Photo

What are the Coggins test requirements in your state?

37 replies to this topic

#21 jlh

jlh

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:53 PM

in arkansas,and this has been the law for more than a decade now, every horse must have a clean coggins within 12 months. any horse sold must have a clean test no more than six months old. all horse papers are required to be inspected at all equine events by certified verifiers before coming on grounds. anyone can call the L&P to ask for the coggins status of any horse.

Johnice L Hopson
Wynn's Folly Minis
www.wynnsfolly.com
http://wynnsfollymin...ting.net/Albums
Central Arkansas

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#22 targetsmom

targetsmom

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

I think I might have a bit different perspective on this because 2 of my horses were involved in a "Swamp Fever" (another name for Equine Infectious Anemia, which the Coggins tests for) epidemic in CT in 1973. I was very lucky that my 2 horses survived the quarantine and weeks of testing, but about 17 horses were not as lucky and were put down. This was the result of a single horse coming through a CT dealer who had transported it in from another state (yes, a Coggins would have been required) that later came down with the disease. After the dealer sold it of course!! A Coggins test on that one horse could have prevented a massive tragedy, and spared a lot of owners (many of them teens and young adults) much grief.

Now on the other hand, I was writing a Masters Theseis at the time and did some research which I incorporated into that document. The Coggins only tests for antibodies, or horses that have been exposed, so there is chance that you are destroying horses that are actually immune to the disease. But until they find a better way to manage this horrible disease, I am in favor of the testing and the current follow-up.

Mary

On Target Miniatures, AMHA/AMHR/PtHA registered minis & Little Hooves 4-H Club
www.ontargetminiatures.com
Current avatar: Vermilyea Farms Exotic Exposure (B/W ex-broodmare now 4-H project: head shot); Aloha Acres Fashion by Magic (driving; also 4-H project); OTM Moonlight Snow (2013 B/W filly with ball); OTM Hit the Jackpot (2013 silver bay/white colt); OTM Sure Shot (2012 bay/white gelding); OTM Calling the Shots (2012 Gray/white filly). Almost half the herd of 14. Photos from summer 2013.

Some horses come and go, and others come, leave hoof prints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same. RIP Max & Target, our special boys.

#23 hobbyhorse23

hobbyhorse23

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,638 posts
  • Interests:Driving my two boys single, pair and tandem

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

Wow. unsure.gif I've owned horses all my life here in Washington State and the first time I ever pulled a Coggins was to take Kody to California in 2007. The Oregon State Fair that year also required one, but none of the fairs here in WA ever did when I was growing up and I can still take my horse into Oregon for shows or sale without any health paperwork at all as the two states have a reciprocal agreement. Getting the brand inspection, Coggins and health certificate for that trip to CA was several hundred dollars- I can't imagine having to get that stuff every 30 days! new_shocked.gif And what is the friggin' POINT?! The health certificate was a joke- the vet glanced at my horse, drew his markings (incorrectly, I might add) and handed me the paperwork without so much as taking his temperature. And as someone else pointed out the horse can get sick two days later but hey! He's got the paperwork so he must be alright. wacko.gif I can't imagine having to take Coggins paperwork with me on a trail ride. no.gif

I can understand needing to get a Coggins as a precaution at least once a year to establish that the population is negative and to protect the horses of others yours may be around, but with my vet charging $75 to set foot on my property plus a minimum $60 exam fee per horse, plus procedural charges, having to call him out multiple additional times a year to see completely healthy horses would break the bank quick. I wouldn't be able to afford to show. no.gif Or apparently to trail ride, or haul to a park, or go in a parade.

I can't imagine! no.gif

Leia

Horses, like people, are never "finished." The work of self-improvement is never done.

Proud partner of Arrowstar's Dakota, Evergreen Miniature Horse Club's 2008 Preliminary Combined Driving and Western Country Pleasure Under Champion

RIP Oak Bay Turbocharged Edition, April 15, 2008 - March 17, 2013

Beloved Partner of Leia and Kody

Taken Too Soon

RIP Spyderman, January 12, 1977 - May 27, 2010
You are (still) missed

#24 muffntuf

muffntuf

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:54 PM

I am going to disagree with Carin's assessment of this not being NAIS initiated. It states in the NAIS Business Plan that EIA testing is the best way to identify and track equine and from what I have read a feasible way to get all states, farms and individuals to come under the NAIS system.

Most states already have Coggins (EIA) testing to transport equine between states, but some states have yet to make it mandatory - to keep their federal program monies for NAIS - they have to have EIA testing as mandatory.

Here is a link to the NAIS Business plan - on page 28 it starts to speak to the Equine Industry.

NAIS Business Plan

Cost of NAIS

To further this USEF is a proponate of NAIS and you will have to have a Smart Card for your horse/pony to be able to eligible for any of their programs - EIA (Coggins testing) is the third item on the smart card.

If you are unaware of NAIS - I suggest you read up - this will effect your farm. It will cost a pretty penny if you have over a few head of horses/ponies.

Unfortunately the Fed Gov sees it as a money bank to promote traceability. Unfortunately it will come to a point where we have to report everytime we take a horse or pony off of our premise to a state or federal database.
Visit Us At Triangle Acres
Home of ASPC:
Big N Rich FMF
Big N Rich I'M JUSTA PLAYBOY TAP
Big N Rich I"M JUSTA HOTTIE TAP
Triangle Acres Standing Ovation
I Like to Move It Move It TAP 2011 HOF MP Halter
AMHR: Sue's Lil' Laptop Angel
Daddly's Lil Dividend TAP
ASPR: Tulip
Lady Slipper
Synergy TAP - First inductee into the ASPR Halter Hall of Fame - 2011

#25 wpsellwood

wpsellwood

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:12 PM

Well according to NM state vet, I had to get neg EVA whichever to go the dang show in Alb this weekend. It was an extra 60 bucks on my colts anything over 12 months old. I almost skipped it.
Firewater Miniatures
Woodstock North Dawns Domino~
2010 World Champion
Beloveds Double Divine One~
2010 Multi World Champion
Firewaters Calisto of Olympus ~
2008 World Reserve Grand Champion amt stallions
H&HS Arielle of Olympus
2009 World Champion AOTE Senior Mare lv2
2008 World Grand Champion AOTE Futurity
Woodstock North Dominos 3 Doors Down ~
World Res Grand Champion
National Champion
<a href="http://firewaters.org" target="_blank">Firewater Miniatures</a>

#26 Suzie

Suzie

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:07 AM

One solution our local saddle club has come up with for the high cost of Coggins yearly is to put on a Coggins clinic (like a rabies clinic). We have a local vet set up at the show grounds on a Saturday early in the year (Usually Feb/March) and he will draw a Coggins on the horses for cost. The saddle club pays the vet his hourly fee and he sends in the blood work. We have done this for years and years. The cost of processing Coggins is $16 per horse. Not horribly unreasonable I think. It is pretty fast and convenient. Our saddle club sells coffee/donuts/ etc to offset the cost of the vet.

If your state implements this requirement, perhaps your local clubs could do the same to help offset the expense to members. Our Coggins clinic is open to anyone in the community to attend.
Silver Belle Farms
AMHA/AMHR Horses and ADMS Miniature Donkeys
Little King Buckeroos I Stand Grand
www.silverbellefarms.com

#27 Jetiki

Jetiki

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Interests:addicted to driving

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:05 AM

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. If the SC bill that was proposed passed, ANY horse coming into the state, would have had to have had a Coggins test within 30 days, a Health Cert within 30 days and a test for strangles within 30 days. This is stuipd, and would have completly eliminated a lot of events in SC. It fortunately didn't pass.

I have no problem with a coggins within a year and health cert, but the above is just too much.

Karen

#28 txminipinto

txminipinto

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

Trace,
Coggins testing is mandatory in the majority of the states for equine sale and transport. It's been mandatory WAY before this NAIS BS ever showed up. I wouldn't assume that a state bringing their standards up to the rest of the nation is the result of NAIS. It's actually the veterinary boards who make these suggestions to the state government. And remember vets have to find a way to make money in this economy and it's good the equine industry to monitor EIA.

As far as NAIS goes.....this program is mainly designed for livestock producers which produce livestock for human consumption. I have read up on it, even registered my farm with it. However, this program will be IMPOSSIBLE to enforce w/o some major changes to it in regards to the equine industry.

QUOTE (muffntuf @ May 12 2009, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going to disagree with Carin's assessment of this not being NAIS initiated. It states in the NAIS Business Plan that EIA testing is the best way to identify and track equine and from what I have read a feasible way to get all states, farms and individuals to come under the NAIS system.

Most states already have Coggins (EIA) testing to transport equine between states, but some states have yet to make it mandatory - to keep their federal program monies for NAIS - they have to have EIA testing as mandatory.

Here is a link to the NAIS Business plan - on page 28 it starts to speak to the Equine Industry.

NAIS Business Plan

Cost of NAIS

To further this USEF is a proponate of NAIS and you will have to have a Smart Card for your horse/pony to be able to eligible for any of their programs - EIA (Coggins testing) is the third item on the smart card.

If you are unaware of NAIS - I suggest you read up - this will effect your farm. It will cost a pretty penny if you have over a few head of horses/ponies.

Unfortunately the Fed Gov sees it as a money bank to promote traceability. Unfortunately it will come to a point where we have to report everytime we take a horse or pony off of our premise to a state or federal database.

Carin Ponder, RVT
Iola, TX

Pondering Oaks Stables - Training, Sales, and Foaling services
Home of Pinto WORLD CHAMPIONS Happy Hooligan OK (HOF/ROM) and CSF Rosie Flores (ROM).
We work hard to make dreams come true!

Classic ASPC and Pinto Ponies

#29 muffntuf

muffntuf

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

Again I will disagree Carin, it is not just for livestock, the Equine Industry is listed as a high on mandatory management in their business plan. EIA testing, if you are following the committee and sub-committee hearings is what the committee believes will help to enforce NAIS within the Equine Industry. It is a first step and all states will be required to have mandatory EIA testing.

Yes many states have long had equine EIA testing as mandatory within their borders, but it is the vehicle NAIS will use to make this feesible.

I do agree they have a long way to go in trying to enforce this as only 35% of farms in the US are registered, even in the livestock industries. But they are working feverishly to try to pull this off.

Reading the original Business Plan is not enough as they have revised it since and have added more cost documentation, etc. just in the last couple months.

They have also started formatting town hall meetings to hear small farms a voice in the concerns over the overall cost of instituting NAIS.

Visit Us At Triangle Acres
Home of ASPC:
Big N Rich FMF
Big N Rich I'M JUSTA PLAYBOY TAP
Big N Rich I"M JUSTA HOTTIE TAP
Triangle Acres Standing Ovation
I Like to Move It Move It TAP 2011 HOF MP Halter
AMHR: Sue's Lil' Laptop Angel
Daddly's Lil Dividend TAP
ASPR: Tulip
Lady Slipper
Synergy TAP - First inductee into the ASPR Halter Hall of Fame - 2011

#30 Margo_C-T

Margo_C-T

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

Suzie, the Coggins 'clinic' sounds like a great idea, and one to emulate, especially now that it appears that EVERYONE who wants to take a horse ANYWHERE will need one.

Brenda(wpsellwood)--what moved you to check w/ the NM state vet? I found nothing about the EVA requirements in the SF show premium; now I wonder how many will arrive w/o having fulfilled those NM requirements, and if they do, what the result will be? The NMLB website states all of them, says they are effective April 1, 2009, says nothing about a grace period, also states that NM STATE requirements must be met first, then the requirements of the particular exhibition.

BTW, I completely agree w/ muffntuff about NAIS; they are clearly 'making use' of the Coggins requirements to serve their own ends. GREAT deal for those who manufacture the tracking devices, though(and who've lobbied FOR this travesty/ invasion of personal rights.) I WON'T be 'registering' my place...oh, HE**, no!

Margo

PS...There is a discussion now within the driving group members within which this info was emailed out; some still seem to believe that the 'new', or at least, newly-stated, requirements, apply only to 'import' horses, but it states 'movement within the state', or words to that effect; to me, that means both in-state AND out-of-state origin...looks like I need to be putting $$ back to pay for Coggins for my minis who NEVER go out-of-state, only trail drive or go to friends' places to drive nowadays.

Late last fall, I gave one of my two AMHA Champion mini geldings-the 22 year old- to a wonderful driving home in MS. Of course, he needed a current Coggins and 30 day health cert...I hauled him to the 'local' vet, about 6 miles from me. The Coggins results, which I had to go back to get, and the health cert, done by the young 'associate' female vet, cost nearly $60-a significant amount, IMO! I knew this office was 'extra' pricey; but time was of the essence, and it is a 75 mile round trip to the 'in-town' vets I've been an 'occasional' client of for years. ) The young associate didn't even take the horse's temp; just glanced at him, and rushed off to visit with some folks who'd just driven up...but I paid 'full price' for the 'health certificate'. And as for presuming that a health cert. means a vet has 'at least seen' the horse--don't bet on it....
Margo

Jess Miniatures-home of "homebred, homemade" Champions!
Near-lifetime resident of New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment--and wouldn't live anywhere else!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users