Driving Hours 2018

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received the bells too yesterday. They're so awesome, I love them!!! Thank you very much
default_smile.png
I'm looking forward to use them with the sleigh! The ribbon will arrive tomorrow
default_smile.png

I drove on friday 70 minutes with team Teddy/Massai and 40 minutes of ground driving for Moony.

Yesterday I hitched Moony to the cart for a nice 50 min tour. He did great! Then, I drove with Teddy and Massai 70 minutes again.

Today, It's very rainy and muddy here, so I think I won't drive
default_sad.png

Hooray! I'm glad the bells reached everyone. They got to Switzerland almost as quick as the ones that stayed in the U.S. Go figure. I'm glad you guys are happy with your bells. LeRoy does great work I think. I have a larger set of his bells and I love the way they sound. Nothing beats those cast brass bells for sound IMO.

NorthWolf: Do you have a long mud season? Does it rain often in Switzerland?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cayuse: The ribbons arrived yesterday, thank you very much, I love them! I'll take pictures on the weekend
default_smile.png

@MajorClementine: Did your horses accept the bells from the beginning? Massai knows bells, as we owned an older set of bells a few years ago (unfortunately I've lost them), but the other horses do not know bells. I think I'll try them first on a walk to get the horses used to them.

Yes, we've 13 to 20 rain days per month. Usually, in winter (Dec to Mar) we have snow, but this winter is way too warm, so we have rain and mud... this is not normal to have so much mud, there are floods and mudslides all over the country at the moment. On the other way, in the higher regions, they have too much snow.

Northwolf, so glad to hear Moony is doing well!

I always put the bells on a horse and lead him around for awhile for the first time. Dapper Dan wears the sleighbells and I also fasten bells around his feet with velcro. He is noisy.

60 minutes ground driving for Buckly today.

Then I pulled the sulky up behind him by myself and he let me. A couple more times and I think I can attach them and lead him.

@MajorClementine: Did your horses accept the bells from the beginning? Massai knows bells, as we owned an older set of bells a few years ago (unfortunately I've lost them), but the other horses do not know bells. I think I'll try them first on a walk to get the horses used to them.
My horses never minded the bells. I would take them with me when I fed for a couple of days and jingle them while I walked up to the fence. After 2 days of that I hooked them to the harness with no problems. I love my bells now because the horses tend to ignore noise around them on drives better.

I'm impressed with our January numbers! So many of you out braving the cold, mud, snow and rain
default_smile.png

You didn't mention wind. We've been between 20-42 mph for several days. I'd welcome a little mud. We have had no appreciable moisture in two months. Some of the winter wheat hasn't even come up.

Thanks for the bell habituation tipps, Marsha and MajorClem
default_smile.png
Not yet tried it... but I'll get my horses use to the bells on the evening walks this week!

I drove on saturday 80 min with the team Teddy/Massai and on sundays 60 min again with the same. Great weather, but sadly not much time
default_sad.png

45 minutes of ground driving for Moony on sunday.

Just a quick check-in to say "THANK YOU" for the participation ribbon.

I haven't posted because on 20 January, my nephew was walking home from work and was hit by a truck and died instantly.

We've been planning the funeral, vigils and tonight we send him home to be buried in El Salvador.

Latest posts

Back