44 replies to this topic

#1 nbark

nbark

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:34 PM

Hi everyone,

Some of you know about Maggie my mini therapy horse. If not, Maggie has been a therapy horse since the age of eight months and has been named the mascot for the Massachusetts North Shore Arthritis Foundation for her contributions walking to raise money for arthritis. She has also been asked to help kick off the fundraising campaign for the Beverly School for the Deaf here in Mass and has been approached about visiting a class of students who are studying to become recreational directors at nursing facilities. Maggie makes about 15 visits a year and walks for various charitable organizations at NO CHARGE. That is the key here. There are places that donate a gas card to help with the cost of gas but this is not required or asked for.

My question to all of you is: How many mini owners would be willing to be part of a National Miniature Therapy Horse Program where you would receive certification of such and be listed so that a facility could call and get your name and number to make a visit.

I am asking this because I have done some research and there is currently no certification that I am aware of for miniature therapy horses and would like to start this if there is enough interest.

I am also trying to get the Veterans groups interested in using a miniature therapy horse to help wounded vets get some feelings of independence, freedom, etc by learning to care for and drive a mini.

I would really appreciate your opinions, good or bad on the subject. For any of you with a dwarf, this is a wonderful community service that your little one could do. It is all about hugs and kisses.

Thanks
Nancy

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Sixstardanes

Sixstardanes

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Drawing/Painting/Creating, Great Danes & Equines of all sizes

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

I'd be interested.

Our mini, Saber, is a certified (ID card carrying & liability insured) Therapy Animal through the organization
Love On A Leash.

They have at least a handful of other miniature horses in their organization throughout the United States.
I recall seeing a few listed in the membership booklet from last year.
Rachel C.
Keeper/caretaker of 4 cockatiels ,3 Great Danes, 1 Chi/Terrier X, 6 housecats & Saber, a registered Therapy Mini stallion a.k.a. Dodger Billieu 32" AMHA/AMHR

#3 SaddleTrail

SaddleTrail

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

I would be interested, very much so.
I need to know what training my mini would need to have to become a therapy mini as well.
Proud Mama of Shot Gun a Mini Stud!

Proud new Mama of Jasper Dee Donkey!

A smile is your passport into the hearts of others.

#4 Lil' Horse Lover

Lil' Horse Lover

Totally Addicted

• Youth Member
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:I love my minis! I have two geldings named Alba Hursts Quite the Ruckus ("Ruckus") and "Spirit". And one filly named "Sunny".

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

I would be interested, that'd be awesome! smile.gif
In Loving memory of "Potentos Smoke" a.k.a "Smokie" ~Black~29" (died at 10 months old) 2/14/05-12/23/05.
Spirit~Chesnut pinto~27"(4 yr. old gelding)
Alba Hursts Quite the Ruckus~Chestnut pinto~28"(3 yr. gelding)
Sunny~Palomino~35.5" (2 yr. old filly)

ThreeMinute Boogie~Dun QH~(28 yr. old rescue gelding)
Leos Flaxen Red~Sorrel w/flaxen mane/tail Paint (solid)~ (5 yr. old gelding)

#5 albahurst

albahurst

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:32 PM

Absolutely- keep us posted!
Peggy
Home of:
Beloved champion miniature horses

www.albahurst.com

#6 Brandi*

Brandi*

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • Interests:I love anything to do with animals. I enjoy hiking and I really like going to the movies:) My husband and I are both musicians so we pass a lot of time playing the piano and guitar.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:40 PM

I would be interested too yes.gif I am currently horse-less but I do plan on getting another one eventually for therapy work.
Brandi

#7 LAZY J MINIS

LAZY J MINIS

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

I WOULD BE INTERESTED ALSO. I HAVE A HANDICAPED MARE WHO WOULD BE WONDERFUL AT IT. KEEP ME INFORMED

#8 LowriseMinis

LowriseMinis

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Interests:Minis, rabbits

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

I would be interested, too!
"Gardens are not made by sitting in the shade." -Rudyard Kipling

#9 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,047 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

Great idea! Keep us posted!
Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#10 targetsmom

targetsmom

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

I would be interested too. Thanks for taking the initiative!

Mary

On Target Miniatures, AMHA/AMHR/PtHA registered minis & Little Hooves 4-H Club
www.ontargetminiatures.com
Current avatar: Vermilyea Farms Exotic Exposure (B/W ex-broodmare now 4-H project: head shot); Aloha Acres Fashion by Magic (driving; also 4-H project); OTM Moonlight Snow (2013 B/W filly with ball); OTM Hit the Jackpot (2013 silver bay/white colt); OTM Sure Shot (2012 bay/white gelding); OTM Calling the Shots (2012 Gray/white filly). Almost half the herd of 14. Photos from summer 2013.

Some horses come and go, and others come, leave hoof prints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same. RIP Max & Target, our special boys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users