contact Princess Aliyah of Jordan and get her on the case...anyone still have her e-mail address from that last awful case?
And Brigitte Bardot?
Jane

DUMP THE CHECKREIN!!!!!

All good things come in small packages.......including horses!
Proudly breeding British Miniature Horses since 1978.
http://www.shadowplayminihorses.co.uk/

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#62 SilverDollar

SilverDollar

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

I am a bit speechless right now but my fingers have been furiously searching the internet for all the information I can find. Still working on getting my blood pressure down. Here is information I have found that may be useful in getting justice for Champ. I could not find email addresses for all involved but do have phone numbers.

The judge:

David W. Green
Title: County Judge
Judicial Assistant: Doris West
Office Address:
Walton County Courthouse
571 Highway 90 East
DeFuniak Springs , FL 32435
County: Walton
Telephone: 850-892-8131
Fax: 850-892-8377
(No email address could be found for the judge.)

Judicial Experience: County Judge, March 1997 to present
Was just automatically re-elected in 2010 for another 6-year term after running unopposed.
Website for Courthouse
(From a news story in 2008: "Green is a lifelong resident of Walton County. He grew up in DeFuniak Springs, and has always lived within 200 yards of the same area.")

Reviewing the case is Greg Anchors, Chief Assistant at the State Attorney's Office in Walton County.
Contact him at:
Office of the State Attorney, 1st Judicial Circuit
524 East Highway 90
DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435
(850) 892-8080

• The "alleged" abusers are Nicholas William Sconiers (age 28)and Jessica Lynn Sconiers (age 26) of DeFuniak, FL (Walton County); news story confirmed she works at the courthouse but I haven't been able to determine in what capacity. She is not listed in any of the departments in the staff directory.
  • Champ's owners have three other horses that were deemed healthy and in acceptable condition. Vet confirmed he has no medical issues that would explain his deplorable condition.
  • Greg Anchors, from the State Attorney's Office, said that felony charges will not be filed but the case is still under review to determine if misdemeanor charges will be filed. (Felony statutes require "willful intent".)
  • The Sheriff's Office is currently in the process of re-submitting the lesser charge. Contact the Public Information Office, Camile Cox, at ccox@waltonso.org.
:torch :torch :torch
Rebecca McNeil
CMHR Vice President & California State Coordinator
www.ChancesMiniHorseRescue.org

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."-Martin Luther King, Jr.

#63 raine

raine

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:50 AM

I have emailed my opinions from Spain, I see this here a lot with the work i do for our own rescue center www.easyhorsecare.net
but i really didnt think that in the USA they would be as corrupt and as uncaring as it is here....
Dimundo Miniatures www.miniature-horses-spain.com

#64 AppyLover2

AppyLover2

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:50 AM

I just saw this this morning but have sent the following email to the TV station.

"On August 28th I emailed you thanking you for making public the plight of the starved miniature horse Champ who had been seized and taken to a Alaqua animal rescue. Right now there is a very real possibility that Champ will be returned to the owners who so pitifully neglected him. The reason - insufficient evidence(?). I don't understand how anyone could watch your broadcast or see the pictures of Champ and not KNOW that neglect took place?

I mentioned in my earlier email that I'm a member of a miniature horse forum, some of whom I'm sure have already contacted you. The judge's ruling on this case (and, in fact, Champ's earlier story) is receivng worldwide attention. One member even posted that she sees this kind of thing in her county but "really didnt think that in the USA they would be as corrupt and as uncaring as it is here...." While I'm not suggesting that "corruption" is involved I (and hundreds of other people) am of the firm opinion that returning Champ to his original owners is not in his best interest. These trusting animals have to rely on the people around them to care for them and keep them in good health; to return him to the people who neglected and starved him would be a gross miscarriage of justice. While I realize times are hard for some, starvation of a defenseless animal is not acceptable but to return him to those same people would be criminal.

I implore you to please take up the banner for Champ once again. Florida residents need to know that this horse is in jeopardy of being returned to the heck hole from which he was rescued.

Thank you for your time and for helping Champion."

Jane we should add Ophra Winfrey and Bonnie Hunt to the list of people to make aware of this.

Raine I sincerely hope you don't mind me quoting you in my letter to the TV station. But.....it pretty well says it all.

ETA I just sent an email to Oprah.com
Donna

'Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....
Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom'

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept it's awful gaps we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality..." by Irving Townsend

In the past, life has administered severe tests and I have survived; I carry the scars to prove it - some are physical but all are permanent .

If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit..... author unknown

#65 StellaLenoir

StellaLenoir

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

Nick Sconiers is a member of a large family that has managed Sconier's Septic Tank Service for over 40 years in Walton Co.
He and his wife are youth ministers at First Assembly of God Church in DeFuniak Springs, FL.

These people had plenty of places to seek help.

#66 Mona

Mona

I just can't help myself :-)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,609 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, Horses, Dogs

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

Thank you SilverDollar for that info. You stated that it cannot be charged as a felony because felony statutes require "willful intent". If this is not WILLFUL INTENT, then what is??!! If they had him under vet care and supervision trying to make him well, then that would be different, but when you are watching an animal STARVE to death, day after day after day, before your eyes, than how can it be anything other than WILLFUL INTENT??!!! Posted Image

I hope that with all the outpouring of calls, emails, LOVE, CARE, and CONCERN from all AROUND THE WORLD coming into their offices, the Posted Image, and also hope they don't just Posted Image and tell us all Posted Image to try to try to shut us all up and make us disappear. Posted Image is of the essence here!

Sending LOTS of Posted Image for our dear little Champ.
$$$ The Money Pit Ranch $$$

Home to the following large and small money gobblers:

"Cheyenne"
- Smokey Black Pinto Tennessee Walking Horse Mare
"Whitey" - White (Maximum Expressed Sabino Pinto) Tennessee Walking Horse Gelding

"Abby" - Spayed Female Boxer
"Monkey" - Neutered Male Chinese Crested/Chihuahua Mix

#67 AppyLover2

AppyLover2

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

That just makes it that much worse. I'd definitely want people like that set up as a roll model to my children. :RollEyes
Donna

'Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....
Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom'

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept it's awful gaps we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality..." by Irving Townsend

In the past, life has administered severe tests and I have survived; I carry the scars to prove it - some are physical but all are permanent .

If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit..... author unknown

#68 MountainMeadows

MountainMeadows

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

We are a strong body of people who CAN make a difference not only in Champ's life but in the lives of many many defenseless animals who are treated cruelly - just look at all the work that CHANCES has done and what lives have been turned around due to their incredible efforts.

We have in our midst several celebrities that we can call upon - I personally do not have contact info for these people, but they DID buy miniature horses from someone & they DO love their minis -- perhaps Whoopie Goldberg, Travis Tritt, Carson Pressley & ??? could be contacted and ask that they also use their CONSIDERABLE pull to help make things right for this little horse.

Do any of you have any way of contact these folks personally? I would be very surprised if they would not exert their efforts in the behalf of Champ

I know that my overseas friends are writing and calling -- I am thinking that Judge Green is either dense, dumb as a box or rocks, or completely mortified that he let this happen - hopefully he is not just sitting there with an indignant attitude ignoring all that is going on in the behalf of Champ
Mountain Meadows Miniatures
Home of National and World Grand Champions

#69 SilverDollar

SilverDollar

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Excellent letter, AppyLover2.

Mona, I completely agree! I cannot wrap my head around just what exactly qualifies as willful intent. To me, the fact that they have three other horses that look "good" means that they know something about feeding and caring for horses. The fact that they didn't ensure that Champ also had adequate nutrition and care is a clear sign of willful neglect and abuse. They cannot claim ignorance and should be prosecuted on the felony charge.

I dealt with conflict of interest in our county's courthouse in the case of horse neglect and the local newspaper shined the spotlight on it. As a result we received a change of the district attorney assigned to the case. Perhaps the State Attorney of Florida, Greg Anchors, should consider having an alternate county's judge review this case since the alleged abuser, Jessica Sconiers, is an employee of the courthouse.

(Ellen Degeneres is a huge animal advocate. I will make contact with her office today to see if she would be interested in doing something.)
Rebecca McNeil
CMHR Vice President & California State Coordinator
www.ChancesMiniHorseRescue.org

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."-Martin Luther King, Jr.

#70 raine

raine

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

I just saw this this morning but have sent the following email to the TV station.

"On August 28th I emailed you thanking you for making public the plight of the starved miniature horse Champ who had been seized and taken to a Alaqua animal rescue. Right now there is a very real possibility that Champ will be returned to the owners who so pitifully neglected him. The reason - insufficient evidence(?). I don't understand how anyone could watch your broadcast or see the pictures of Champ and not KNOW that neglect took place?

I mentioned in my earlier email that I'm a member of a miniature horse forum, some of whom I'm sure have already contacted you. The judge's ruling on this case (and, in fact, Champ's earlier story) is receivng worldwide attention. One member even posted that she sees this kind of thing in her county but "really didnt think that in the USA they would be as corrupt and as uncaring as it is here...." While I'm not suggesting that "corruption" is involved I (and hundreds of other people) am of the firm opinion that returning Champ to his original owners is not in his best interest. These trusting animals have to rely on the people around them to care for them and keep them in good health; to return him to the people who neglected and starved him would be a gross miscarriage of justice. While I realize times are hard for some, starvation of a defenseless animal is not acceptable but to return him to those same people would be criminal.

I implore you to please take up the banner for Champ once again. Florida residents need to know that this horse is in jeopardy of being returned to the heck hole from which he was rescued.

Thank you for your time and for helping Champion."

Jane we should add Ophra Winfrey and Bonnie Hunt to the list of people to make aware of this.

Raine I sincerely hope you don't mind me quoting you in my letter to the TV station. But.....it pretty well says it all.

ETA I just sent an email to Oprah.com

Dimundo Miniatures www.miniature-horses-spain.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users