Ok, it's official... She's Silver Bay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
Tana-June72006-cuteeditedstanding.jpg

I just got the results back from UC Davis. Tana is Silver Bay (probably silver bay dun to be more precise).

She's homozygous black (EE), heterozygous agouti (Aa) and no cream.

So, if I breed her to my stallion, they will always have bay foals with or without silver modifier (my stallion is homozygous agouti).

Jane, you were right, but no I told you so's; I'm still getting used to the added colors available in minis [coming from full-size where black, bay, gray, sorrel, palomino and buckskin were about it; minis are very colorful and often confusing.]

Tana%20-%20July%2014,%202006%20-%20edited%201.jpg

I'll have to admit, she does look more silver bay dun in this picture.

When she was younger she really looked palomino in person, but as she's getting older she is really taking on the silver bay coloration.

Hm...I guess what makes me think she was silver bay was the silvery lower legs and the creamy "pangare" areas that tend to show up on bay horses.

COOL that you know for sure b/c there is no guessing, now!!!

default_smile.png

Thanks for sharing what you know with us!

Liz

Hm...I guess what makes me think she was silver bay was the silvery lower legs and the creamy "pangare" areas that tend to show up on bay horses.

COOL that you know for sure b/c there is no guessing, now!!!

Thanks for sharing what you know with us!

Liz
Your welcome, happy to share and happy to learn more about the amazing colors these little guys can be.

Until recently, she really looked palomino in person; only in pictures did she have that silvery cast to her coloring. The second picture I posted is pretty close to her actual coloring now, maybe a hair lighter in person. Her mane and tail are snow white, which is what threw me off with her coloring.

I'll also be certain of coloring of any foals she has with my stallion should I breed them. He's Ee, AA; and she's EE, Aa plus silver. So bay all the way (with or w/o silver) --- Ee/Aa, EE/AA, EE/Aa and Ee/AA (all bay with 50% chance of having red).

Very timely! I just downloaded and filled out the form to have my "color twin" to her (Harmony Hills Harvest Gold / "Goldie") color tested yesterday! Now there's just the matter of pulling those hairs!

Very timely! I just downloaded and filled out the form to have my "color twin" to her (Harmony Hills Harvest Gold / "Goldie") color tested yesterday! Now there's just the matter of pulling those hairs!
Jill,

Well, it will be interesting to see how Goldie tests as far as whether or not she is homozygous for either black or bay. Do you think she has cream? At least you will have an idea what she'll produce when and if she is bred.

That's almost as bad as an "I told you so".
default_wink.png
: :bgrin

LOL ok dumb question but here goes, Where is this form to download?? And can you have a dappled silver bay?

I have a little silver mare who is very similiar in color to your mare.

11-05Belle.jpg

This is Adventure IIs Belle Of The Ball, 30.50" mare. She is registered as a palomino which she definitely isn't, however her coat has somewhat of a 'yellowish' cast to it, so I'm not really sure what else she is carrying color wise.

I have a little silver mare who is very similiar in color to your mare.

11-05Belle.jpg

This is Adventure IIs Belle Of The Ball, 30.50" mare. She is registered as a palomino which she definitely isn't, however her coat has somewhat of a 'yellowish' cast to it, so I'm not really sure what else she is carrying color wise.
They are similar in color, but as a yearling Tana has already outgrown your mare. Tana is 35" tall already (she may be a little shorter, as I didn't have help when I measured her).

Chanda,

She is just beautiful! And yes she is every bit as golden and yellow looking on most of her body as palominos can be! :)

It is really nice that you had her tested and shared the results with those of us like me, who are still learning more about horse color every day and loving it :)

Susan O.

Chanda,

She is just beautiful! And yes she is every bit as golden and yellow looking on most of her body as palominos can be! :)

It is really nice that you had her tested and shared the results with those of us like me, who are still learning more about horse color every day and loving it :)

Susan O.
Susan,

More than happy to share. It helps all of learn the wild colors these wonderful little equines can be.

I do not think my mare carries cream, but I'd love it if she does! She is registered as a palomino.

Here's a picture of her taken recently. I can see why someone would register my mare as palomino, but I feel she's silver bay and we shall soon find out!

Goldie%20--%2007012006%20--%20034.jpg

Weeelll Jill..might be my monitor/color settings..BUT your mare looks like a red dun to me!
default_unsure.png
: :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think my mare carries cream, but I'd love it if she does! She is registered as a palomino.

Here's a picture of her taken recently. I can see why someone would register my mare as palomino, but I feel she's silver bay and we shall soon find out!

Goldie%20--%2007012006%20--%20034.jpg
Jill,

Goldie's dorsal stripe is more prominent that Tana's, but other than that they look identical in color to me. I guess we'll know soon enough, won't we.
default_smile.png

To add to Tana's color confusion, she also has appy characteristics (her sire was a leopard appy). I don't know how much she'll appy out, but she has striped hooves, mottled nose and privates, and noticeable scelera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! Don't confuzzle me with more possibilities, Christine :lol:

I had not considered she might be red dun, but now I'm thinking maybe so! Maybe she's silver bay... Maybe she's palomino... maybe she's red dun. I dunno, but will know soon!

Here's another shot of her looking more palomino. I tell ya, she's a master of disguise!

Goldie%20--%20Horses%20and%20Dogs%20--%2009302005%20011.jpg

Also, I have a mare a little like Tana (well, actually she's Erica's but hasn't gotten out to her mini mule production lot yet). She is silver buckskin dun with all the appy factors except for spots. She's a 1998 mare so will not spot out at this point, but she sure has a lot of color things going on!!!

Jill I have always thought that Goldie was a Red Dun- you were so adamant that she was a Silver Bay Dun I just assumed you had already had her tested!!

Whatever else she is she is not Palomino- she has a pronounced and not false Dorsal, making her a Dun of some sort.

Her colour is very, very similar to Rabbit, who has no Cream, and is a straight Red Dun

1402263_43.jpg

Ok yes it is me raising this again.. I am just curious all those with "dun" horses be they silver bay dun, dunalino or any of those other fancy duns
default_smile.png
do they have more then just a dorsal as in leg barring, cob webbing ect? any other primitive markings? Again just asking

Ok yes it is me raising this again.. I am just curious all those with "dun" horses be they silver bay dun, dunalino or any of those other fancy duns
default_smile.png
do they have more then just a dorsal as in leg barring, cob webbing ect? any other primitive markings? Again just asking
I can only speak for myself and my horse. I'm not positive she has dun factor, but I think she does. She has the dorsal stripe and her head is darker than her body. Her legs are so light at this time, that I haven't noticed if she has zebra marks on her legs, but I keep looking for them (I didn't clip her this summer, so she may still be sporting some foal hair on her legs, which could mask the marks). I haven't noticed any shoulder bars, but they could be there.

I may just have to body clip, then wait for the summer hair to "recolor" and see what she looks like.

Latest posts

Back