Facial Razoring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoeboxstables

Reaction score
Hi guys, we've had suggested to us that we should do facil razoring on our horses. Now I've seen some pretty aweful razor jobs, and I just want want ours to turn out like that. I have never done it before, and I just wanted to know what your opinions on it are, what's the best stuff to use, and any pictures or a good description of the exact process would be great. Also, our next show is this sunday, do you think it is worth it to attempt before then? It is a smaller show, but still. Both my horses are body clipped. One is a grey mare who has totally greyed out, and the other is a chest/white pinto with a primaly chestnut face. I do have other horses that I could test this on, but none are body clipped. Also, clipper with a #30 blade or a shap, good people razor? Any help or insight would be fantastic!

Thanks so much!

Kaitlyn Murray

First, it looks nicer if most of the head is already clipped w/a #30 about three days before the show, maybe 5 if you want a bit more hair. I've done it w/#10 or #15, but when you're body clipping with #30 (pretty much what's competitive out there for the sleekest look in the shows that show off body condition), if you have them clipped w/a #10 on the head, well, it makes the head look big.

Using them in the jowl area helps to fill this area out, though, to leave the hair a bit longer there, but everywhere else, blend it.

I use a #50 over the muzzle and then up to the noseband of my halters (sometimes I use a #40 to blend downward if I don't want to shave the entire muzzle up to the noseband, and it's just personal choice/asthetics, some horses just look awful done that way, others look great).

Then, use lots of a nice shaving cream w/Vit. E (I like to use), lots of warm water and a nice, new razor (I think it's the Lady Bic that most use). Start around the nose, the coarser hairs and shave following the direction of the hair. Most horses won't mind this and should be fairly manageable for it. Hence there should be very little if any "carnage" of nicks and if you shave yourself, you know these are minor annoyances, even on sensitive areas.

If your horse is nervous about it, just go slowly and speak soothingly with them. I sit with a towel in my lap and wipe off from time to time to see where I need to go.

After you've shaved the coarser hairs over the lips and around the nose, then move upward over the softer skin and finer hairs (the duller blades will be far less likely to nick if you use them this way). Use lots of warm water and lather, and be patient.

Experiment with what you like. I also shave over the eyes and blend back w/ #50 then #40 and even sometimes to the #30. It can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. Do this before you have a show so you can determine what's best for the look you desire.

Most often, I'd do this with a horse that has a very pretty face and rather than the plain, coarse head though I think minimal razoring enhances almost any horse, but it IS hard to blend it when you just do the areas of the lips that grow the silvery hair, etc. It makes their muzzles look smaller.

Afterwards, wash the lather off and dry it and moisturize with a good product and keep them out of the direct sun/hottest part of the day and in out of the cold, etc. Use insect repellent as well to keep the flies away and mosquitoes away from the bare skin.

I'm sure others will tell you it's ugly, whatever, and mean, but I've been doing it for several years. I haven't badly injured any horse though I have nicked them from time to time. It heals quickly and I've NEVER had a problem w/the eye area. I would never razor the eye on a horse that was nervous, either, though.

it's a matter of opinion and choice, and as long as there's no discomfort, go for it. Never seen a horse that appeared to be in pain or discomfort during or after this procedure and the hair grows back within a few days to at least #40 length and within a week you could get hair off with a #10.

The mare in my avatar was very minimally razored and blended about a day prior to her photos. VERY minimally. She was only shaved to up to her eyes at all (clippers, #30, and blended to #40/#50 down the muzzle to the razored area. More pics of her on my website to see more clearly.

Liz M.

I'd suggest having someone you trust, who does their own horses, show you how. It's really not the best idea to try to describe this. You can end up with a goofy looking horse, or cuts all over them if not done correctly.

Is this an AMHA or AMHR show? Michigan only has AMHR show's and they don't so the extreme razoring seen at AMHA around here.

If you don't have anybody to show you, I'd suggest clipping with the 30 on the muzzle (I like to shade it up into the face without leaving a line, but personal preference) and over the eyes, kind of like where you'd put on eye shadow, so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Liz hit everything on the head in her post, just remember it should take awhile to do this not 10 minutes. just go slow and take your time.

Kristine

Latest posts

Back