lethargic yearling mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpj

Reaction score
Hi all,

i have a yearling mini mare i have had her for 8 months, when i got her she was infested with lice, got rid of that dewormed her, got her on a good feeding program, anyway she has always been a quite horse and seemed lethargic when i brought her home, but then seemed to get a little better. but now i am noticing she is back to the way she was (NO lice or parasites).

she's eating ( A TONE) and drinking (a lot ) pooping peeing. she is in show shape and looks great but won't really play with my other two horses, i will be free lunging them and the other two will be running and playing but she will run one lap and then go to sleep in the centre. she seems to lay down a bit more then the others too.(no lameness). she is rather spooky, and can have a bit of excitement to her but then she's really tired after. just wondering if anyone has had this experience before? i was maybe thinking anemic (from the lice and just maybe has never been able to recover)

thanks

Sounds like ulcers
While I haven't heard of this symptom of ulcers, ulcers would make sense... young horse weaned, plagued by lice, and new home; stress and thus ulcers would make sense. Even with the improvement in care, if the ulcers are present, they don't usually heal without help.

Another thing to look into or just treat for would be sand in the gut.

I though ulcers maybe, too. Or tapeworms they can be difficult to eradicate and I don't think that they show up easily on a fecal (but don't hold me to that, not positive)

I had a mare I boarded out that lot condition after about threes months and went downhill. Come to find out the barn cats were using her stall as a litter box. We wormed her for tapes and she perked up.

I also thought of Lyme, I don't know if you are in an area where it is prevalent or not, but it can make them

feel lethargic and NQR.

Personally, I'd be concerned too....... You could start treating her for ulcers, but I'd also ask your vet to do blood work on her... and a fecal test.

Latest posts

Back