#11 Debby - LB

Debby - LB

Someone just shoot me!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

very good information from your Vet

Lil Beginnings Miniature Horse & Pony ...The Original Small Horse Social Network - since 1997 helping you promote your business down the street or across the globe!
Small Horse Connect Miniature Horse farm and related business directory - all things related to small equine....are you connected?

BowensDesign.com - Equine Web Design

The mind is a tricky thing. Biased by your experience, it colors and shapes your reality, manufacturing broad sweeping beliefs from small, questionable, points of data.

Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#12 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

He's still shedding them, but they look dead. I'm still mystified where he could have picked it up.  I know show stalls can harbor them, but he hasn't been anywhere near a stall.  I'm wondering if some wildlife could also host the equine version.  I need to research that.  I have deer and auodads here.  They are ruminants, not equids, but maybe??

#13 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

Vet replied promptly.  He said pinworms are present in lots of horses but sometimes don't cause any problems.  The moral: don't assume that your horse is parasite-free even with a fecal exam.  That has been my policy for many years, but it isn't fool proof.

• Debby - LB and Ryan Johnson like this

#14 Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

You would be surprised how easily they are transferred. Hay is a big culprit as it can harbor an egg or two and its usually all it takes to infect your horse. 

• PintoPalLover likes this

TayJay Miniature Horses

Victoria , Australia 

#15 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

It's been 3 weeks since the Ivermectin Gold.  Nearly every day I'm seeing he is still shedding, but they appear dead.  Still washing him every day.  One more week till I can give him the other product.  He isn't rubbing any more, thank goodness.  A forum member a few years ago suggested a product called Dermafas for scarring in ears. I  have been using it on his rubbed buttock areas.  He is healing fine, but it's been a slow process.  What a disgusting parasite! 

• Ryan Johnson likes this

#16 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

4 weeks and time for the pyrantel. (The ivermectin gold did not clear them up.) Says it is for mature strongyles, pin worms and large round worms. I would be embarrassed for anyone to see him. He might think I did not take care of my horses.

#17 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,254 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Quilting

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

Double dose of pyrantel pamoate will get Tapeworms. Since the Praziquantel has come on the market, you don't see the directions for pyrantel pamoate for Tapeworms.
  • Ryan Johnson likes this
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Bonny, Dolly, Baybe, Bliss, and Sophia
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

#18 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

Dosed yesterday and seeing some shed today.  What a hard critter to get rid of!  Will ask my vet about dosing him again in a few weeks.  Maybe that is why they had to order the pyrantel for me.  I'm just going by what the state vet recommended.

If anyone sees his horse scratching his rump excessively, consider pinworms and take action!   Ivermectin doesn't get them.

• Miniv, chandab and PintoPalLover like this

#19 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Dosed my new horse at the same time and today I saw some shed.  So he came to me with them.  I now advise everyone to dose with pyrantel pamoate . The Ivermectin just doesn't get those dirty rotten pinworms.  Vet gave me EXODUS MULTI-DOSE paste.

• Debby - LB, chandab and PintoPalLover like this

#20 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

I gave the original horse another single dose.   I have not seen any more in about 4 days, from either horse.  I've been washing his behind every day for weeks, as per instructed. This is gross, but might be helpful to someone:  as I wash his behind, I sometimes use the sprayer nozzle.  The stimulation of the spray sometimes made a worm come out; she must be right at the anal opening, ready to come out and lay eggs at night. It looked exactly like the online pictures I saw. I ground her into the dirt.  No wonder the poor horse was itching like mad.  Asked the vet yesterday about the small rice-like pieces in the manure.  He said if they are round, they are immature pinworms.  If flat, they are tapes.  They were round, thank goodness.  Hopefully we are getting in the clear with this.

I also asked him if the worms could live outside the horse and he said no.  The eggs, however, are not too bothered by cold but will die in heat or dryness.

Good luck to anyone dealing with these little monsters--the pinworms, not the horses.

• Debby - LB, Ryan Johnson, Cayuse and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users