Here we can learn about Splash!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauralee

Reaction score
I'm going to get several posts started, in order to demonstrate the various pinto patterns to the folks that are showing a desire to learn. Please help me by posting pictures that depict typical SPLASH OVERO.

I am trying to avoid examples where it is obvious that the horse carries more than one pattern, in hopes that it can be demonstrated what each pattern looks like. Lets keep this simple so that other folks can learn from it. Please do not complicate this thread with every color exception to the rule. That will only confuse newbies more.

So what makes a SPLASH OVERO? (IN GENERAL)

Splash puts white on the face.

Splash gives the horse blue eyes.

Splash patterns are bottom heavy.

Splash patterns run in horizontal fashion, as if the horse had been dipped into a bucket of paint.

Splash leaves color along the topline.

Splash patterns are non-symmetrical, generally heavier on one side of the body or face, and heavy at the bottom.

Splash has crisp borders along the edge of the pattern.

Splash is very often responsible for the blue eyes and facial markings on an otherwise solid horse.

Here are some examples of Splash Overo:

truth.jpg

DreaminOutLoud.jpg

BlueEyedFaith.jpg

I need more examples of Splash Overo!

IMAG0002.JPG

This is Cross Country's Spirit in the Sky, a B Gelding. He has 2 crystal blue eyes, and a wide blaze that covers more than half his face. He also has 2 socks in the front, but no other white.

Is he a splash?

This is a maximum splash black - he has a tiny spot of black inside one ear - I think its a fingerprint from whoever dipped him in the white paint! :bgrin He has blue eyes and pink skin.

MountainManA.jpg

Ha ha ha Lori, that's funny! God must have held on to his ear while he dipped him into the paint bucket! Too cute!

Here is a mare. I dont really know what she is, nor do the color people on her but the best they can guess is splash. She only has color on her head.

suni2.jpg

Not sure about this boy???

emblem5.jpg

jewel.jpg

Here is our splash pony "P". Unfortunately, we don't have very good photos of her right now. She has 3 white socks, a mark on the knee of her solid leg, a belly splash, a bald face (with a dark circle around one eye) and one blue eye.

103203796.jpg

103203849.jpg

103203820.jpg

maybe I can get some better ones of her today.

Here are some of my splashed white patterned horses. White can cross the back in more extensively marked ones.

Redrock Flashtacular

2-07FlashtacularWorldShow1.jpg

Redrock Solar Flare

2-07SolarFlare3.jpg

East Acres Stary Night

2-07StaryNight1.jpg

Redrock Ima Flashy Showgirl

ShowgirlSept3.jpg

Redrock Flashout, maximum white splashed white

FlashOutnew6.jpg

Robin's "LOTTO" is an excellent example of SPLASH!
default_yes.gif
:

website1002022.jpg

website1002021.jpg

(I do have Robin's permission to post his photo here.)
default_yes.gif
:

DSC01504madison1.jpg

Here is our 3 year mare Madison...blue eyes, white on face...almost all white except for her head and, a spot on her back...thinking she fits splash - but, could be wrong.

lis

Dickensdrive.jpg

I have wondered if our herd sire is splash...his white comes up and around his neck and runs under his entire jaw and has a white blaze..when shaved his lines are very crisp...dunno? what do you think?

lis

Robin's Lotto is just an excellent example...you can stop right there
default_yes.gif
:

Lisa I think both those horses are Tobiano + Splash.

I especially like your driving stallion- he has so much dynamism!!!

This is "Voodoo". His dam is a black splash patterned mare, and his sire is a frame and sabino patterned stallion.

splash1a.jpg
splash1b.jpg

Here is a maximum splash classic champagne filly, HHH Champagne Nightcap, I had born here two years ago.

Susan O.

nightcaptrot12days.jpg

WOW :new_shocked: I have learned a lot today.

I think my blue eyed stallion carries splash. I am getting him tested for LWO

His dam had a star and his sire was solid.

Franky22.jpg

this colt is out of him, he has BLUE eyes too. To me he looks splash.

rodeo2.jpg

Splash is probably one of the most misunderstood patterns.

Splash is an incomplete dominant and needs two copies for the full pattern expression. The first two pictures in Lauralee's first post are examples of homozygous Splash expression. The third photo in Lauralee's post is heterozygous Splash.

Ruffian's horse appears to be Splash + Sabino. The spot of color within the blaze on the end of the nose is a sabino characteristic.

MBennettp's horse has Splash + Sabino face white also. The top is very even and balanced in shape - that's an indicator of Sabino particularly the manner in which it has also stayed neatly between the eyes. The falling off the side of the nose as it goes down the face is a Splash characteristic. The dark spot in the snip is again an indicator of sabino trying to keep the nose dark and evenly marked.

MiLo Mini's horse is more than just Splash. Splash alone will not create a completely white horse - it needs help from another pattern - Sabino - to accomplish that. Likely the cause of the extensive white is primarily sabino - the Splash in this case is just secondary and causing the eye to become blue but not really contributing to the overall pattern.

And or cource Getitia's boy is homozygous Splash + Sabino - sabino is giving the rough edge effect to his Splash markings (Splash alone will have crisp, clean edges).

Ashley's - first one is Tobiano with Splash and sabino. Second is tobiano plus Splash - the splash could very well be homozygous given the shape and placement of the remaining body markings.

ForMyACD's horse is a heterozygous Splash.

Becky's first 4 pictures are all homozygous Splash. In big horses the dark front end is more rare but it is a common expression of the pattern in miniatures. Again, the max white isn't just Splash as homozygous Splash won't create an entirely white horse - it needs help from sabino for that to happen.

Meavey's horse is a low expression homozygous Splash. Might have sabino too as some of the edges to the spots appear a bit fuzzy.

Lotto is a beautiful example of Splash but again - he is not just Splash as Sabino is also present giving him that big exaggerated mustache and edges on his spots that are not crisp.

Greenwoodminis - first photo looks to be tobiano + Splash - could be sabino also. Your stallion is a tobiano + sabino - could also have Splash but hard to tell from that photo.

Mona's Voodoo is homozygous Splash + Sabino. When homozygous Splash expresses in this manner it can be mistaken for tobiano. Of course with a Frame parent he could also be frame - frame could very easily hide under those markings.

Susan does your little one have a tobiano parent? That's a pretty normal expression for tobiano + homozygous Splash.

Vern B - Your stallion's face white is pretty ambiguous - the blue eyes indicate Frame for Splash but the face white is very even and balanced and the manner in which it goes down to the lips is an indication of Sabino. It is possible to have all 3 patterns be present and have this little white - not common but it can and does happen. The colt appears to be Tobiano + Splash + Sabino.

Even horses that appear to be just Splash can also have Sabino and/or Frame. Sabino can expressed extremely minimally - as little as a pink spot on a colts dangly with no other white markings and can possibly express as minimally as a small roany patch. Splash has been known to express as minimally as a faint snip.

It is very, very rare to find a miniature who is one pattern alone. Minis have the ability to restrict expression of all patterns more than big horses do so. While the same rules for patterns apply to minis we also need to remember that a mini who appears solid or has very little white may really be restricting the expression of a pattern beyond the "normal" expected range of expression.

IMAG0002.JPG

This is Cross Country's Spirit in the Sky, a B Gelding. He has 2 crystal blue eyes, and a wide blaze that covers more than half his face. He also has 2 socks in the front, but no other white.

Is he a splash?
Wow my Dream gelding . Planning on selling him TEHE . He is a STUNNER
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Thanks Lauralee, I sure like my blue eyed stallion
default_yes.gif
:

Lewella, That is Great information! :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back