How to introduce a weanling to a new herd

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmkrieg

Reaction score
Hello we just bought a weanling filly and we are trying to introduce her to the herd. She is so tiny and I put her in with another weanling filly the problem is the other weanling filly is a lot bigger and is bullying her. The weanling we currently have is pinning her ears at the newest filly. They both are 5 months old. What should I do?? I want to stall these 2 together but I don't know if the tiny filly will get hurt. Any advice???
no.gif

oh and I thought I would add the tiny filly is only 24" at 5 months old and the filly she is stalled with is 27"

The bigger filly is probably just showing her she is boss and saying she was here first.... As long as the bigger one isnt trying to kill her, I wouldnt worry too much, though, I would keep a close eye on them while they get aqquainted to make sure nothing happens,...It will take a little time, but they will become friends eventually..

dmkrieg said:
oh and I thought I would add the tiny filly is only 24" at 5 months old and the filly she is stalled with is 27"
502312[/snapback]

They probably just need time to get used to each other. You need to make sure each one has their own feed bucket or whatever you use and their own pile of hay. Do you have any fencing or gates that you could use temporarily to divide the stall until they get used to each other.

I have a similar problem as we just got a 5 month old but my other 2 horses are older and guys so I had no hopes of putting anyone "together". However until we get another stall completed I divided a stall with a pipe gate and one side is for my 17 yr old gelding; the other is for the filly. By the way these two get along just fine out in the pasture where there's lots of room. I just wouldn't trust the big old guy in a confined space like a stall.

I htink it will just take some time for them to work it out on there own. I would seperate for feeding if you can or if you are feeding hay put down 3-4 piles instead of 2 so that if she gets chased from one she can still eat seperate them pretty far away.

I hope little Lacy adjusts OK, she is such a tiney little girl, but boy can she have an attitude sometimes! She was so spoiled here, that she thinks its all about her! (it was)LOL!, when she gets settled in she is really going to give Keota a run for her money!!

We had to put a new weaner in with ours last year and it took about 2 weeks before my weaners would stop chasing and picking on the new one. This year l have a new colt in with my 3 weanie fillys and they loved him from the minute he got of the truck.
laugh.gif
Probably cause he's the opposite sex.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I want to stall these 2 together but I don't know if the tiny filly will get hurt.

Sure she's going to get hurt. That's an accident looking for a place to happen. Why do that and try to force the issue?

I would not force the little filly in with the one that is bullying her and lock her in a stall with her. Absolutely not. Would you like to be locked in a room with someone that is trying to knock the snot out of you? At best, she'll be a nervous wreck.

She's new, she needs time to adjust. Give them plenty of time to adjust outside and give them their own space in the barn.

Well I guess we must be lucky as I have never had a problem getting weaners to get along. I bought my appy colt in Sept. He instantly bonded with the 2 weaner fillys I put him with.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I am going to put a devider gate in their stall. Both are newer fillies so I don't know what the problem is. I never thought the one would do that. I put my blind gelding in with the new baby and he is being very sweet to her. If I put her by herself she tries to come right over the top of the stall gate. She is a nervous wreck without another horse around. I have a 10'wire filled gate that I will try rigging up to devide the stall at night. They are out during the day so that will work great. The babies stall is 9w x 9'long so it should work out great.

Thanks again, I knew I could count on my mini friends for advice.

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Debbie, I think if you can separate Keota from the other at night for just a short period of time and let them together during the day outside, I think they will bond rapidly and you will be able to put them together in a stall in no time.

When I brought home a weanling filly this year, I first put her together with one other filly, since I didn't want to overwhelm the new one with the whole bunch of other weanlings. She's a bossy little girl though, so when she did go out with them, she had no trouble asserting herself.
smile.gif

I would definitely separate the fillies for feeding, unless they can be in a big enough area that the more timid one can get away from the other and still eat.

I think it's a good idea letting her stay with your older blind gelding as you are, since he is good to her. I bet he enjoys the company too.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back