New Projects Anyone?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3A8641D4-6725-4EDD-89E0-F35C5BA9597B.jpeg

I sew for my friend’s daughters American Girl dolls when I have time. They take a small amount of fabric and not fussy about the style.

It’s very beautiful. Was it easy? I’m thinking os doing something as a laprobe for my Dad in the nursing home.
Yes. There are video instructions and written instructions on line, just Google jelly roll race quilt.

Thank you for that information. When I get some time, I’ll be watching a YouTube of it.

Current project. Bought a quilt kit during a customer appreciation sale, so got a pretty good deal on fabric and pattern.

Attachments

• 2018-2019 - Jack's Star start.jpg
    2018-2019 - Jack's Star start.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 2
@Marsha Cassada YOU do some good sewing. I love that burgundy dress on Samantha?

The very worse item I ever sewed was a Snow White dress for Barbie. Those tiny puff sleeves had the red slashes actually inset. And I was doing if for someone that provided the fabric. Cheap horrible stuff.

Here is a photo of it:

14102339_1279836608694842_2696497725096898952_n.jpg

I used to make a ton of Barbie clothes. Actually, they were for a Cher doll mostly--that will date me! I gave away all my Barbie patterns as I didn't enjoy sewing that size any more. I know what you mean about the cheap fabric--the store bought clothes are all made of that shiny, sleazy stuff. Another reason I gave up sewing them--the girls preferred the store-bought ones. You did a nice job on that Snow White gown. Do you have a serger? I just pink the seams on my doll clothes.

I used to make a ton of Barbie clothes. Actually, they were for a Cher doll mostly--that will date me! I gave away all my Barbie patterns as I didn't enjoy sewing that size any more. I know what you mean about the cheap fabric--the store bought clothes are all made of that shiny, sleazy stuff. Another reason I gave up sewing them--the girls preferred the store-bought ones. You did a nice job on that Snow White gown. Do you have a serger? I just pink the seams on my doll clothes.

I've had a serger at one time but I just don't like using it so much. It trims the seams as it goes and if you need to use a seam ripper to correct a seam you are mostly out of luck. I more often do regular straight sewing and then will come back with an overcast stitch so there ends up being 2 lines of stitches. I do very few Barbie clothes now and mostly American Girl size since that's what my Granddaughters are interested in. Thankfully, 18" doll clothes are MUCH easier than 11.5 inch doll clothes.

Ladies, I’ve enjoyed seeing what you are making. I remember my grandma doing the crocheting and sewing, and she even made some dresses for my Barbie dolls.
But, I just don’t see how you do it. I can knit a little bit. Scarves and very easy 2 needle pull on hats. But, it’s been a long time since I’ve done either.
You are making me think I should get my knitting needles out.

Hi Clara, I see you’re new here too. You knit. That’s great you should get out your knitting needles now that it’s cooler weather and make a scarf for yourself and show us. I’d love to see something you’d make.

My granny made me some Barbie doll clothes when I was little, also.

I’ve started a new crochet project. I work on it mostly when watching some Cooking or HGTV. Do you like working with bright colors?

image.jpg

Love your colors and the pattern! I love to crochet with all the colors of the rainbow!

Working on a quilt guild exchange project now.
We all made half-square triangles with these special papers for accurate piecing, then we exchanged some, so everyone has a variety. Then, you can make any project you wish with your triangles. I made 84 half-square triangles; each sheet of triangle paper makes 28 pieces, I did 3 pages; I exchanged 30, kept 54 for some continuity in my project. That give me enough to make 6 blocks of my chosen pattern. Oh, and batik fabric was chosen. I actually have 3 blocks finished, but the picture was taken when I was starting out.
The drawing is my inspiration block (it's looking weird in thumbnail, so I hope the right picture uploaded).

Attachments

• 2019 - quilt guild triangle project - block 1.jpg
    2019 - quilt guild triangle project - block 1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 3
  • quilt block - hsts.jpg
    quilt block - hsts.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 3
I don't sew or any of this stuff by I have a cousin that does all that stuff. She's pretty good also. I think she would love what you are doing and I know it looks so good.

Love your colors and the pattern! I love to crochet with all the colors of the rainbow!

Thank you, I am drawn to bright colors that's why this yarn is so nice. It changes colors so I don't have to cut and tie on to make it fun.

@chardab Those are excellent quilt blocks. Have you decided what you are going to make with them? On a forum I was on a long time ago some of the ladies would get together and have what they called quilt block swaps. They'd decide a theme and then pick main colors At the end they sent all their blocks to a hostess that would get it where each person would get one of each block, and then send them all back. It was fun for them. They did them for years.

@chardab Those are excellent quilt blocks. Have you decided what you are going to make with them? On a forum I was on a long time ago some of the ladies would get together and have what they called quilt block swaps. They'd decide a theme and then pick main colors At the end they sent all their blocks to a hostess that would get it where each person would get one of each block, and then send them all back. It was fun for them. They did them for years.
I have not decided what I am going to make, but I have exactly enough of the triangle pieces to make 6 of the blocks shown, so whatever I make will not be very bit; might be a lap quilt, just not sure, yet.

@chandab That sounds like a good lap size or make 6 squares of print or solid colors to alternate with your pieced squares to make a full size quilt.

Latest posts

Back