Seedy toe - white line disease

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debby - LB

Admin / Mod
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations to share for treating white line disease? What you did for treatment, outcome, pictures if possible. Thank you for your help.

I've used a product called White Lightning. You mix it 50/50 with vinegar. It creates a gas that permeates through the hoof cracks and crevices. I've had pretty good luck with it.

I'll go get some more of this, thank you both. I used White Lightening a few years ago for something else..didn't even think about it this time. Have either of you had to treat this? I've read a lot about it the last couple days. For some reason there are many horses around here this fall that have it including one of mine. The only thing in common that I can think of is after all the years of drought we had normal and above rainfall this year.

I can't help but think though how all this year I've been thinking how my horses do not look as healthy and shiney as they always did. Now this, so I'm thinking I'm missing something that's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used White Lightning to clear up thrush and stretched white line where the bacteria got in. Has always worked well for me in killing off the bacteria. That in itself will help to get rid of the seedy toe. You can also help with trimming. You can also get some Farriers Hoof Clay stuff. I can;t remember the name. I have some here out in the barn. It has tea tree oil and other things in this clay. After you thoroughly clean the seedy toe crevices and do the White Lightning soak, pack that hoof clay tight into the seedy toe areas(crevices) and it will serve to stop new crap from pushing up into that hole and causing more bacteria to get in, and keep the infection going. Also trimming a v in that are to keep the weight of it off the ground, also server in helping to prevent more crap from driving itself into the holes.

Major had it so bad one year that I had to resect his hoof wall about 1/2" up in a small section. He's got terrible feet and I let them go too long between trims one winter. Be sure to clean the dirt and crud out of the white line so air and whatever product you use can get in and kill the bacteria. Sometimes this means trimming the hoof wall a bit. Unless your mini has really sensitive feet, trimming the hoof wall at a 45 degree angle isn't a problem.

I use the Life data Hoof clay too. Highly recommend it .

My only advice is to clean the hoof well before packing it into the cracks. Its great for keeping Mud out.

Hope its a little cheaper than what I have to pay for it here.
default_smile.png

Personally, I love the White Lightning gel. IME its a bit easier to work with. When I used it, I cleaned the hoof thoroughly, applied the gel and then put on a pair of clean hoof boots. With a mild case, I'd just leave the boots on for several hours and then remove & clean them. With a more severe case, I left the boots on for about 20-22 hours then removed them for cleaning and to let the hooves dry out.

Latest posts

Back