WHY is my "frost free" outside barn water spigot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done this at least once every winter
wacko.gif
. So I keep a heat light handy and then I just clamp it on and point it at the faucet (as close as possible). I use the heat lamp so I don't have to stand out there in the cold with my hair dryer...
blush.gif
. It works like a charm.

YAY!

Just thought I'd update you all. Last night we went back out and wrapped heat tape around and around the pipe starting at the base/ground level all the way to the top with about a 1 inch space between each wrap around the pipe (I only had one and had to make it work for the whole length), plugged that in and put a bucket upside down over the spigot. When I went out this morning it was unfrozen and working.

I've got a feeling something needs to be adjusted though, because when it is shut off tight the water still drips for a bit. I'm leaving the heat tape plugged in until I know I've got it resolved.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!! I got PM's and even a phone call this morning.

I hurt my husbands feelings because I posted on the forum for help before I even told him what had happened (he read it on the forum before he heard it from me - oops!)

But thanks to you all, we got some great advice that saved us a lot of time, trouble and money.

I find that even on the coldest days, it will defrost enough by 3 pm to run the water and fill the trough. The sun warms it just enough to use it again.

Latest posts

Back