baby Oliver

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taz

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with their foals eye lashes pointing down instead of out? Ollie's eyes are doing better with the antibiotics in them every day but definitely bothering him. They are tearing constantly but at least that is keeping them moist. Sun one was red and swollen with pus in it and the other dry so his lashes actually were sticking to his eye ball. Poor baby! Not red anymore and no pus. I would love to hear about it if anyone had dealt with this.

Here are a couple bad pictures from today. He's shades of grey, darker on his head, neck and back with two blue eyes. I have no idea what colour he's going to be, silver dapple was suggested from an even worse picture. LOL. Anyone want to take a guess?

IMG_20180320_084802002_resized1290198925.jpgIMG_20180320_114126828_resized1413386921.jpgIMG_20180320_114137698_resized-924409991.jpg

Can't help you with the eyes but he looks close to the color of a couple of our foals last year and three years ago. The coming three year old was the same color as sire and he is a silver smoky black. Last years fillies are both silver black (dapple). One looks like she will have dapples and the other not.

He sure is cute. Makes me really want my mares to foal. Have five over 300, with one over 340 days.

Congrats on your little cutie! I'd guess silver of some kind too......... As for his eye lashes, you may have to have a vet intervene. It's never happened to us personally, but other breeders have mentioned needing to have the vet put a couple of stitches in the foal's lids to keep the lashes turned out.

Silver black or silver smokey black makes sense, mom is smokey black. I'll know when he sheds out but it's fun to guess.

His eyes are being monitored by a vet. She doesn't want to do surgery at his size/age so we're doing ointment and watching for now, hoping he'll grow out of it.

MMM I hope you get a little one soon! They are SO much fun!!!!!

I have only had one with eye lashes that wanted to stick in the eye--i did not need to get them stitched but I did roll them out/up a few times--dried them off each time and it did the trick, by the 2nd day they were normal and not irritating the filly's eyes any more.

All I was told about dad was he was black and white, I assume that means pinto. There also was a stud where I got her. I was told she hadn't been bred by him but he was a blue roan. She foaled at 355 days from the breed date I was given to the pinto and he looks like he got cooked enough so I'm leaning that way but she was moved right after that so I have no idea if she was still in season or not when she got to where the roan was......

He is just cute as a button. It does look like his lower legs are white, will be interesting to see his color as he matures.. Let us know how his eyes do, try what Minimor said and also continue to use the ointment from the vet hopefully that'll do the trick. Will be praying for swift healing and no ulcers on either eye.

Yes, make sure the eye irritation doesn't turn into ulcers. I admit to knowing not much about foals, but in adult horses conjunctival ulcers can be difficult to deal with (been there with a mare) and can lead to bigger problems.

He is an adorable little guy. Good luck with him!

I rolled his lids a few times and they started coming right. Then I thought I shouldn't stop the antibiotic completely and was going to use it a couple more times to wean it off, well that got his lashes down again, UGG! So I stopped the cream and kept rolling his lids a few times a day( watching carefully for any problems that needed cream again) and they were starting back last night and look completely normal this morning. Thank you MInimor!

I'll post some pictures when he starts shedding his baby fuz, and get some help figuring out what colour he is.

I'll post some pictures when he starts shedding his baby fuz, and get some help figuring out what colour he is.
he sure looks silver black in the pictures you've posted so far. [My little girl born Sunday night is a silver black oreo (silver black head and rear with white around the middle).]

Latest posts

Back