Nursing home visit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the mini horses do have quite the impact on the nursing home residents. I had a 3 month old mini colt that I took to nursing homes and the residents absolutely loved him and so did the people working there. His name was Smokie. I remember this one time when we went into this young man's room. He didnt' have a nose! He also had a major mental handicap. It was very shocking for me the fact that he didn't have a nose and it was like a big hole in his face but I came for a reason and that was to bless the residents with something that God has blessed me with. So I took Smokie into the room up to the man. He was in a wheel chair. So we walked Smokie up to the man and let him pet him. I will never forget the man's response. He started smiling and making lots of noises. He started rocking back and forth in his wheelchair and was just so happy to see Smokie. You could see his eyes light up and the smile on his face, it was amazing. Smokie loved it and stood there happily. Then Smokie lifted his head and rested it in the man's lap, the man kept his eyes on Smokie and I can't explain the joy I saw in his face, it was indescribable. After about five minutes it was time for us to go so we said goodbye and walked out. When we got out in the hallway we noticed that the pastor that was there to minister to the man was crying. Then he looked over at us (my mom and I) and said something along the lines of "sorry, we have been trying to reach the man and get some response from him, but didn't ever get anything like that, he was happy, he had happiness in his eyes". We were truly touched by that. Smokie had done just what we had set out to do, change a life. During his short life Smokie touched many other people, I could go on forever. But this was just one of the touching stories that I have. I will never forget that. Animals truly are the best medicine!

P.S Sadly Smokie died at the age of 10 months on December 23, 2005. He will be forever missed and will forever remain in my heart.

Has your stallion EVER kicked at you or anybody? Does he have that love for people? Does he stand quietly for long periods of time? Does he bite at all?
So far he's only bucked once when I got on him (I know, I was asking for it
default_smile.png
). He's never kicked, bitten, pinned his ears, etc. He doesn't like to stand too long, but he'll just kinda move around rather than get upset or crabby. He took the cart for the first time today
default_smile.png
In two weeks we hope to actually attach him to it and get in. He is unfazed by ANYTHING so far. We had him drag a huge green branch today and he just tried to eat it. Whatever his previous owners did, they did it right.

Sounds like he is a sweet horse. I would try it with him, how old is he? Of course the number one thing is safety, if you don't have any doubt whatsoever about him and if he will behave himself then I would say go for it!
default_yes.gif
: You just need to have complete confidence in him that he won't do anything. He does sound like a good horse to do it with. Good luck!
default_smile.png

He's a 95 model, making him 11 years old. He travels in my truck, and has ridden for hours, so I have confidence in his patience and lack of kicking
default_smile.png
I'm just worried about the whole "what if" problem. He's not house-trained, just "lucky".

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay--we need a picture of Deacon riding in your truck.
default_yes.gif
:
Ask and you shall receive... note this is BEFORE the truck was "modified" to be more roomy, safe, and waterproof
default_wink.png
: The last is after, notice the lack of a rear seat now
default_smile.png

2.jpg

3.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay--we need a picture of Deacon riding in your truck.
default_yes.gif
:
Ask and you shall receive... note this is BEFORE the truck was "modified" to be more roomy, safe, and waterproof
default_wink.png
: The last is after, notice the lack of a rear seat now
default_smile.png

2.jpg

3.jpg

9.jpg

How cute!!! What an adorable little horse! My miniature horse would ride in the back of our Suburban with the back seats out. We made a homemade ramp for hiim and he would walk right up the ramp and climb in the back. It was the cutest thing. We would be going down the highway and he liked to stick his head out the window and look at all the cars going by. He would see people in town with dogs and whinny. We got all kinds of funny faces from people. With these calm little horses who needs a trailor?!?!?

Tagalong, that was very moving and you got me crying. it is wonderful that you and others can bring happiness to many elders.

my jenny ella,,did those kind of visits when she was a small foal, so did her mother. my maggie would also love to do that.

as for insurance..we have an umbrella policy that covers just about any thing that can happen. if there is true will, there is a way.

How cute!!! What an adorable little horse! My miniature horse would ride in the back of our Suburban with the back seats out. We made a homemade ramp for hiim and he would walk right up the ramp and climb in the back. It was the cutest thing. We would be going down the highway and he liked to stick his head out the window and look at all the cars going by. He would see people in town with dogs and whinny. We got all kinds of funny faces from people. With these calm little horses who needs a trailor?!?!?
Thanks
default_smile.png
Deacon hops up there himself! In that first picture he is getting ready to pop up. Its fun to watch. It took NO training to convince him to do it either. I just got in the back myself and gave him a little cluck, and up he came! I was really surprised... My windows don't open that way though, they just crack to let air in. I usually leave them closed, with the air on. The windows are tinted, so in all the hours I've driven with him nobody has ever even looked at us twice. Luckily neither have the police...
default_smile.png
I sure hope its not illegal... he's barely a big dog
default_smile.png

Thanks
default_smile.png
Deacon hops up there himself! In that first picture he is getting ready to pop up. Its fun to watch. It took NO training to convince him to do it either. I just got in the back myself and gave him a little cluck, and up he came! I was really surprised... My windows don't open that way though, they just crack to let air in. I usually leave them closed, with the air on. The windows are tinted, so in all the hours I've driven with him nobody has ever even looked at us twice. Luckily neither have the police...
default_smile.png
I sure hope its not illegal... he's barely a big dog
default_smile.png

Deacon is such a cutie!!!
default_wub.png
: Minis are such awesome animals! LOL! I don't think it is illegal, don't know for sure though....I guess we'll find out sometime. :bgrin

Latest posts

Back