One Handed - Hoof Nippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speckles

Reaction score
Hi all. I am looking at investing in some new hoof nippers. I remember someone on here talking about a new style, easy to use one handed and easy for women. They had a spring in them I think. I know they were quite expensive. I was wondering if anyone on the Board owned a pair and/or could tell me what they were like to use. I am also trying to find where to buy a pair online, if they get the thumbs up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sandra

Are you maybe thinking of the new Barracuda Nippers? I am picking mine up at the manufacturer on Friday as they are only 2 hours from me. That's the same city I buy my dog food so was glad I could meet with them. Here is a web link.

http://www.hooftrimmer.org

They look really good but honestly I have always used a good pair of garden secateurs- or even a curved pair of goat shears- I do have a pair of nippers - actually two pairs a big and a small but I do not get nearly as good a result as I do with my secateurs.

That looks awesome!!!!!!! I just sent an email to find out about how to purchase
default_smile.png

They look very interesting, but there's no price indication anywhere. That's really irritating on any website. How much are they? What are shipping costs? And "how to order" should be right there too. I'm sorry, but I think these things should be right up front on the stie, as on any site with for sale stuff. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to use a spring for mine. I will try to remember where I got it. Was a cheap little thing you put on with these little castration rubber rings. I have GE nippers and it went on really well. I do think that some of the thicker handled nippers might not work with them though.

Not where I got mine. I think I paid $4.

http://www.ken-davis.com/shop.php?lnk_cate...41951c289c9b274

Here is a better picture

http://www.centaurforge.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WBSP

I bought mine a long time ago, and prices have gone up on everything. So probably won't get my $4 price now.
default_no.gif

Frank bought a pair. He found that these nippers were easier to squeeze, but, for him anyway, still required 2 hands because of the spread of the handles.

Charlotte

I ordered a pair two weeks ago.....and I'm STILL patiently waiting for them as my minis hooves grow longer & longer.
default_sad.png
I wanted to wait to trim them....so I could use the new nippers. They are not cheap! But, will be a godsend for me, if they are as easy to use as people who have them say they are!
default_yes.gif

I will be interested to see what you all who have gotten these think of them upon actual use on a variety of horses. I went to the website, and the first thing that struck me about the photo is that they are in a MAN's hand, close up to the blades, and yet the hand is almost fully 'extended', if you know what I mean. If you noticed, Charlotte even said her husband needs to use TWO hands on his. It is all about the length of the lever,and the spread of the ENDS of the handles, even WITH the spring-loading...I have small hands-and an old lady's grip strength(meaning: not much!)-- there is no way on EARTH that I could successfully trim ANY horse's hoof one-handed with that thing-and honestly, I suspect that will be true of almost ANY woman. I will be interested to hear whether the design actually makes TWO-handed trimming truly easier; that 'offset' arrangement, IMO, may make it harder to JUDGE how you are cutting, even if the physical effort is less...a whole 'nother issue. It may be fine once you get used to it...

Margo

Hi all, thanks for all your comments. I have emailed to find out more too. Is there anyone else who is using them and can compare them to standard nippers.

I know a lot of you have been recommending different nippers - I would love to hear which ones you really recommend - GE etc, and if possible where you got them.

I appreciate all the help. This board is truly wonderful!!!

Sandra

We chose them due to recommendations we read about the farrier couple that was at worlds who use these exclusively, and after emailing back and forth with Brenda at the company. She was very helpful and sweet. She did tell me that they are receiving an overwhelming response for orders and are working hard to keep up. I was under the impression that the web site is quite new and they will be working more on it.

We have 27 equine total ranging from dwarf to 17hh to mule so are excited to see if it works well on all. My hands are too small to reach a regular nippers, even in the smaller ones, when the nippers are in the open position. I just can't get my hand around the handles. My hubby is a trained farrier and the older he gets (plus after back surgery and a hand injury) the less horses he can do in one day. We're hoping these nippers will help him. Another big reason for choosing these nippers are the dwarfs. Their hoofs are so tiny and usually very hard. These nippers clip a bit different then standard nippers and they are more of a straight cut. The tip size and shape should be helpful with the wee ones, especially when having to do aggressive trimming for crooked little legs. It's so easy to nick them and make them bleed. The angle of these tips is supposed to have that be a bit less likely.

I really do love my G.E.'s they are in the upper price range and good quality. They have lasted me two years but I am a certified trimmer and they get alot of abuse. I like my shorter handles 14", or pony nippers. I like the fine cut as well. When I started out I used the spring with them, but my hands are strong enough now I can use them one handed without. I have very small hands. I usually wear a ladies size small glove.

I like those Baracudas that you showed. they are too neat. What a cool design.

Emma

http://www.centaurforge.com/prodinfo.asp?number=14GERT

I, too, ordered a pair of the Barracuda Trimmer. I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival. The price was $120 through Innovative Concepts, LLC.

Pam C.

I, too, ordered a pair of the Barracuda Trimmer. I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival. The price was $120 through Innovative Concepts, LLC.

Pam C.
:DOH! And I paid $165.99 for them thru Everything 4equine.com!

How do you get to Innovative Concepts, LLC website? I tried googling, and came up with a lot of sites under that name....but none had anything to do with horses.
default_rolleyes.gif

Pam C.

How do you get to Innovative Concepts, LLC website? I tried googling, and came up with a lot of sites under that name....but none had anything to do with horses.
default_rolleyes.gif

Somehow I found the email address for Brenda Schneller, Director of Marketing for Innovative Concepts. I emailed her direct and got the price. Here's her email [email protected]

Pam C.

Pam C.

default_rolleyes.gif

Dona, it's the same website that I posted at the beginning of this link. www.hooftrimmer.org

Oh my goodness those sound amazing!

Has anyone actually used them yet that has ordered them and can give a 'product review'? They look great!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

The nippers i have right now, you have to be hulk hogan to work them (and i am NOT hulk hogan!). I will have to invest in a set of these when my paycheck comes in next week
default_smile.png

Thank you for the link, they look like they will save a ton of time (and back pain!!)
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif

After I was outbid on them on the CMHR fundraising auction, I inquired about them directly from the web site. I ordered myself a pair through them. The cost was $120 shipping included and I also ordered an additional replacement blade at the same time, so I wouldn't have to pay additional shipping charges. So the cost of the nippers and blade came to a grand total of $140 including shipping. She tols me there would be approximately a 2 week wait period. It has been 2 weeks now, so hopefully they will be arriving SOON! The trimmer is approximately 10.5" long they told me. On the down side, I have just finished trimming all my horses feet, so won't be due for another trim now for awhile yet, so I won't be able to report back to quickly.

After I was outbid on them on the CMHR fundraising auction, I inquired about them directly from the web site. I ordered myself a pair through them. The cost was $120 shipping included and I also ordered an additional replacement blade at the same time, so I wouldn't have to pay additional shipping charges. So the cost of the nippers and blade came to a grand total of $140 including shipping. She tols me there would be approximately a 2 week wait period. It has been 2 weeks now, so hopefully they will be arriving SOON! The trimmer is approximately 10.5" long they told me. On the down side, I have just finished trimming all my horses feet, so won't be due for another trim now for awhile yet, so I won't be able to report back to quickly.
I did the same thing, was bidding on them & lost out....so I went directly to the site, read the testimonials, etc...but couldn't find any pricing or a page where I could order them.
default_no.gif
Figured I must be looking at a site that just "TOLD" about them. So, I googled Barracuda Hoof Nippers & found distributors for them. Now, I'm upset I've paid that much MORE for them than I needed to! :DOH! It's been over two weeks....so I probably can't cancel now...they are probably on their way here. Live & learn.
default_rolleyes.gif

Back