Wear on back hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a little worried about Dapper Dan's back hooves. You can see he is dragging them pretty badly. Farrier doesn't seem too worried. I am thinking I will call the vet who prescribed the Adequan about a consultation. The front hooves are fine. He was seen by the chiro about 2 months ago and he didn't find anything particularly bad.

hind1.jpg

hind2.jpg

hind3.jpg

OK I am confused he has a hoof/dragging his rear legs, So is he an older horse if not he just sounds like he is lazy about picking up the back, that stuff you got is for pain according to the web site. I will ck back but i'm confused right now his hooves don't look that bad.

EQUIOXX is the first and only coxib NSAID approved for the control of pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis in horses

Yes, he is 20 years old and xrays show arthritis. He has been on Adequan for 3 years. This wear has worsened significantly this year. I'm going to try the Equioxx. I'm supposed to give it every day. Website says 30 days max, so I will try it and see if it helps. I do not think this hoof wear is a good thing, though I feel better about it that you don't seem to think it is that bad. I think I worry too much.

I had a pony on previcox which I believe is the same drug as equioxx, just marketed differently. He had arthritis in his hocks and it worked super for him. Our vet let us keep him on it indefinitely, but he was older than DD by a lot and we didnt think "indefinitely" would end up being three years, lol. He tolerated it really well. We were able to go down to every other day with it and still have it be effective.

Previcox is actually the dog version, Equioxx for horses, and the Equioxx now comes in tablets as well as liquid (injectable?) and paste.

He was on the Equiox for 4 tubes, 4 doses in each tube. I think it helped him alot so I will ask about extending it.
It comes in tablets for horses now, believe they are cheaper than the paste, but quartering a tab will probably be more difficult. [Don't know if the injectable could be effectively given orally.]

Last edited by a moderator:
I got four more tubes today. I need to wait a few more days to begin another 2 week round. Vet said to wait 2 weeks between the rounds. I asked the difference between banamine and equiox; she said sort of like between Advil and Tylenol.

Latest posts

Back