New Overo Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgtman

Reaction score
:aktion033: We are proud to announce the addition of NXS Eclipses Power Stroke to our breeding stallions. This 2002 homozygous blue eyed bald face belly splash overo stallion is out of French Broad Lunar Eclipse. His first foals in 2006 are both fillies and overo. One is a red bald face splash and the other a black and white medicine hat filly. a blue eyed, pie face, sorrel overo. He is 33.25 " and 4 years old. Looking for a picture and information on his sire, FRENCH BROADS LUNAR ECLIPSE. I did the google thing, but did not turn up anything. This is Power Stokes picture.
498_pic.jpg
Thanks!

Sorry, can't help you with pics, but wondering why you say he is homozygous? What is he homozygous for? There is not test available to test for Splash.

Nice boy, but please do put some weight on him.

Mona, he could be homozygous for pinto and still be splash.

Nice boy, but please do put some weight on him.

Mona, he could be homozygous for pinto and still be splash.

What pattern of pinto then? Don't forget, to be homozygous for a pattern, the horse must have two copies of the same gene.

I do beleive overo genes can mask the tobi genes. Not sure.

Can't help with the sire pic either. Have to agree with Mona......I think he has to be Tobiano in order to be homozygous. I don't think there's homozygous with Overo coloring but I could be wrong. Good luck with your new boy. Does look like he needs some groceries though.

[ a friend of mine owned French Broads Lunar Eclipse last year, and she sold him when she dispersed her herd. We had a nice homozygous black and white colt off him, and a nice black and white pinto filly. I know there were several more of his babies born to other people that bought mares from her, several pinto fillies. He was homozygous fot the tobi gene, and the black gene as well. Nice stallion, i hope your new guy does as well in the breeding shed as his sire, you should get some nice babies!
default_yes.gif
:

I don't know if I'm reading things right here, but a horse cannot be homozygous for overo pattern. That would mean he has two copies of the overo gene, thus making a lethal white overo. These foals die within 3 days. They have incomplete (separated) intestine & cannot digest food. They cannot live.

So, your boy could be hiding tobiano to be homozygous for that, I believe. Someone will correct me, I'm sure, if I'm wrong.

And, by the way, he's beautiful -- congratulations! Should make some nice foals for you. :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
Current belief is that a horse that expresses the splashed white pattern as he does, is homozygous for splashed white. However, there is no test for splashed at this time, so the thought is just theory at this point. Since the stallion appears to be chestnut, he would be homozygous for chestnut.

He was homozygous fot the tobi gene, and the black gene as well.
If that's the case, then this stallion would be a tovero (masking tobiano) and would likely be silver bay instead of chestnut.

I don't know if I'm reading things right here, but a horse cannot be homozygous for overo pattern. That would mean he has two copies of the overo gene, thus making a lethal white overo. These foals die within 3 days. They have incomplete (separated) intestine & cannot digest food. They cannot live.

So, your boy could be hiding tobiano to be homozygous for that, I believe. Someone will correct me, I'm sure, if I'm wrong.

And, by the way, he's beautiful -- congratulations! Should make some nice foals for you. :aktion033:
The situation you are referring to is LWO. I believe the insinuation here is that he is homozygous for Splashed White, which some refer to as an Overo gene while others do not. There is however to my knowledge no test for Splashed White.

Good luck finding a picture of the sire.

Hi,

I owned French Broad Lunar Eclipse for several years. When we switched to the dilutes of course we sold him to a lady in NC, who just recently sold Eclipse when she dispersed her herd. Eclispse never threw us a colt, he always threw fillies for us. 90% were bay pinto or black pinto. We never bred Eclipse to an overo mare, so I have no idea what he could produce bred that way. I do have a picture of Eclipse somewhere in my computer. I will try and dig that up for you. Eclipse is a gorgeous horse, awesome dished head. If this little guy can throw half of what Eclipse did you got yourself quite the breeding horse.

Lara Pier

www.bdazzledfarms.com

Congratulations on your gorgeous new stallion. :aktion033: :aktion033:
default_wub.png
: I love the splash overos..

Hi,

I owned French Broad Lunar Eclipse for several years. When we switched to the dilutes of course we sold him to a lady in NC, who just recently sold Eclipse when she dispersed her herd. Eclispse never threw us a colt, he always threw fillies for us. 90% were bay pinto or black pinto. We never bred Eclipse to an overo mare, so I have no idea what he could produce bred that way. I do have a picture of Eclipse somewhere in my computer. I will try and dig that up for you. Eclipse is a gorgeous horse, awesome dished head. If this little guy can throw half of what Eclipse did you got yourself quite the breeding horse.

Lara Pier

www.bdazzledfarms.com
Thanks for the information. If you can find a picture of him I would really appreciate it. Bob
default_smile.png

In regard to the color question, this is the information provided by a friend I consider very knowledgeable in regard to color after he researched the bloodlines in Power Strokes pedigree. Bob "he is homozygous red, he doesn't need to be tested for the red gene, but he could have the bay gene. I would test him for Agouti which is the bay gene. You can have him tested for LWO, but he doesn't have it, he does not carry the frame gene (which is the same as the LWO gene). He is a splashed white, which is still an overo, but I checked his lineage and there is no frame overo bloodlines in his pedigree, and if he had the frame gene, then in most cases the splashed white gene would have turned the frame gene on, and you would have some neck marks, plus some side markings. So the only test you need to test him for is the Agouti, and you can test him for the frame gene if you want to be positive that he doesn't carry the LWO gene."

In regard to the color question, this is the information provided by a friend I consider very knowledgeable in regard to color after he researched the bloodlines in Power Strokes pedigree. Bob "he is homozygous red, he doesn't need to be tested for the red gene, but he could have the bay gene. I would test him for Agouti which is the bay gene. You can have him tested for LWO, but he doesn't have it, he does not carry the frame gene (which is the same as the LWO gene). He is a splashed white, which is still an overo, but I checked his lineage and there is no frame overo bloodlines in his pedigree, and if he had the frame gene, then in most cases the splashed white gene would have turned the frame gene on, and you would have some neck marks, plus some side markings. So the only test you need to test him for is the Agouti, and you can test him for the frame gene if you want to be positive that he doesn't carry the LWO gene."
This very much makes sense. He is homozygous for Red, which you can tell by looking at him, he is Red. He is NOT homozygous for any PATTERN that can be tested for.

I would still test him for Frame (LWO) if I planned to breed him to any LWO positive mares (even though I feel sure he doesn't carry it). $25 is a small price for peace of mind.

Latest posts

Back