Castration question

15 replies to this topic

#1 novachick

novachick

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

I think my vet is trying to pull a fast one on me...so I'd like some other opinions.

My colt went into the vet for what we thought would be a crypt surgery, but under full anesthesia the surgeon was able to find the second one and called me afterward very happy that it would cost be significantly less than a crypt surgery because it was a normal castration. I was quoted $850 for the crypt surgery, so I was expecting somewhere in the vicinity of $650. When I got my bill, I was surprised to find out it was still $850. So I called the vet today and the technician who answered said that the vet did a scrotal ablation, which she described as closing the wound for easier aftercare. I accepted this answer for about 30seconds, then pulled out the form I got at discharge that had the box cehcked for castration, not for scrotal ablation or crypt. After I called back with this information, she pulled the chart and first told me that it really was a crypt, the the surgeon charged me for the ablation to save me some money, then said oh no, it wasn't a crypt, but he did close it up so it was truly an ablation. Then she said that the technician wasn't authorized to give me the sheet at discharge detailing what they did, because the owner has to review the bills before they are sent out. Sound fishy to me....especially since my horse came home with no sutures and large, open, red slits where his testicles should have been. There were clearly no sutures there.

So my question is, has anyone seen a scroal ablation versus an open castration and can you tell me how different it would have looked? Should I have been able to tell the difference upon the cleaning and hosing that I did?

I think business is down a bit and they are trying to get more money out of me than they should!

Thanks- Jen
Jen
Nitro Valley Farm

Home of:
GolDUNlocks...Goldi...owned by my daughter Katelyn
Coventry Lane's Right on Time...Rascal
Teaselwood's Queen of Diamonds...Red

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 txminipinto

txminipinto

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

I've seen plenty of scrotal ablations. They remove the scrotum intact and then suture it closed. There should be no slits or draining. And I've NEVER seen one done on a horse. I would go for a surgical recheck to another vet, have them document what actually occured (regular castration vs. "scrotal ablation"), and then go back to the original office to get questions answered. This sounds very off to me!
Carin Ponder, RVT
Iola, TX

Pondering Oaks Stables - Training, Sales, and Foaling services
Home of Pinto WORLD CHAMPIONS Happy Hooligan OK (HOF/ROM) and CSF Rosie Flores (ROM).
We work hard to make dreams come true!

Classic ASPC and Pinto Ponies

#3 iowa

iowa

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Miniature Horses, St Bernard dogs, good books

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

Sounds like a regular castration to me. I had one that was sutured after castration and you could see the sutures, otherwise it is just open as you said. I'd take it to another vet to have it examined and see if there are any sutures higher up that you can't see. Sometimes they sew the ring tighter and that is higher up. That's a lot of money if they didn't do the proceedure. Our vet charges $160.00 to do the surgery for a crypt through the abdomen and another one in the area is $290 to do it through the ingunal ring.
"My treasures do not clink or glitter, They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night."

#4 novachick

novachick

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

Thank you both for the replies! I'm almost positive it was left open as I was looking under him several times to rinse it out with the hose and check for any inflammation. Sounds very strange to me how many times the story changed and the fact that she said that the tech wasn't suppossed to give me the form that I got at discharge. It's a shame to because I take my 2 dogs, iguana, 3 potbellied pigs and now 3 minis to them...that might be changing very quickly! Unfortunately it was almost 2 months ago that the surgery was done, so I don't think any other vet will be able to tell what was done at this point.

Thanks again!
Jen
Nitro Valley Farm

Home of:

#5 Laura Leopard

Laura Leopard

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

Be very observant as to how your colt is healing. My boy had a crypt surgery, but the end result (slits) sounds like what my guy had. After following all of the post op instructions, I noticed that he wasn't healing like they said he should. I took him to another vet that was closer, thinking it was just a mild infection and they gave me additional antibiotics. Well, after continuing to treat for an additional week with no improvement, I had that other vet recheck more closely. they found a small piece of gauze sticking out of a closing wound. The vet continued to explore the wound with forceps and found 3-4 whole gauze pads still inside him. The vet that did the castration didn't get it all out and the wound was trying to heal with gauze inside of my baby. He never acted sick, but I knew something wasn't right. The vet that did the surgery reinbursed me for the money spent at the other vet, and he's healthy now, but it was a scare.

Laura
Fox Squirrel Farm

#6 novachick

novachick

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Laura Leopard @ Jul 14 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Be very observant as to how your colt is healing. My boy had a crypt surgery, but the end result (slits) sounds like what my guy had. After following all of the post op instructions, I noticed that he wasn't healing like they said he should. I took him to another vet that was closer, thinking it was just a mild infection and they gave me additional antibiotics. Well, after continuing to treat for an additional week with no improvement, I had that other vet recheck more closely. they found a small piece of gauze sticking out of a closing wound. The vet continued to explore the wound with forceps and found 3-4 whole gauze pads still inside him. The vet that did the castration didn't get it all out and the wound was trying to heal with gauze inside of my baby. He never acted sick, but I knew something wasn't right. The vet that did the surgery reinbursed me for the money spent at the other vet, and he's healthy now, but it was a scare.

Laura

Laura, that is very scary. Lucky for us the crypt surgery wasn't necessary, it ended up being a normal castration. It was done 2 months ago and he healed great! But now I feel like they are trying to castrate my pocketbook!

Jen
Nitro Valley Farm

Home of:

#7 HGFarm

HGFarm

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

Sounds VERY fishy to me too!!!!!!!!!!! I would demand an answer, without a bunch of run around and demand a call back from the vet himself, not an office assistant who has no clue.

Laurie
Heather Glen Farm

AMHA/AMHR Appaloosas

#8 novachick

novachick

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (HGFarm @ Jul 14 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds VERY fishy to me too!!!!!!!!!!! I would demand an answer, without a bunch of run around and demand a call back from the vet himself, not an office assistant who has no clue.

I should have added...I demanded the owner call me back...I'm waiting for the call from him.

Jen
Nitro Valley Farm

Home of:

#9 osu_barrelracer

osu_barrelracer

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

We had one of our 2X Nat Champion stallions gelded earlier this year. He had MASSIVE testicles, larger than most big horses. Because of that, his age, ect, ect, we had our vet stitch him up. We paid $80 to have him cut and sewn up.
I would be going in and having a chat with the surgeon
Kimberly Sullivan
Spring Creek Farm
Miniature and Performance Horses
www.springcreekminis.com

#10 ~Lisa~

~Lisa~

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (osu_barrelracer @ Jul 14 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We had one of our 2X Nat Champion stallions gelded earlier this year. He had MASSIVE testicles, larger than most big horses. Because of that, his age, ect, ect, we had our vet stitch him up. We paid $80 to have him cut and sewn up.
I would be going in and having a chat with the surgeon

$80 bucks wow where do you live? Here is is about $200 -$250 by the time all is said and done for a normal routine gelding

Lisa
Ruff N Tuff Minis and Shetlands

Ruff N Tuff Minis and Shetlands

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users