Magic Marker 2018

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking at the latest pictures of Picasso and he is really stunning. What a nice colt. The more I see him the more I like him.

In some ways it was best.

I noticed Fabs was a little underweight. We had been giving her unlimited hay, alfalfa pellets, and mare & foal.

After foaling she was more underweight than we thought. She is out in the pasture so should plump up in no time. She is on the list of not being bred this year, so has over a year to plump up for next year.

She may be one of those kind of mares who just doesn't carry well. There are some who you just can't seem to keep them in top form while they are carrying... then have to pour the feed to after birth because they drop off so much more lactating. I had one of those. Mine would be alright until she foaled then no matter what she had to eat the foal would bring her down so bad it was unreal. I always hated to see terribly skinny mares that the owners would say "the foal has her sucked down".. I never believed that --until I had one. Even though I wouldnt' have bred her again she was one of two mares I sure regret selling.

She is a young mare. This would have been her second foal. She was fine with her first foal. She is also on the bottom of the pecking order, so can get pushed around when feeding.

This winter was colder so I think that was part of the problem. She is getting the year off to just graze.

Well that explains it then if she's low on the totem and had to contend with a harsh winter. I'm sure you are right. Hey, you are to be admired for not breeding her back this year.

Thank you.

We are planning on only breeding 8 mares this year.

Three that were open this year. The two that aborted. They are in excellent health and weight.

We are repeating our cross with Puzzle and Zipit. Will be breeding a mare that is in excellent weight that we are waiting for her first foal this year. The last will be either Princess (waiting for her to foal), Feather (waiting for her to foal), or Rain (foaled the buckskin LWO+ filly).

Won't be breeding until later in the year (June-August). Spring storms making it too hard to keep babies safe and dry when we have close to foaling mares. Barn is dryest for severe weather but only have five stalls. Usually have to put someone in the walkway. Decide on the last three when we have an idea how they are weight wise when we are ready to breed. They all will be nursing a foal.

Princess is in good weight. Feather is a little under plus she never bagged up last year. Had to get things from the vet to get her in milk. Unfortunately the filly did not survive. She has not started to bag up this year, so keeping a close eye on that. Rain was in good weight but has lost some in the last week.

Getting her out to the big pasture will help her but her filly is tiny. Also have a couple butt horses, with one wanting to take the foal. She is a coming 3 year old and has never foaled. She loved last years babies and still hangs out with them.

We welcomed a refined and leggy palomino filly this morning around 7:30am. She has a star and snip; and looks to have white on all four feet.

She has 7.5" cannons.

She was a red bag but was able to break through the placenta and get her out in time.

She knew she would be a palomino. Sire cremello and dam sorrel. Kari and I figured it was a colt, so happily surprised with a filly.

20180512_105158-1.jpg

20180512_105040-1.jpg

We have three remaining mares to foal than will be done for 2018.

Flutterby is 357 days and just cruising along.

Wind is 324 days and is filling in the milk bar fast. Her bag has gone from barely there yesterday to 3/4 full this am.

Feather is 323 days and has filled a lot also. She is also very relaxed in the vulva area.

First picture is Flutterby's bag.Next is Winds, than Feathers.

20180512_083137.jpg

20180512_083358.jpg

20180512_083427.jpg

Wind surprised us with a silver dapple colt with a blaze and at least one sock.

He is very lax in the fetlocks but should strengthen with time.

Bad news is the sire is not the stallion she was supposed to be bred to. We were breeding her to a perlino Buckeroo son. My silver smoky black stallion got under the chainlink fence and bred her once before I could catch him. He had three mares in heat and chose her. They had been bred before and produced a colt with dwarf characteristics. Looks like this colt has the same short neck.

20180513_065409-1.jpg

20180513_065846-1.jpg

Naughty boy.   hopefully, this one just has a short neck, and isn't a dwarf; sometimes it's not easy to tell when so young.

He's a pretty boy. Congratulations, I love his color. Give him time to unfold maybe he just has a little shorter neck but then again you see him in person and I've found those first impressions are usually right.

Flutterby (smoky black sabino LWO+) foaled early this am and wowser! 

The foal is exactly what we wanted just in boy form. Sire is our dunskin pinto Ten Ls Spirits Afterglow son, Creta Hills Spirit Wildfire.

The colt is a black frame with two blue eyes and 7" cannons. Flutterby red bagged and foal had one front leg hidden. Finally found it and got the colt out. He got up pretty quickly and was very active. Flutterby had no milk so gave her some oxytocin. Between her son constantly bothering her and the shot, her milk came in about 7 am. Herhas been making up for moms slow milk flow.

Flutterby is pretty swollen and has minor tears, but should heal just fine.

Here is a couple pictures. Will get more when weather is better. A warm and sunny Saturday actually became scattered thunderstorms; some strong.

20180519_095303-1.jpg

20180519_095437-1.jpg

Here is Flash at two days.

He is not as active as our others at this age. I think between a rough delivery (red bag, one front leg not aligned, and having to hurry to get him out) and mom rolling and catching a front leg (slight limp) he is a little down.

Mom was cramping again yesterday afternoon and had to give her more pain meds.

Here isa couple pictures of him at two days old. Barn name Flash.

20180521_123756-1.jpg

20180521_123836-1.jpg

Feather is 332 days and should foal any day. She is nicely bagged up and can express some clear sticky fluid. Improvement from last year when she had to bag.

20180521_100907.jpg

Latest posts

Back