22 replies to this topic

#1 MindyLee

MindyLee

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Interests:Iris, daylillys & mini horses

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:06 PM

Today my husband found a nice little enclosed 5x8 white trailer abandond on the side of the freeway with a broken axle. He is a wrecker driver so he did get a hold of the owners and they said keep it! So now after all the right paperwork has been done, I have plans to converting it to a mini trailer and need 2 dividers for 3 stalls in it. What are some good/safe/hardy ideals for dividers to use in it and I figured they will be sideways so what side should the horses heads be facing (passanger side or drivers side) ?

Thanks! biggrin.gif

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 ruffian

ruffian

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:18 PM

I've used Polyethylene (PE) solid gates for 3 trailers now, and love them. They are around $100 with latches, and well worth the money. These are before I power washed them for the winter. There is not steel to cut the horses, or any splinters to worry about

I get them from High Country plastics.

I put my stalls so the horse's heads on the drivers side. It makes it easier to load and unload.
Limited Edition Farm

HOME OF
ERL's Zeus Lightning Bolt
2009 AMHA WORLD GRAND CHAMPION SENIOR STALLION
Eastern Championships Grand Champion Senior Stallion.

LDS Smooth Operator
2011 AMHR NATIONAL YEARLING STALLION, 30 and under

LDS The Buckeroo Kid
[b]2011 AMHR NATIONAL Top Ten CP Driving Over -

#3 Jill

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,161 posts
  • Interests:horses, public speaking, investing & money management (my career), loving our dogs, cooking, fishkeeping, reading (2-4 books a month), news junkie & US politics

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:22 PM

These are the dividers in our mini gooseneck trailer:

Whinny For Me Farm
Jill O'Roark & Harvey Hamilton, Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit our website at www.whinny4me.com to see our prestigiously bred champions and treasured companions including our beloved NATIONAL winning stallions:

Erica's Echos of My Destiny HOF, 33" Smokey Silver Black: Nat'l Champion / Res. Nat'l GRAND Champion / HOF
Erica's Gone and DunIT, 31" Smokey Grey Grullo: Nat'l Top Ten / AMHA Honor Roll / Multi Grand Champion --and--
Erica's Can't Take My Eyes Off You, 29" Black: 3x Nat'l Champion / Supreme Champion / Na'l All Star Champion

#4 hobbyhorse23

hobbyhorse23

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,638 posts
  • Interests:Driving my two boys single, pair and tandem

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

I would have them facing the driver's side as that's standard in big horse trailers and I assume there's a reason for that. smile.gif As for dividers, I'm ordering a set from someone on the LB saleboard and have been VERY happy with his service so far! Ray is going above and beyond and I really like the fact that his dividers have mesh in the head area so the horses can see each other. I've had some problems with my minis and solid dividers. (Pyro went ballistic and tried to go over the top of them and Turbo gets very antsy if I tie him short so he can't see around the divider.) Both horses relaxed immediately when they could see the horse next to them.

Leia

Horses, like people, are never "finished." The work of self-improvement is never done.

Proud partner of Arrowstar's Dakota, Evergreen Miniature Horse Club's 2008 Preliminary Combined Driving and Western Country Pleasure Under Champion

RIP Oak Bay Turbocharged Edition, April 15, 2008 - March 17, 2013

Beloved Partner of Leia and Kody

Taken Too Soon

RIP Spyderman, January 12, 1977 - May 27, 2010
You are (still) missed

#5 Jill

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,161 posts
  • Interests:horses, public speaking, investing & money management (my career), loving our dogs, cooking, fishkeeping, reading (2-4 books a month), news junkie & US politics

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (hobbyhorse23 @ Dec 5 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have them facing the driver's side as that's standard in big horse trailers and I assume there's a reason for that.

Yes, there's a reason. The reason is that the majority of the horses' weight is carried by their front legs. Roads are not perfectly level but have a rise in the center. This is to facilitate water run off. You want the heavier part of the horse on the higher part of the road for better trailer stability (assuming most of us are not usually in the fast lane when hauling horses).
Whinny For Me Farm
Jill O'Roark & Harvey Hamilton, Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit our website at www.whinny4me.com to see our prestigiously bred champions and treasured companions including our beloved NATIONAL winning stallions:

Erica's Echos of My Destiny HOF, 33" Smokey Silver Black: Nat'l Champion / Res. Nat'l GRAND Champion / HOF
Erica's Gone and DunIT, 31" Smokey Grey Grullo: Nat'l Top Ten / AMHA Honor Roll / Multi Grand Champion --and--
Erica's Can't Take My Eyes Off You, 29" Black: 3x Nat'l Champion / Supreme Champion / Na'l All Star Champion

#6 picasso

picasso

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

I'll try to put pictures of mine on later tonight. It is actually at a friend of ours house having dividers put in it. We are going to pick it up as soon as my son gets off work at noon. We took a 4 horse slant load and converted it for minis. It will have 7 stalls then a place for storage in the front or I can take the stuff out and put another horse up there. I keep telling myself I'm not hauling more than 7 this year!!!!
Visit My Website

Donna

HIGH MOUNTAIN QUARTER HORSES AND MINIATURES

size=5]Home of:[/[/size]size]
Buckeye WCF Tanchico(HOF)
Hall of Fame 2008-Foundation Shetland Halter
2008 ASPC Congress Top Ten Multi Color Gelding
2008 and 2007 ASPC Congress Reserve National Champion Model Gelding
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Multi-Color Class-Over
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Youth Showmanship-Over

Rhapsody's Quest For Gold(HOF)
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Amateur Halter, Sr. Gelding-Over
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Open Halter, Sr. Gelding-Over with Mike McCabe
2008 AMHR Nationals National Champion Youth Costume Class
2008 AMHR Reserve National Champion Solid Color-Gelding-Over

Iona Farms JuJu Believe In Magic
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Youth Jumping-Under (5th of 36)
AMHA World Top Ten Youth Jumper
3-year old Futurity Driving
3-year old Futurity Hunter

Little Wheels Fire Blueprint
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Youth Showmanship-Under
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Multi-Color Class-Under

SAS Dust Buster
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Youth Western Country Pleasure Driving 13-17
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Solid Color-Gelding-Over

CLRs Crusin

2009 AMHR Nationals Pleasure Driving, Over-Open National Champion

2009 AMHR Nationals Pleasure Driving Stakes, Over National Grand Champion

Winner of the King of Kings Trophy

#7 MindyLee

MindyLee

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Interests:Iris, daylillys & mini horses

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (Jill @ Dec 5 2009, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (hobbyhorse23 @ Dec 5 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have them facing the driver's side as that's standard in big horse trailers and I assume there's a reason for that.

Yes, there's a reason. The reason is that the majority of the horses' weight is carried by their front legs. Roads are not perfectly level but have a rise in the center. This is to facilitate water run off. You want the heavier part of the horse on the higher part of the road for better trailer stability (assuming most of us are not usually in the fast lane when hauling horses).

This totally makes sence! Thanks for this info as it is very helpfull. Also I really like the plastic gates that Dana has in her trailer. They look very sterdy and safe as I do have a stallion that likes to rear up in the trailer when its not moving. I got on the High Country Plastics site and wow they also had all kinds of neat things offered for sale. Thanks Dana!

Thanks everyone for some examples!

#8 Guest_krissy3_*

Guest_krissy3_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

good info on the road being different heights for water run off. Some time this week my new trailer will be here. It is suppose to be just 2 meters high and have a 3, slant load with a sattle room. I am curious to see what the slant load will look like in such a small trailer. The guy at the dealer said it was "a cute little trailer" I hope he is right , now I need stickers to personalize it . I can send photos if you would like when it comes.

#9 ruffian

ruffian

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

"I would have them facing the driver's side as that's standard in big horse trailers and I assume there's a reason for that."

My reason for doing it that way is that you lead the horses on the left hand side. So when loading, if you face them towards the right side of the trailer, you would have lead in from the right and it's confusing to most horses and makes them not want to lead. It also is more cumbersome leading that way. And if you try to lead in on the left, and push them to the right into the stalls, you end up between the horse and the front of the trailer. When the horses' heads are on the left, I just lead them in normally , swing them around, and hook the trailer ties.

Limited Edition Farm

HOME OF
ERL's Zeus Lightning Bolt
2009 AMHA WORLD GRAND CHAMPION SENIOR STALLION
Eastern Championships Grand Champion Senior Stallion.

LDS Smooth Operator
2011 AMHR NATIONAL YEARLING STALLION, 30 and under

LDS The Buckeroo Kid
[b]2011 AMHR NATIONAL Top Ten CP Driving Over -

#10 picasso

picasso

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

We just got our trailer back last night from having it converted from a 4 horse slant to be able to haul minis. I can haul 7 with storage in the front and the back tack still there. If I put stuff out of the front part into the living quarters I can haul one or two more horses. We are really happy with the job that he did on the trailer. Can't wait till show season again. We bought this trailer right before Nationals. Got it for the living quarters so we don't have to stay in motels. We love it. Used it to go to Nationals, but had no dividers. Luckily the horses are fairly well behaved and had no problem going to Tulsa, but I wanted dividers.

The dividers are all made of aluminum. The metal loops on the ends are for straps to hook behind them. I don't have them yet. Each divider has a pin that drops down in to a hole in the floor of the trailer.
Visit My Website

Donna

HIGH MOUNTAIN QUARTER HORSES AND MINIATURES

size=5]Home of:[/[/size]size]
Buckeye WCF Tanchico(HOF)
Hall of Fame 2008-Foundation Shetland Halter
2008 ASPC Congress Top Ten Multi Color Gelding
2008 and 2007 ASPC Congress Reserve National Champion Model Gelding
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Multi-Color Class-Over
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Youth Showmanship-Over

Rhapsody's Quest For Gold(HOF)
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Amateur Halter, Sr. Gelding-Over
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Open Halter, Sr. Gelding-Over with Mike McCabe
2008 AMHR Nationals National Champion Youth Costume Class
2008 AMHR Reserve National Champion Solid Color-Gelding-Over

Iona Farms JuJu Believe In Magic
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Youth Jumping-Under (5th of 36)
AMHA World Top Ten Youth Jumper
3-year old Futurity Driving
3-year old Futurity Hunter

Little Wheels Fire Blueprint
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Youth Showmanship-Under
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Multi-Color Class-Under

SAS Dust Buster
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Youth Western Country Pleasure Driving 13-17
2008 AMHR Nationals Top Ten Solid Color-Gelding-Over

CLRs Crusin

2009 AMHR Nationals Pleasure Driving, Over-Open National Champion

2009 AMHR Nationals Pleasure Driving Stakes, Over National Grand Champion