Magic Marker 2018

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MA2 Fancy Feather (black/white sabino pinto, LWO-)

Sire: Dagnillos Zorro (black/white pinto)

Dam: Mini Bucks Fancy Freckles (Silver bay pinto)

Feather 1.jpg

Feather 2.jpg

Magic Mans Top Ticket (Smoky Black/White Sabino LWO+)

Sire: Magic Man of LTDS (Black/White LWO+)

Dam: Santanas Premium Lace (Dun -- probably dunskin as Ticket has a cream gene)

Ticket.jpg

Top Ticket.png

He does not look true black because he is a smoky black. They fade to brown. He also is sabino.

His dam and sire do not carry silver. 

Now the babies coat is a tan color; almost looking dun. His mane is the same color.

I'll read all the posts tomorrow so may have missed something pertinent if so I apologize...but I'm thinking like Mona that there's some silver there ...the eyelashes AND the striped hooves unless you got some appaloosa in there those are silver characteristics.

edited to say I love him and his color!

Last edited by a moderator:
Both parents look black, black does not carry silver, it expresses silver; so they don't have silver and can't pass silver.    The white eyelashes say silver is likely on the foal, but that's impossible from the given parents, so he's either the strangest black foal ever, or his daddy was a silver "mailman".

Both parents look black, black does not carry silver, it expresses silver; so they don't have silver and can't pass silver.    The white eyelashes say silver is likely on the foal, but that's impossible from the given parents, so he's either the strangest black foal ever, or his daddy was a silver "mailman".
The dam of the the stallion shown here had a silver bay (I believe it was) parent.  Silver presents like other things, where it can show more or less on any given animal.  That was why I asked if they had been color tested. When you look at the stud as a foal, the mane and tail are very light colored.  If not silver, the only color I would say this foal here would be, is smokey black. Maybe the "smokey" is lightening the color of mane and tail at birth and progressively gets darker with age.

this is your new foals dam right, Feather? --> MA2 Fancy Feather (black/white sabino pinto, LWO-) 
I would venture a guess she has the silver dilution like her dam -so that's where it would have come in if your foal is. It only takes one parent to pass it on.
As far as Feathers sire, I know Zorro sired several silver foals so he may have passed on the dilution as well (although that could have come from the mares he was bred to).

If the foal's sire and/or dam were tested for silver and both came back negative (not doubting you at all just observing and learning) I would always wonder if the results were correct by looking at these horses' pedigrees and their progeny. Regardless, the foal is gorgeous with such a unique color.
My first thought looking at your photos was bay or dun, the darker ear tips suggest bay. Second thought was dilute since he's expressing the two silver characteristics, I can't tell if he has any mottling

I guess if he's kept or sold as stallion material then testing would be in order IF a person had to know before breeding. The only thing we really have to know is LWO results and if silvers involved ASD but breeding for color some want to know all the other up front too.

I remember years ago (may take me a while to remember the breeder) a mare being lab tested silver-buckskin-dun and the beautiful shade of brown she was!  That's when I got so interested in the minis color genetics. It may interesting watching this one mature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really sorry to hear of another passing MMM,  I really hope 2019 is better for you. Congrats on the last arrival. Hope this means you will get back to normal sleeping now, cheers 

Already catching up on my sleep.

Hoping next year is better also. We are only breeding six mares.

Rebreeding Puzzle (black HZ frame) for a repeat breeding to Zipit ( perlino)

Breeding Flutterby (smoky black sabino frame)(lost the frame colt) to Zipit

Breeding Mysti (black splash appy) (aborted filly by Ticket) to Ticket (smoky blk sabino frame)

Breeding Suzie (grullo-half sister to dun appy we lost) to Rohan (silver smoky blk HZ silver and black)

Breeding Gidget (palomino sabino pinto) to Ticket - she had a palomino pinto colt 2017

Breeding Blondie (palomino) to Zipit - she had a bay pinto turning grey filly 2017

We have changed Feathers colts name from Patches to Flash. He is almost two weeks old. Had his feet rasped and got to go out to the big pasture with the other babies.

Here are some pictures of him today.

We also will not be breeding Puzzle and Flutterby this year. Puzzle has not come into heat and we need to breed the last three mares soon. Flutterby is still healing from her delivery. Want her to be completely healed before breeding again.

We are going to breed Wind (lost her colt at 1 day) and Fabs (redbag).

Both were thin at delivery but the pasture has done wonders. They are fattening up fantastically.

Wind will be bred to Zipit (who she was supposed to be bred to before Rohans escape) and Fabs will be bred to Ticket.

20180603_125317-1.jpg

20180603_125301-1.jpg

All four babies are growing. Need to take pictures and post.

Piccaso and Party Girl have been weaned. Both moms were losing weight. We have sold Party Girl and her half sister Reba (3 yr old sorrel pinto) to a older couple. They leave next month. They also had us breed Reba for an extra fee.

Melody and Flash are still with their dams until next month. Melody is still very pale colored. Can't see her palomino under her baby fur. She cN only be a palomino (sire cremello and dam sorrel). Flash is a busy body. Loves to get in your space and nibble. He looks like he will be a brown buckskin like his sire. His eyelashes have turned tan so no silver.

We have bred 6 mares for next year.

Gidget (palomino sabino tobiano), Fabs (bay tobiano splash), and Mysti (black splash LP/lp) have been bred to Ticket (buckskin LWO+).

Flutterby (smoky black sabino LWO+) has been bred to Zipit (perlino).

Blondie (palomino) has been bred to Casper (cremello).

Suzie (grullo) has been bred to Rohan (silver smoky black HZ black and silver).

The four mares (Puzzle, Feather, Rain, and Princess) that had babies at their side this year, Wind (lost her foal at two days), and Miata (bay maiden) will be breed next year.

Latest posts

Back