Blue Eyed minis vs Brown eyed minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
We would like to know how many folks prefer blue eye minis over brown eye minis? Also does the judges look at he brown eyed better then the blue eyed minis in shows?For breeding do you prefer blue eyed or brown eyed minis.We are thinking of getting a blue eyed pinto somedayWe know that comformation, bloodlines and all of the above is coming to play in your decisions.Also please give the reasons why you prefer one over the other.Also for those who have minis farms, whice one sells better the blue eyed or brown eyed minis?Also you can show pictures of reason as well.
default_smile.png

thanks melissa

Last edited by a moderator:
I own both blue-eyed and brown-eyed minis. No preference here really. I do see alot of ads asking for blue-eyed minis. Our black and white pinto filly with blue eyes (in my avatar) does VERY well in color classes but i do not know if any of it has to do with her blue eyes though they really stand out! jennifer :saludando:

avatar: Pondlakes Simply Irresistable CJS

I have both as well and I love them both the same. Each is charming in his own way. The brown eyed boy has a wonderfully calm looking eye and a teddy bear appearance. The blue eyed boy is striking and his eyes are very unique. I love blue eyed horses, but then I also love Pintos with white faces!
default_wink.png
:

I have never owned a horse with blue eyes but I love how they look. All of my minis have those beautiful warm chocolate brown eyes and I consider them just as special. I think it really is in the eye of the beholder to which one is more beautiful. As far as selling goes - I wouldn't know! =)

Katie

Personally, it makes little difference to me. Colors of eyes and coats is the last thing I look at. I do have 1 stallion with blue eyes and I think it completes his "look", but it's not really important.

I will caution you though: While some people prefer it, certain Judges (expecially with a Hackney background) aren't crazy about the blue eyes or a lot of white hair.

However, those that focus on conformation first don't seem to care one way or the other.

I guess i will be the different...

I LOVE BLUE EYES!!!!!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I wont turn down a brown eyed horse just because of eye color, but blue eyes will make me more interested in a horse right off the bat! Of course conformation comes in first but blue eyes just takes the cake for me!

default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: We love blue eyes as well. We don't have a blue eyed mini at this time, but do have a big horse with one blue eye. The big horse was born this year, after she was born, we fell in love with the blue eyes. My children love the blue eyed horses.

default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

take care,

melissa

Iam glad you asked this question...I was going to buy a blue eyed filly weanling and her eyes freaked me out! I love brown eyed anything and have a stallion with a partial blue eye and I love that on him.... so I think I will grow to love blue eyes but not just yet...
default_smile.png
Thanks for asking, Ren

TontoHollyatVets10-31-06004.jpg

LC Dakota OSO 11 year AMHR stallion 38 inches

Personally, it's more then just eye color for me. I'm not overly fond of bald-faced, blue-eyed horses, although I have seen a few I'm ok with or like. If I'm not looking at confo, it's more coloration then just eye color that strikes me.

Although the odd-eyed horses can really through you! Odd-eye animals of all kinds do it. Our blue merle Aussie pup has one blue and one brown, and my goodness it took awhile to get used to- and still freaks me out on occasion! Like when she's lying there and seems asleep, and then you see this crystal blue eye staring at you :lol: It's weird, to, because the blue is sorrounded by black!

I've seen some striking blue-eyes on light colored horses, and I've also seen those spooky blues... it's kind of odd, since it's just a color...

We have a brown eyed dam and brown eyed sire this year throw a one blue eye and one brown eye filly, after that we fell in love with the blue eyes. We also love our brown eyes as just as must.Alot of the horse makes your decision as well not just the eyes.

take care,

melissa

My mother and I both strongly prefer brown eyes, although blue eyes won't prevent us from buying a horse we otherwise like. And we both agree with RainSong--bald faces are NOT our thing! Blue eyes aren't quite so bad (in our opinion) if they are surrounded by color on the horse's head, rather than white hair/pink skin.

We have one mare with a partial blue eye, one filly with two blue eyes, and a stallion with two blue eyes. I don't have any pictures that really show their eyes, but here are the horses:

Redrock C Me Now, our junior stallion with two blue eyes:

Noah2006LittleHousePhotomedium.jpg

Reflections What A Star, pictured here as a foal but she's now a yearling, she has two blue eyes:

WhatAStarJuly05cropped.jpg

Redrock Neon Starlight, our broodmare with a partial blue eye:

StarlightHeadJuly06LittleHousePhoto.jpg

I like both, really. If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with brown eyes. My horses now all have dark eyes, except my Rowdy bred mare, Hope, who has a partial blue eye and a perlino mare, Double, who is coming to me from Erica.

Double%2009282006%203.jpg

HOPE%20EYE.jpg

I love all my horses but its very clear that I have a strong facination with blue eyed horses. I use them in my art and love their mystique!

i love both blue and brown eyed horses.
default_yes.gif
: Here is my 3 yr/old mare Amore Dun In Style with 2 blue eyes
default_wub.png
:

784477-R1-16-8A.jpg

When buying a mini, to me eye colour couldn't mean less! I never look at that. I have 1 mini w/ 2 blue eyes and 3 other minis w/ brown and 4 large horses w/brown. Plain and simple, IMHO anyway.

Conformation and disposition are number one important, I do like blue eyes, but do not like bald faces. I have a very plain gelding with a blaze...light sorrel, no fascinating markings and kinda a large head/ears...but then you come to those dark blue eyes and something changes...he is no longer "ordinary" if you know what I mean. If he had brown eyes, it just wouldn't be the same. This horse is not ordinary to someone who knows him, he has the best disposition I've ever seen, but to just look at him, you might pass him over if it weren't for his beautiful eyes...

HPIM0498.jpg

I love both blue and brown eyes.
default_wub.png
:

This is our mare, Skyler, who has 1 blue and 1 brown eye. I love how it looks on her!

SkylerHead2.jpg

And this is her colt, Stetson, from last year with 2 blue eyes. They are the softest blue eyes I have every seen.

Stetson.jpg

Stetson5.jpg

I myself love the blue eyed minis, perhaps because you don't see them as often in ancient lesson horses. :eek: That or 1) I'm biased because of my own bright blue eyes or 2) There's an odd gene for us paint loving people that I got from Mom and Grandma. :lol:

We have owned both blue and brown eyed horses and love both! In our experience, when we sold a horse people were more interested in the horses conformation, bite, if legs were straight, disposition etc. than the eye color.

Latest posts

Back