Ringworm - UGH

3 replies to this topic

#1 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,438 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

I'd post this on the main forum, but this is not about minis, although minis can get it. (Most of you probably know Ringworm is a FUNGUS and not a worm....)

My daughter, Brianna, has decided to breed guinea pigs (cavies). We recently traveled to a small animal show 3 hours away for her to pick up two new ones to add to her small program. We soon discovered they were carrying Ringworm and ended up infecting 3 piglets already here, my daughter's dog, and now SHE has it!  We've also found out that many other guinea pigs that were at the show have it.  It's very contagious.

So managing the piglets is now done with rubber gloves and EVERYONE who has Ringworm got bathed with an anti-fungal shampoo and is being treated twice a day with Blue-cote and an anti-fungal ointment. The medicating has been going on for about 2 weeks now and seems to be clearing up FINALLY. (Just describing all this makes me itch!)

I'm just not sure how long this treatment is going to last. Does anyone know how long after the healing happens we can stop? .....Fortunately no other people or animals have caught it.

Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

I got one from a stray cat before.  Once it was gone, it was gone.

I feel for you with icky, contagious stuff!

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

I had ringworm, caught it from Peanut when we first had him. I treated it with clortrimazole for two weeks. The rash was gone in about a week but the label said treat for two, so I did and I remained cleared after stopping the ointment. Now I'm scratchin' again just thinking about it!

Edited by Cayuse, 07 November 2017 - 07:31 PM.

• Miniv likes this

#4 Debby - LB

Debby - LB

Someone just shoot me!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

I hate ringworm! Best part of it is that it's easy to treat and it generally disappears fast once treated. What I've been told is that treatment must continue past the time you "think" it's gone. Treatment should be continued from at least 2 weeks to 4 weeks... the meds you are using should have a suggestion as to how long. 

• Miniv likes this

Lil Beginnings Miniature Horse & Pony ...The Original Small Horse Social Network - since 1997 helping you promote your business down the street or across the globe!
Small Horse Connect Miniature Horse farm and related business directory - all things related to small equine....are you connected?

BowensDesign.com - Equine Web Design

The mind is a tricky thing. Biased by your experience, it colors and shapes your reality, manufacturing broad sweeping beliefs from small, questionable, points of data.

Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users