Photo

Houghton versus Jerald Cart

11 replies to this topic

#1 Genie

Genie

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • Interests:We are breeders of small miniature horses, under 34 but preferably 30 inches and under. We breed purebred Papillons.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

Any difference.....? and if buying used, what would be a fair price in good condition?
Jim and Gene Baynham

NIxons Hill Farms

Home of Timber Ridges Dazzle, Kobecks Chief O Hatchee, Piddy Paddocks Glori Halylooyla, Grosshills Chief Crazyhorse,Nixons Hill Hats Off To Larry, Nixons Hill Johnny Be Good

Our goal is to be "TINY" and the perfect example of a full sized horse in miniature.

http://www.freewebs....iniaturehorses/

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 ruffian

ruffian

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:39 AM

Houghton is out of business, so new parts, etc are not available from the factory.

IMO Houghton had a better balance and ride than Jerald. I've turned down offers for $2,000 for my Houghton with black metal, and $3,500 for my chromed one.

I know that Double Diamond is building carts that are similar to Houghtons but I've never ridden in one. I think they are starting around $900+
Limited Edition Farm

HOME OF
ERL's Zeus Lightning Bolt
2009 AMHA WORLD GRAND CHAMPION SENIOR STALLION
Eastern Championships Grand Champion Senior Stallion.

LDS Smooth Operator
2011 AMHR NATIONAL YEARLING STALLION, 30 and under

LDS The Buckeroo Kid
[b]2011 AMHR NATIONAL Top Ten CP Driving Over -

#3 Jill

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,310 posts
  • Interests:horses, public speaking, investing & money management (my career), loving our dogs, cooking, fishkeeping, reading (2-4 books a month), news junkie & US politics

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:48 AM

I chose my Houghton over a Jerald (comparably priced at the time) when I bought my show cart in 2001. I love (LOVE) it.

Now... I don't know what I'd do since Houghton is out of business and you may need replacements for parts.

Probably, I'd look at Graber and Double Diamond's carts, as well as considering a used Houghton or Jerald.

Good luck!
Whinny For Me Farm
Jill O'Roark & Harvey Hamilton, Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit our website at www.whinny4me.com to see our prestigiously bred champions and treasured companions including our beloved NATIONAL winning stallions:

Erica's Echos of My Destiny HOF, 33" Smokey Silver Black: Nat'l Champion / Res. Nat'l GRAND Champion / HOF
Erica's Gone and DunIT, 31" Smokey Grey Grullo: Nat'l Top Ten / AMHA Honor Roll / Multi Grand Champion --and--
Erica's Can't Take My Eyes Off You, 29" Black: 3x Nat'l Champion / Supreme Champion / Nat'l All Star Champion

PS: A right turn ahead seems likely!

#4 Connie Ballard

Connie Ballard

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:16 AM

Tim and I were at the Houghton auction when the closed and sold out. Jerald had already bought vast majority of everything before the auction so there was very little left of any value at the sale. We talked with the new owners and have seen them advertise "Houghton by Jerald"...carts. I havent needed anything for my carts, but am thinking we could contact Jerald for replacement parts. There are a few things that are unique to the Houghtons so a Graber or Double Diamond cart part may not fit...depending on what you need.
I sold Houghton carts until about a year before they closed. Gary from Double Diamond and I were their 2 top sales people.
It was sad to see that company go down hill due to management problems. I loved the quality and balance the Houghton carts had.
The two Jerald owners that we talked to at length said people can contact them for parts on Houghtons.

Cherokee Stables www.cherokeestables.com

#5 Connie Ballard

Connie Ballard

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:25 AM

Found this on Jerald Sulky's website: Jerald Sulky
Cherokee Stables www.cherokeestables.com

#6 targetsmom

targetsmom

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:41 AM

What about prices on used carts??? I will be looking at a slightly used Jerald cart this weekend. (Like I need another cart, as we already have 3 of various types).

Mary

On Target Miniatures, AMHA/AMHR/PtHA registered minis & Little Hooves 4-H Club
www.ontargetminiatures.com
Current avatar: Vermilyea Farms Exotic Exposure (B/W ex-broodmare now 4-H project: head shot); Aloha Acres Fashion by Magic (driving; also 4-H project); OTM Moonlight Snow (2013 B/W filly with ball); OTM Hit the Jackpot (2013 silver bay/white colt); OTM Sure Shot (2012 bay/white gelding); OTM Calling the Shots (2012 Gray/white filly). Almost half the herd of 14. Photos from summer 2013.

Some horses come and go, and others come, leave hoof prints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same. RIP Max & Target, our special boys.

#7 Genie

Genie

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • Interests:We are breeders of small miniature horses, under 34 but preferably 30 inches and under. We breed purebred Papillons.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

If in good condition are people thinking around 1000.00 would be fair?
Jim and Gene Baynham

NIxons Hill Farms

Home of Timber Ridges Dazzle, Kobecks Chief O Hatchee, Piddy Paddocks Glori Halylooyla, Grosshills Chief Crazyhorse,Nixons Hill Hats Off To Larry, Nixons Hill Johnny Be Good

Our goal is to be "TINY" and the perfect example of a full sized horse in miniature.

#8 Minxiesmom

Minxiesmom

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

Around here (Southern Oregon) $1000 would be a real deal if it is in nice shape. Used Jeralds have been selling from 1400-1800 around here, lately. These have had all the bells and whistles...Brass hubs, dashes, natural finish. Look carefully at the wheels. I have noticed many of them have rust that you can't get out and new wheels are spendy.
Diane in OR
Diane Dorigan
Medford, OR
diandtom@live.com

Home of
Country Rds Hughstons Rio Grande, AMHA/AMHR/PtHA gelding
2012 AMHA Western Regional Champion AOTE Sr Gelding; Champion Amateur Sr. Gelding, Lvl 1
2012 AMHA Western Regional Reserve Champion Multi-Color Stallions/Geldings
2012 NWMHC Hi Point AOTE Sr Gelding; Amateur Sr Gelding Lvl 1; Open Sr Gelding 32-34; Multi-Color Stallions/Geldings
2012 NWMHC Over All Hi Point Gelding.
2012 AMHA Honor Roll-Amateur Sr. Gelding, Lvl 1 - 2nd place; AOTE Lvl 1- Sr. Gelding - 3rd place.

#9 Katiean

Katiean

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts
  • Interests:Driving and training Miniature Horses, Show Rabbits and the out doors in general

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

I have seen used Houton and Jerald carts here in Nevada as low as $600 and they go up from there. However when you have the $600 carts you have to jump on them fast or they are gone.
Raising AMHA/AMHR Registered horses. Kathy and Jessica (aunt and niece team)

#10 Genie

Genie

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the tip on the wheels.

I'll look them over.
Jim and Gene Baynham

NIxons Hill Farms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users