• 1,722 posts
  • Interests:My family
    Great Friends
    Miniature Horses
    My new love Standard
    Brahma Chickens

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

Besides a good quality hay. yes.gif

I was wondering what type grain and/or pellets and brands do you feed your horses.... eat.gif

What do you feed your mares in foal?
also what do you feed your open mares?
What do you feed your foals to yearlings?
and your stallions?

How much do you feed each horse?

Do you mix your grains/pellets to a certain concentration of each?

Love to hear your experience with finding the best and/or favorite feed formula for all stages of mini growth and maturity.

Maxi'sMinis
Home of:
Little Kings Hot Buckin Baby (Buckeroo Daughter),
RFM Scouts Its 5 OClock Somewhere (Bud),

Galloping G Snow Angel, Maxi's ScoutNSomewheres Wild Angel

Jones Shirley A Toy, Maxine's Rock N Roll Destiny,

Little Kings Roller Derby Queen, Sunny Side Jonibuck Real Hot Rebel

Visit Maxi'sMinis

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 ThreeCFarm

ThreeCFarm

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

I feed Progressive Nutrition's Diet Balancer to everything from broodmares, to babies to performance horses. For those who need more calories, I'll add alfalfa pellets and maybe some of Progressive Nutrition's Envision (calorie booster). I feed the recommended amount of Diet Balancer, then add the alfalfa pellets and/or Envision to maintain the body weight that I want.

Other companies make similar things.
Stephanie www.ThreeCFarm.com

Home of:
OMP Pizazzs Yessiree Bob
2008 AMHA World Top Ten (6th) AOTE Country Pleasure Driving
2011 AMHA World Top Ten (6th) Youth Classic Pleasure Driving 12 & Under
Top Ten in driving the only two times Bob went to World!!

#3 Loess Hills

Loess Hills

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • Interests:Antiques, painting, miniature horses!

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

We like the KISS principle. "Keep It Simple, Stupid"!

After many years of trying different feeds, for the past three years we have used the Progressive Grass Balancer for everyone from young foals to our 26-year old mare. We mix it with 1/4" alfalfa pellets and the amounts vary with each horse. It is a complete balanced feed, easily digestible, containes beet pulp, flax seed, and it's even manufactured not far from us in Iowa. We've talked with the reps on the 800 number with any questions, and although the price has gone up, we are totally satisfied.
Rose & Aaron Peterson

Loess Hills Miniature Horses

Circle S Aces High - TopTen & PtHA World Champion producer
Cedar Croft Blaze N Bobbi Sox - AMHR National Champion and World Champion producer

"Behind every success is effort........behind every effort is passion........behind every passion is someone with the courage to try"

#4 Leeana

Leeana

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts
  • Interests:AMHR/ASPC/ASPR

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

I feed Strategy, a 14% protein 6% fat pelleted feed to the show horses. Broodmares and all outside horses are on a 16% sweet feed that is made by Country Acres that i get at my purina dealer.

What do you feed your mares in foal? 16% Sweet Feed + Mare Plus mineral, then i toss the extra beet pulp that is left over from the show horses out to the broodmares.

also what do you feed your open mares? Open mares are out with broodmares and east the same above.

What do you feed your foals to yearlings? They are out with the broodmares, so 16% sweet feed + beet pulp.

and your stallions? 16% sweet feed....i will toss a handful of beet pulp into them if i have extra left.

How much do you feed each horse? Most maintance horses in the barn get 2cups of the sweet feed (stallions), then the mares i just toss two scoops of grain out to them

Do you mix your grains/pellets to a certain concentration of each? Show horses in the barn get Strategy + Beet Pulp + Loose Minerals / Biotin suppliment AM and PM..then at noon they get dry strategy pellets.

Green Creek Pony Farm

American Shetland Ponies

The Stallions
* Graham's The Gambler ASPC/AMHR (Graham's Classic Tango x Red Rock Bullseye Taffy)
* Graham's Black Diamond ASPC (Graham's Classic Tango x Graham's Queen Ann)
* SMHC's Legendmaker AMHR/ASPC (Michigans Just Dew It x RL Peppers Carmel Twist)
* Graham's Santana ASPC *Congress Champion
Foals arriving 2012

#5 ~Lisa~

~Lisa~

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

So many different ways to feed there is no one right way. I feed alfalfa/orchard hay it is about 50/50. I also feed soaked beet pulp, whole oats to everyone. The hard keepers or nursing mare and young foals get Nutrena youth added to their ration.

It works for me everyone came out of winter in great shape and I like the way the look.

Lisa
Ruff N Tuff Minis and Shetlands

Ruff N Tuff Minis and Shetlands

#6 Jill

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,299 posts
  • Interests:horses, public speaking, investing & money management (my career), loving our dogs, cooking, fishkeeping, reading (2-4 books a month), news junkie & US politics

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

We used to feed everyone a complete senior pellet (18% fiber / 14% protein / 5%) fat and good grass hay. The amount of pellets to hay varied but as a baseline, horses got about 50% of the feed from the pellets and 50% from the hay. However, we had trouble where a lot of our horses were just getting too fat on the senior feed. So now, many of our horses are getting a low carb pellet (20% fiber / 12% protein / 6% fat). They are no longer too fat and those that did have cresty necks no longer do. We do use the pellets as part of the hay. We have not used sweet feed in MANY years.

What do you feed your mares in foal? Complete senior feed pellet and orchard grass hay

also what do you feed your open mares? Low carb / low starch pellet and orchard grass hay

What do you feed your foals to yearlings? Complete senior feed pellet and orchard grass hay

and your stallions? kind of a mix of the two pellets and orchard grass hay

Whinny For Me Farm
Jill O'Roark & Harvey Hamilton, Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit our website at www.whinny4me.com to see our prestigiously bred champions and treasured companions including our beloved NATIONAL winning stallions:

Erica's Echos of My Destiny HOF, 33" Smokey Silver Black: Nat'l Champion / Res. Nat'l GRAND Champion / HOF
Erica's Gone and DunIT, 31" Smokey Grey Grullo: Nat'l Top Ten / AMHA Honor Roll / Multi Grand Champion --and--
Erica's Can't Take My Eyes Off You, 29" Black: 3x Nat'l Champion / Supreme Champion / Nat'l All Star Champion

#7 Becky

Becky

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,960 posts
  • Interests:Miniature horses, of course!

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

I feed no grain here.

From foals to show horses, they are all on Progressive Nutritions' Alfalfa Formula Diet Balancer. It's a protein/vitamin/mineral supplement designed to be fed with alfalfa hay. I use 1/4" alfalfa pellets mostly as the alfalfa source. All get some grass hay daily. The show horses also get dry beet pulp shreds. The Diet Balancer is generally fed in an amount averaging 8 ozs per day. I use the alfalfa pellets to adjust weight up or down. The beet pulp to tweak the show horses.
Redrock Miniature Horse Farm
Superior Splashed White and Tobiano Miniature Horses

Fiesta Acres Mystique - World Champion and Top 10 exotic and exciting jet black Jr Stallion

Catca Woods Duke Of Earl - Palomino tobiano/sabino pinto son of Lucky Four Rangers Imperial out of a daughter of Little Kings Phantom Buckeroo

Located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

#8 Maxi'sMinis

Maxi'sMinis

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts
  • Interests:My family
    Great Friends
    Miniature Horses
    My new love Standard
    Brahma Chickens

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

Excellent information.

Jill what brand feed do you use? Very interested in your low carb pellet!

Maxi'sMinis
Home of:
Little Kings Hot Buckin Baby (Buckeroo Daughter),
RFM Scouts Its 5 OClock Somewhere (Bud),

Galloping G Snow Angel, Maxi's ScoutNSomewheres Wild Angel

Jones Shirley A Toy, Maxine's Rock N Roll Destiny,

Little Kings Roller Derby Queen, Sunny Side Jonibuck Real Hot Rebel

Visit Maxi'sMinis

#9 Jill

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,299 posts
  • Interests:horses, public speaking, investing & money management (my career), loving our dogs, cooking, fishkeeping, reading (2-4 books a month), news junkie & US politics

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

It's actually from our local co-op (Culpeper Farmer's Co-op). It's formulated by Kentucky Equine Research and made at feed mills around the nation. Some of the country's most valuable hroses are fed KER feeds and we've been very happy with them. The prices are also very good compared to Purina, and I actually like what I read on these KER feeds better as well. Here is a chart about the feeds we can get at the Culpeper Farmer's Co-op:

Whinny For Me Farm
Jill O'Roark & Harvey Hamilton, Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit our website at www.whinny4me.com to see our prestigiously bred champions and treasured companions including our beloved NATIONAL winning stallions:

Erica's Echos of My Destiny HOF, 33" Smokey Silver Black: Nat'l Champion / Res. Nat'l GRAND Champion / HOF
Erica's Gone and DunIT, 31" Smokey Grey Grullo: Nat'l Top Ten / AMHA Honor Roll / Multi Grand Champion --and--
Erica's Can't Take My Eyes Off You, 29" Black: 3x Nat'l Champion / Supreme Champion / Nat'l All Star Champion

#10 Orkie

Orkie

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

We feed Sports Formula by Blue Seal. It's an 11% protein, high fat pelleted grain and alfalfa/grass mix hay. All my horses get it from stallions, open mares to broodmares.

Forgot to mention that I also give my horses Dac products and they are all on the Orange for a vit./min. supplement and they also get the dac oil for their hair coat. It gives them an extra shine in the show pen.
Quarter Acres Minis

Home of:
Century Farms Sparksafire ~ black son of Circle S Bill Bailey

Bepettons Sirs Majestic ~ bay pinto homozygous son of Cross Country Call Me Sir

www.quarteracresminis.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users