What can you give a baby goat for Diarrhea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifflunn

Reaction score
Have a very young maybe a day or two old kid- I am feeding kid milk replacer- have double checked that I am making it correctly- he did have a reasonably firm poop and did have some Diarrhea in between the last feeding and this one- it has been 1/2 hr since we finished the last bottle and none yet- but is there something I can give him incase?

Thanks

Goats don't always do very well on milk replacer. If I don't have goat's milk available I use whole milk from the grocery store. They seem to do better on that.

Of course changing the diet quickly over to something they're not used to can cause diarrhea too.

Here is a receipe:

1 gal. whole milk (take out 4 cups & put to side) pour in

1 can evaporated milk

1 cup buttermilk

then finish with the set aside milk. I usually make up a bottle or 2, then finish putting the rest of the milk in.

This is the fat they need in the milk & have never had diarrhea with it. The buttermilk takes care of that. I always use this for my bottle babies. I make sure they get Clostrum first, then start on this. Good Luck.

I always use a regular baby bottle.

How much powder to water are you giving?

We feed ours lams milk. They get half of the cup to a pop bottle of water. Seldom do they get the runs. IF they do then they get a little pepto or better yet live cultured yogert in there milk.

I am not infront of the jar but it is 500ml hot water - 1 round cup of powder stir with whisk for 3 minuets then add 400mls of cold water whisk for 1 minuet

It suggests 1-2 days old 3-4 250mls as a minimum

I think the next one is 3-5 days old 300mls 3 times daily but I could be off-

Do they always take that much in a feeding he is only taken 200 mls max and still is alternating between runs and semi solid poops

Last edited by a moderator:
Probios is best to stop diareaha. How big is the the goat? My fainters and pygmies down 8 oz bottle 4 to 5 time a day. If he is very young under a week they should have many freguent feedings of 2-4 oz every two hours. I know goats all to well I own 30 and just finished baby goat season.

I am guessing he is under 2 days- I think he is suppose to be a big goat not a dwarf- but he is tiny maybe 3-4 lbs- I could be off on the weight- I did notice this morning he seems to have unfolded a lot, much more active than yesturday and vocal. He kind of dozes wide eyed awake on his feet, then wakes up and walks around he wil lay down- O.K. still a tad shaky on the back feet.

I only feed my bigger & smaller baby goats 3 times a day, but they take a whole 6-8 oz. bottle. You need to get some ProBiotics in him & if you use the receipe I gave you that is what the buttermilk is for. Cheaper than then the formula. Did he get some Clostrum to begin with, that is very important. I think you can give them to much & would cause diarrhea to. Make sure he stays warm to. If he needs a boost electrolytes might need to be given for a short.

Thank you for your help we have used a combination of things - number one thing was he really isn't sucking but we are syringing him his food every 2 hours which has made a difference, we will keep trying the bottle until he gets it down. Hopefully we will have some pictures to post of the little snowball in a a couple of days.

Tiffany

Back